Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,474,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It clearly goes both ways if you go by this forum.... and they both hate Columbus.

It all really needs to stop. Hating on each other does not accomplish anything positive. The state and residents should be encouraging a more cooperative relationship. All 3 have their own weaknesses (and strengths), but they are stronger as a team rather than competitive enemies (despite what many here might believe to the contrary). Ohioans need to find a way to get over it.
In real life though, most people in Cleveland have an overwhelmingly positive view on Columbus. Me and my friends have always enjoyed coming down just to be in the city for Buckeye games, or to go to Comfest, Gallery Hops and take trips to German Village or COSI or the Olentangy Caverns. I did these things several times before I even moved there for school.

So many Columbusites are ex-Clevelanders and ex-Cincinnatians anyway. I don't think the hate on this board is actually reflective of real life. Although I will say, at my brother's graduation from UC, whoever the provost was did say something like "We are proud to be from Ohio, a state with great cities- Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. And yes, in that order." I thought it was kinda funny, but that's just one anecdote that I heard to suggest that Cincinnatians tend to be a little more anti-other Ohio cities than the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
In real life though, most people in Cleveland have an overwhelmingly positive view on Columbus. Me and my friends have always enjoyed coming down just to be in the city for Buckeye games, or to go to Comfest, Gallery Hops and take trips to German Village or COSI or the Olentangy Caverns. I did these things several times before I even moved there for school.

So many Columbusites are ex-Clevelanders and ex-Cincinnatians anyway. I don't think the hate on this board is actually reflective of real life. Although I will say, at my brother's graduation from UC, whoever the provost was did say something like "We are proud to be from Ohio, a state with great cities- Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. And yes, in that order." I thought it was kinda funny, but that's just one anecdote that I heard to suggest that Cincinnatians tend to be a little more anti-other Ohio cities than the rest of the state.
If it was just this forum, I would be less inclined to believe it, but I've seen it a lot of other places, at least with online media. I'm sure in real life, most people just don't talk about it as much, but I don't believe that it's only an issue with media. It comes from somewhere real.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,950,533 times
Quote:
It clearly goes both ways if you go by this forum.... and they both hate Columbus.

It all really needs to stop. Hating on each other does not accomplish anything positive. The state and residents should be encouraging a more cooperative relationship. All 3 have their own weaknesses (and strengths), but they are stronger as a team rather than competitive enemies (despite what many here might believe to the contrary). Ohioans need to find a way to get over it.
Of course it goes on in this forum. Like I stated before, I lived in Cinci and never knew there was a rivalry until then and it was just reinforced in the Enquirer editorial. If you recall Brent Larkin's article that CLE has some real problems if it loses the RNC to COL, there was no mention of Cinci at all. Let's face it, Larkin was providing the facts.

COL and CIN media, and the national media for that matter, like to play up CLE's problems and not its assets. This being the reason many are ''shocked'' that CLE won the RNC. This also creates the visitors that don't like CLE before they get there and refuse to like it no matter what. Of course the Dispatch and Enquirer immediately ran the ''RNC could be threatened in CLE because of LeBron's return'' theme stories.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:

I have never heard Cinci bashing from Cleveland folks as well. The football rivalry isn't that big since it's the Steelers v. Browns in Cleveland anyway.

I think Cinci has had these ''issues'' since it lost being the Queen City, way back in the 1870s and tend to be much more anti-Ohio cities in general and yet Cinci's tried to copy its version of the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame and The Flats from CLE...it's actually hilarious.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,227 times
Quote:
...I don't think the hate on this board is actually reflective of real life. Although I will say, at my brother's graduation from UC, whoever the provost was did say something like "We are proud to be from Ohio, a state with great cities- Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. And yes, in that order." I thought it was kinda funny, but that's just one anecdote that I heard to suggest that Cincinnatians tend to be a little more anti-other Ohio cities than the rest of the state.
You're ascribing undue importance to this anecdote concerning the provost's listing of the "3-Cs," and then employing it to infer something that doesn't exist.

The provost probably referred to the three cities the way he did either because, alphabetically, that's their correct arrangement or, MSA-wise, that's their proper order.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM

<I>Crain's</I> editorial: Team Cleveland - Cleveland Business News - Northeast Ohio and Cleveland - Crain's Cleveland Business

Back on topic a bit, at least some in Cleveland are throwing their support for the DNC to go to Columbus.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
I honestly hope that Columbus does get the DNC. It will truly show that as Ohio goes, so goes the rest of the nation.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
<I>Crain's</I> editorial: Team Cleveland - Cleveland Business News - Northeast Ohio and Cleveland - Crain's Cleveland Business

Back on topic a bit, at least some in Cleveland are throwing their support for the DNC to go to Columbus.
Are there any articles or editorials from COL and CIN supporting CLE's RNC bid or positive articles overall?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Are there any articles or editorials from COL and CIN supporting CLE's RNC bid or positive articles overall?
Not that I know of, but considering they were all competing at the time, that probably would not have been likely. Now that Cleveland won the RNC, they're more free to support Columbus' bid for the DNC.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Not that I know of, but considering they were all competing at the time, that probably would not have been likely. Now that Cleveland won the RNC, they're more free to support Columbus' bid for the DNC.
After both COL and CIN were eliminated from the RNC competition there should have been an endorsement or support from each city to have the RNC in Cleveland; there was not a peep of support for CLE from its ''peer'' C cities and last week's Enquirer editorial summed it all up. Thanks a lot for the support Ohio, especially COL and CIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio