Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that these boards are kind of slow, so I thought a game might be in order. Everybody has interesting tidbits and little known facts about their parts of the State. Give us a few clues, and we'll try to guess where the town or city is. I'll start off by giving a real easy one for everybody to get warmed up on. Feel free to contribute your own. Have fun, and we might all even learn something.

Garrett Morgan was born in Kentucky and moved to two different Ohio cities. He is known for inventing the gas mask, a zig zag attachment for sewing machines, and the Morgan traffic signal. Name the two cities he lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,467 times
Im gonna go with Dayton and Cincinnati. LOL the reason im going with these two is because many from Kentucky move to these places. BTW, good idea to start up some conversations.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM

I'll give half credit for Cincinnati. That's where he started. He then moved farther North. Keep trying for the other city.

He used his gas mask to save 32 men from a mine under Lake Erie. I remember seeing a very good episode on The History Channel about him.

After this question gets answered, I have two more that are a lttle more difficult.

Feel free to add your own trivia questions.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
cleveland was one city

Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM

what town was the zipper invented?

Old 12-04-2006, 05:31 PM

Very good. Cleveland is the other correct city. This is the link to provide more info on Garrett Morgan. http://inventors.about.com/library/i...blgas_mask.htm

I'll give somebody else a chance to answer before I take a shot at the zipper question.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:50 PM

I'm going to be real interested in the zipper answer. My research shows this to be more difficult than I originally thought.

In the mean time here's another one to chew on.

The winners.............Local law enforcement.

The loser.................Pretty Boy Floyd.

Name the area and how you came up with your answer.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM

i have no proof other than when i asked how the akron u zips got their name ,i was told the zipper was invented there....but their mascot is a kangaroo????? so i have no facts just heresay. but it sounded good to me.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM

ok i found it
View the original 1917 Sundback patent for the "Separable Fastener"

The popular 'zipper' name came from the B. F. Goodrich Company, when they decided to use Gideon's fastener on a new type of rubber boots or galoshes and renamed the device the zipper, the name that lasted. Boots and tobacco pouches with a zippered closure were the two chief uses of the zipper during its early years. It took twenty more years to convince the fashion industry to seriously promote the novel closure on garments.

In the 1930’s, a sales campaign began for children's clothing featuring zippers. The campaign praised zippers for promoting self-reliance in young children by making it possible for them to dress in self-help clothing. The zipper beat the button in the 1937 in the "Battle of the Fly," when French fashion designers raved over zippers in men's trousers. Esquire magazine declared the zipper the "Newest Tailoring Idea for Men" and among the zippered fly's many virtues was that it would exclude "The Possibility of Unintentional and Embarrassing Disarray." Obviously, the new zippered trouser owners had not yet discovered the experience of forgetting to zip-up.

The next big boost for the zipper came when zippers could open on both ends, as on jackets. Today the zipper is everywhere, in clothing, luggage and leather goods and countless other objects. Thousands of zipper miles produced daily, meet the needs of consumers, thanks to the early efforts of the many famous zipper inventors.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I'm going to be real interested in the zipper answer. My research shows this to be more difficult than I originally thought.

In the mean time here's another one to chew on.

The winners.............Local law enforcement.

The loser.................Pretty Boy Floyd.

Name the area and how you came up with your answer.
i was taught in school that a black man from cleveland invented the traffic light i forgot his name just that he was black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio