Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 09:33 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Let me guess, The Dispatch and locals are telling you this. Of course the DNC is going to say it is ''impressed'' with Cbus, it is one of the final cities. What insight!

The convention center and arena in Cbus are close but accessing from Springfield, Dayton or Mansfield might be an issue. While accessability and logistics between the convention center and arena are good, everything else is bad. Accessing the Wachovia Center from Center Philly in 10 minutes on an express subway or from Manhattan to Brooklyn sure trumps a coach bus ride from Troy, Ohio. More people can stay within a subway ride to the arenas in Brooklyn or Philly than can access the convention center/arena in Columbus.

The Cleveland issue isn't due to it being an important international metropolis, it's because the RNC is there in 2016. Sorry, but true. If the RNC wasn't in Cleveland, the DNC would be.

Seriously, why did the RNC bail on Columbus so quickly in the 1st elimination round if the logistics and accessability are so great? I know the RNC had minimum requirements for local transit, in terms of buses. This is why Cleveland and Cincinnati made the 1st round; Cinci bowed out because of its 1974 Arena, the one built during Watergate and Vietnam.

The pundits are saying that Columbus most likely not able to handle the DNC but it could get it because the RNC is in Cleveland. Do the Dems risk Ohio by having the RNC there alone or do they risk another fiasco like Charlotte?

All this talk from Cinci about lack of rail access is an excuse as will be the case if Columbus loses; Charlotte has rail and DNC was a disaster and Obama lost North Carolina.

Charlotte has 1 rail line...I lived there...that was it...I lived right off that line though so for me it was convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
A success is winning the RNC; a failure is losing it. The OC is neither as of yet since it hasn't been built.

The fate of Cinci's Streetcar is the same way; however, it's already facing major financial issues and it is still about 1 1/2 years from opening. More Cinci folly trying to be Portland, Oregon at any cost or huge financial success spurring billions in spin-off development. Time will tell. I would suggest that Phase II get started since the route of Phase I is quite walkable anyway. Cinci prides itself on being very walkable yet builds a streetcar in the same very walkable part of town.

Had Kasuck not stripped the state funding, both phases of the Cincy street car would have been completed.
I have no doubt that it will be successful though. Despite the new idiotic mayor's attempt to cancel it.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,948,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Charlotte has 1 rail line...I lived there...that was it...I lived right off that line though so for me it was convenient.
I only mentioned Charlotte and rail because Cinci and Columbus tried to play up transit and a lack of rail transit at that as being the reason they were a fail with the RNC. Charlotte has rail and was considered to be a failure with the 2012 DNC.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
Quote:
Charlotte has rail and DNC was a disaster and Obama lost North Carolina.
Disaster?

Lost NC? He won the United States and that's the goal. If you think that the purpose of the location is the win the local state, then you don't understand much about the parties work.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
Yeah, the only convention for which I'd use the term "disaster" is the 2012 RNC, not because Romney lost Florida, but because they scheduled it during hurricane season and paid for it.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah, the only convention for which I'd use the term "disaster" is the 2012 RNC, not because Romney lost Florida, but because they scheduled it during hurricane season and paid for it.
It was a financial disaster for the DNC.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Disaster?

Lost NC? He won the United States and that's the goal. If you think that the purpose of the location is the win the local state, then you don't understand much about the parties work.
If you were following the posts JoeP you might realize the reference to be about having a convention in a state expecting to win that state; the DNC went to Charlotte for this reason and Obama lost North Carolina in 2012. Obama won NC in 2008, a regular red state so that's why the DNC went to Charlotte, to keep NC. Why else would it go to Charlotte? Same thing with the RNC in 2012-Florida. Now it's Ohio. A trend for 2012 and so far, 2016. Let's see where the Dems go in 2016.

The debt post-Charlotte was $25 million; a financial disaster.

We all know who won the 2012 election.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 PM

417 posts, read 595,004 times
The RNC probably did not come to Columbus because they already have the Republican vote. Cleveland is what makes Ohio a swing state IMHO. If it were not for southern Ohio, it might actually be a blue state. I don't think Cbus will get the DNC because we do lack the needed transportation. Port Columbus needs to improve more also. They don't have any lounges for business travelers whereas Cleveland Hopkins has it. There are many other things that Cleveland has that Cbus because Cleveland built things during its prosperous times. People underestimate Cleveland which works to its advantage. They figured out that they need to sell and invest. I pray that Cbus continues on its path of investing and selling the city.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 PM

368 posts, read 639,132 times
all kidding aside..the DNC would not be considering Columbus if it wasn't able to pull off a convention..media people are already raving on how great the NHL all star game weekend is going in Columbus..many comment on the great setup of arena,convention center,short north all in walking distance..columbus has mojo

Old 01-24-2015, 01:48 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
The RNC probably did not come to Columbus because they already have the Republican vote. Cleveland is what makes Ohio a swing state IMHO. If it were not for southern Ohio, it might actually be a blue state. I don't think Cbus will get the DNC because we do lack the needed transportation. Port Columbus needs to improve more also. They don't have any lounges for business travelers whereas Cleveland Hopkins has it. There are many other things that Cleveland has that Cbus because Cleveland built things during its prosperous times. People underestimate Cleveland which works to its advantage. They figured out that they need to sell and invest. I pray that Cbus continues on its path of investing and selling the city.
Franklin County hasn't gone Republican in a presidential election since 1992. Its share of democratic votes went from 48% in 1996 to 60% in 2012, and had the 2nd highest total of Democratic county votes in the state that year. City leadership has been almost entirely, if not entirely Democratic for more than 15 years. I guess I don't know where you think Columbus is some kind of lock for Republicans. It's only turning more blue with time, not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio