Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
No offense to anyone who lives in Cleveland. And I won't take kindly to the Jersey-ite stereotype I hate it as much as anyone does! Seriously we are nice people(myself and the spouse) I pulled up a googlemaps view of some areas in Cleveland. It is depressingly ugly. Just like so many other Great Lakes cities. Never been to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but would visit.

I also posted on the Pittsburgh forum and even they suggested Columbus. I know this city has outgrown Cleveland and Cincinnati. Is it stable? I already applied to a government job in Newark, OH. Any info on that?
Stable economically? Yes, very. But that's Columbus. I don't know if that job in Newark is local government or not, but I'd imagine a small city would be less stable, though Newark is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
So you looked at a few random samples of areas of Cleveland and came to the conclusion that it's ugly? Okay, suit yourself, I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that it's not if this is how you make your determinations. But all I can say is that I find Cleveland to be quite beautiful actually, and I'm frequently in awe at places in this city, something I can't say about a lot of cities.
Whoaa. Not coming to that conclusion, just saying what I saw in those pics is ugly and does not look any different from MANY areas in NJ. I have heard from other sources that Cleveland is not the greatest place, as well as many other Great Lakes cities like Detroit. Although I cannot imagine anything else being as bad as Detroit. And my family's roots hail from Camden, which is almost like a smaller version of Detroit. Didn't mean to come off as harsh. And I am sure it is beautiful on the water.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:33 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Please realize that, although Columbus proper is by far Ohio's largest city, its metro-area is only the state's third largest, behind Cincinnati then Cleveland.
Interesting. Actually today someone told me that more people work in Cleveland than live there. They live in surrounding suburban towns, not the city itself. I find it rather surprising though that the city itself shrunk to a population less than that of other cities in the state. And that Columbus has been a fast growing city only over the past 20 or so years, is what made me want to focus on that area actually.

My cousin married a guy from Cincinnati. Guess I probably should have asked him about what the job market was like then (they just got divorced).

Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM

14,678 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:
Interesting. Actually today someone told me that more people work in Cleveland than live there. They live in surrounding suburban towns, not the city itself. I find it rather surprising though that the city itself shrunk to a population less than that of other cities in the state. And that Columbus has been a fast growing city only over the past 20 or so years, is what made me want to focus on that area actually.

My cousin married a guy from Cincinnati. Guess I probably should have asked him about what the job market was like then (they just got divorced).
The job market is best in Columbus, which is why its population continues to grow exponentially.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The job market is best in Columbus, which is why its population continues to grow exponentially.
Really? How so?
Cincinnati added 27,481 jobs since last year.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Columbus added 18,624 jobs since last year.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Really? How so?
Cincinnati added 27,481 jobs since last year.

Columbus added 18,624 jobs since last year.

The Columbus area never lost as many jobs as the rest of the state to begin with.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
Quote:
Whoaa. Not coming to that conclusion, just saying what I saw in those pics is ugly and does not look any different from MANY areas in NJ. I have heard from other sources that Cleveland is not the greatest place, as well as many other Great Lakes cities like Detroit. Although I cannot imagine anything else being as bad as Detroit. And my family's roots hail from Camden, which is almost like a smaller version of Detroit. Didn't mean to come off as harsh. And I am sure it is beautiful on the water.
It is beautiful on more than just the water. Downtown, University Circle, Shaker Heights have some of the most beautiful architecture and landscapes in any city, anywhere.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Columbus area never lost as many jobs as the rest of the state to begin with.
Not sure what you mean. If a metro is producing more jobs that means it has the better performing economy. If it was producing less jobs wouldn't it have a under performing economy?

Which is which? Can't continue to fudge numbers for your benefit forever.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean. If a metro is producing more jobs that means it has the better performing economy. If it was producing less jobs wouldn't it have a under performing economy?

Very much a needed addition to this "Ohio Overview" for a NJ visitor/OP. Columbus may promise employment in its blue-collar sector, but equally so does Cincinnati, the largest of the "3-C" metros. There are "success stories" to relate about either the Cbus or Cincy metros, but (then again) it's all about what the OP wishes to hear and believe. Indeed, both Ohio metros are winners, but they are neither the same nor are they equal.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:

If you have two business owners who each employ ten people, one lays off two while the other lays off four....is the latter really in a better position when he hires two back while the former hires one? Unemployment numbers are the best indicator for a region's health, and those have favored Columbus now and over the past five years. Those are the facts, free of cheerleader bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio