Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times

Advertisements

I am 29 years old, wife is 26. We live in NJ, no kids yet but planning to once we can get ourselves situated. We hate New Jersey and are tired of the congestion, nasty people and tanked economy.

How is the job market in Ohio? I know areas like Cleveland are in rough shape, but I have heard that the state as a whole is doing pretty well. We would like to zero in on an area that has seen a significant comeback over the past year or two since the recession. I know things have not been great, but the future of NJ is bleak with this two faced governor we have and it is rapidly turning into a modern day version of Lang's Metropolis.

Any good word on some place like Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
What industry/career trajectory are you & the wife seeking? That would give us a better idea of how to answer your question...

Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM

My background is in education, but have been out of that for a long time now with the budget cuts, and have no desire to go back into it. Currently doing manual labor but am at a dead end and there is no future here. I am very open to new things if I can become a manager in distribution or something then that might work, as long as it allows growth and promotion. The wife just works in retail, she has a HS education.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
Well, because the Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus triangle is within a day's semi-truck drive of such a large percentage of the US population, there are a lot of warehouses and distribution centers, especially on the west side of Columbus and the northern part of the Cincinnati area.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Lots of blue collar work here in Cleveland. The manufacturing sector has been improving of late.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
The problem though, is so much of Ohio's population is undereducated (due to those "blue collar" roots) and those type of jobs are too few for the many people who are fighting for them. The only sector I can see open for those moving without a college degree or specific career field in mind would be the whole hydraulic fracturing industry in the eastern part of the state.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 PM

No offense to anyone who lives in Cleveland. And I won't take kindly to the Jersey-ite stereotype I hate it as much as anyone does! Seriously we are nice people(myself and the spouse) I pulled up a googlemaps view of some areas in Cleveland. It is depressingly ugly. Just like so many other Great Lakes cities. Never been to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but would visit.

I also posted on the Pittsburgh forum and even they suggested Columbus. I know this city has outgrown Cleveland and Cincinnati. Is it stable? I already applied to a government job in Newark, OH. Any info on that?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:00 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
No offense to anyone who lives in Cleveland. And I won't take kindly to the Jersey-ite stereotype I hate it as much as anyone does! Seriously we are nice people(myself and the spouse) I pulled up a googlemaps view of some areas in Cleveland. It is depressingly ugly. Just like so many other Great Lakes cities. Never been to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but would visit.

I also posted on the Pittsburgh forum and even they suggested Columbus. I know this city has outgrown Cleveland and Cincinnati. Is it stable? I already applied to a government job in Newark, OH. Any info on that?
I don't find Cleveland to be ugly.

Newark, Ohio is a horrible, horrible place. Unless you like meth, pick up trucks, ATVs, and Walmart.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:

So you looked at a few random samples of areas of Cleveland and came to the conclusion that it's ugly? Okay, suit yourself, I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that it's not if this is how you make your determinations. But all I can say is that I find Cleveland to be quite beautiful actually, and I'm frequently in awe at places in this city, something I can't say about a lot of cities.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
I also posted on the Pittsburgh forum and even they suggested Columbus. I know this city has outgrown Cleveland and Cincinnati.
Please realize that, although Columbus proper is by far Ohio's largest city, its metro-area is only the state's third largest, behind Cincinnati then Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio