Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM

36 posts, read 50,020 times

Advertisements

This is very disappointing news. I wish after all the years of binge-drinking and "who know what" else that goes on too much in Athens, a generation of students there somewhere along the line in whatever decade decides the opportunity for an education in a beautiful part of the country is to be appreciated to where things like the "Palmer Fest riots" (and other various alcohol fueled annual incidents) are not worth the bad publicity and next-morning hangovers. And yes, I am aware that some of the trouble in Athens is caused by "outsiders" from other school and other towns.

At the recent bowl...
According to WOUB News, officers attempted to calm (name of student here) while leading him back to his room. He began shouting obscenities at various people in the hotel and resisted police's efforts to take him into custody. Authorities had to use a stun gun to subdue (student).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 12:37 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,541,360 times
He told police he “didn’t know which room was his,” according to the report and resisted arrest? Sounds like society has been blessed with another idiot.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM

It cost him a full scholarship. Was it worth it get plastered at a (not all that big) college bowl game trip?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:42 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,523,948 times
In his defense, it was the Beef O'Brady Bowl. Hard not to get pretty pumped and go crazy for that game.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,180,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llfndrsng View Post
It cost him a full scholarship. Was it worth it get plastered at a (not all that big) college bowl game trip?
The Honors/scholarship kids are the socially dumbest. And this is coming from one.

Definitely a mentality of invincibility / nothing bad will ever happen, etc. But bad things happen. Either way this individual will learn a lot from the incident, and likely be a better person for it

Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
In his defense, it was the Beef O'Brady Bowl. Hard not to get pretty pumped and go crazy for that game.
You forgot to add "sarcasm alert" to that.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,844,844 times
GSS joins cries to remove Southall; Student Senate committee reviews presidency | The Post
There was something amiss before that incident, apparently. It's a trivial incident that most people won't ever hear about, so not much embarrassment for the University or Athens. Sounds like Southall has a problem with alcohol. Now he'll just have to pay for school like everyone else.

(I used to live in Charleston, WV and had friends from/in Marietta and Athens, so that is my connection. LOL)

Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 PM

17,680 posts, read 13,494,771 times
I'm not saying that I didn't drink in college (and high school) but being around college students who binge drink is an eye opening experience. MrsM and I were invited to a wedding of college age friends of the family.

The amount of alcohol consumed was mind boggling. I know that the brides parents and hotel would have been held liable if something bad didnt happen. Thank God nothing bad occurred (that we heard about)

Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,844,844 times
I grew up in a small mill town (town is real small, the mills were not), and the binge drinking and also pot smoking and solvent huffing and abuse of other substances was rampant at least from the leading edge of the Baby Boomers onward. Millworker culture as well as the ethnic mix had social drinking firmly embraced, lol. I remember there were some major drinking bashes when I was in high school, but I was never interested in it, plus the teachers' kids were automatically excluded unless they were wilder than everyone else. There were some unintended pregnancies, and there was one (teacher's) kid who made the newspaper because he was found lying passed out in the middle of a downtown street or something. But he overcame it and went on to a successful career in NY. I don't recall anyone getting killed or paralyzed in a drunken accident. But both of my nephews are early 20s and each has a close friend who is now a paraplegic due to some accident that happened due to excessive drinking. I find that appalling, especially in such a small town where 2 of anything like that is startling. But, that's how they roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio