Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM

48 posts, read 84,471 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty new to the area and just curious why there is no diversity in this area (Cortland)?

Is there more diversity in Howland schools compared to Lakeview?

Any information you can provide me about Howland High School (academics, diversity, how accepting they are to new students etc)
would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 04:03 PM

912 posts, read 1,734,478 times
You're in a pretty small town/rural area. That's why there isn't any diversity. According to the Ohio school report cards, Lakeview is 95% white and Howland is 87% white. So it's a little more diverse, but not by much. Howland is a good school academic-wise.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,854,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridge View Post
I'm pretty new to the area and just curious why there is no diversity in this area (Cortland)?

Is there more diversity in Howland schools compared to Lakeview?

Any information you can provide me about Howland High School (academics, diversity, how accepting they are to new students etc)
would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ohio is one of the most segregated states in america. i know this from having grown up there for 23 years then spending these last 10 in South Carolina. rarely in ohio do you get school that have 50/50 or 33/33/33/ race enrollments. in ohio you are more apt to find a school is either 80-90% white or the opposite. even the suburbs get segregated with the parma's and mentor's of the world being almost all white and the warrensvilles being all black.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM

48 posts, read 84,471 times
Thank you YO for the response! The link was very helpful.

I agree with you Greenvillebuckeye. Having very little diversity in an area is such a foreign concept to me.This has been our 9 th move and we have lived in many different states (Califirnia, Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Kansas to name a few) and have never experienced anything like this. We are military so I know that is a big part of it.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,251,105 times
People are going to live most often around the same kind of people...hence thats why you have the schools in OH like this...most black people live in the cities and not the rural country side so it makes since that small town rural schools are mostly white. It also makes sense than that even some suburban schools are mostly black or mostly white.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,943,486 times
As everyone else is stating Ohio is mostly black and white. There are very few asians and hispanics in the Youngstown/Warren area. Pretty much the only diversity you're going to get is if you move into a district like Warren where you'll have more black kids and perhaps a couple asians or hispanics. Some people don't like Warren's schools because of class/poverty issues and crime. Probably 50% of the kids in Warren live below the poverty line. You get a little bit more diversity of incomes/class in Howland, but not much more than Cortland/Bazetta..........Howland just happens to have more minority doctors, etc living there.................

Just an FYI, unlike the other areas of this country that you've lived, Northeast Ohio's population is on the decline.........we don't have many immigrants or first generation Americans here anymore. Our population/immigrant population surged between 1900-1960 due to the good paying industrial jobs that were here. The "white" people you see here now are 2 or 3 generations removed from our immigrant past. This area was a destination for Italians, Greeks, Slovaks (we have the highest population of Slovaks in all of the U.S.), Polish, Germans, Croatians, Puerto Ricans (Campbell/East Youngstown), etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,734,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
As everyone else is stating Ohio is mostly black and white. There are very few asians and hispanics in the Youngstown/Warren area. Pretty much the only diversity you're going to get is if you move into a district like Warren where you'll have more black kids and perhaps a couple asians or hispanics. Some people don't like Warren's schools because of class/poverty issues and crime. Probably 50% of the kids in Warren live below the poverty line. You get a little bit more diversity of incomes/class in Howland, but not much more than Cortland/Bazetta..........Howland just happens to have more minority doctors, etc living there.................
I was curious, so I looked up the report card for Harding:
46% black
42% white
10% multiracial

99.7% economically disadvantaged

Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,943,486 times
Pretty spot on.........

Old 05-10-2014, 04:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,636,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Ohio is one of the most segregated states in america. i know this from having grown up there for 23 years then spending these last 10 in South Carolina. rarely in ohio do you get school that have 50/50 or 33/33/33/ race enrollments. in ohio you are more apt to find a school is either 80-90% white or the opposite. even the suburbs get segregated with the parma's and mentor's of the world being almost all white and the warrensvilles being all black.

What you don't get in South Carolina is the ethnic diversity that northeast Ohio has. First and second generation Hungarians, Puerto Ricans, Italians, Irish, Serbians, Albanians, Armenians, Lebanese, Indians, Israelis, Somalians, Syrians, Romanians, etc. There are schools that on paper are very "white", but there could be 35+ languages spoken in the hallways (ie: Lakewood and to an extent Rocky River). Arabs are also considered white by US census bureaus and there are very large populations throughout the region. Culturally speaking, it's not even close comparing NE Ohio to S Carolina. This is 100% the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio