Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,182,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Work - life balance does not occur at work.

You are being paid to work, not post on Facebook.
That's a perfectly acceptable stance for a company to have. That is, just as long as the minute I leave work I am no longer expected to tend to any company business. However, that is never the case. I haven't had a job yet where I wasn't expected to answer important phone calls and emails at night and on the weekends. I'm also usually expected to handle project work from home when a deadline needs to be met. Therefore, I'll continue using my smart phone anytime I damn well please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,151,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
That's a perfectly acceptable stance for a company to have. That is, just as long as the minute I leave work I am no longer expected to tend to any company business. However, that is never the case. I haven't had a job yet where I wasn't expected to answer important phone calls and emails at night and on the weekends. I'm also usually expected to handle project work from home when a deadline needs to be met. Therefore, I'll continue using my smart phone anytime I damn well please.
In your line of work there's a reason to use one, but were there's a factory setting, phones are not needed. In fact they can be quite dangers every time they turn their attention away from moving mechanical equipment.

So phones should be kept out in their cars.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 AM

As long as no company business is expected to be handled outside of the factory, I agree that phone usage should be restricted to breaks and dire emergencies. This is rarely the case, however.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
As long as no company business is expected to be handled outside of the factory, I agree that phone usage should be restricted to breaks and dire emergencies. This is rarely the case, however.
Even the emergencies need to be called into the offices and word sent out onto the floor to the person. This particular company has it now that they can't even have the phone in the plant at all. If they want to use their personal phones they MUST do so on the their personal time and that means they must clock out to do so.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Even the emergencies need to be called into the offices and word sent out onto the floor to the person. This particular company has it now that they can't even have the phone in the plant at all. If they want to use their personal phones they MUST do so on the their personal time and that means they must clock out to do so.

"Good morning, ABC Industries."
"I need to speak with Mr. EarthBound immediately, his child is being rushed to the hospital!!!!"
"Please hold."
<enter crappy hold music>
<5 minutes>
<more crappy music>
"I'm sorry, who were you holding for?"

Brilliant policy...

Old 06-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
"I need to speak with Mr. EarthBound immediately, his child is being rushed to the hospital!!!!"
"Please hold."
<5 minutes>
<more crappy music>

Brilliant policy...
If you can't add to this thread without cursing and sarcasm, then you need not reply to it at all. Thank you have a nice day.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Who cursed? Sarcasm and satire (in this case, a quasi-real world example) are fantastic methods to be used when proving a point. The point, in case you didn't get it, was that oppressive bureaucracy can and often does have an enormous downside. Common sense rules are far more appropriate in this case.

Btw, I've worked as an engineer in many factories. I found that 95% of the workers are both diligent and conscientious. They all knew when it was appropriate to use their phones. You don't punish the majority who are solid and good workers because of a few idiots.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
FWIW, this is the kind of policy that will keep millennials, who are currently 20-somethings, from wanting to work at a company. They value work-life balance and they will leave employers who don't provide it.
Good, that will free up jobs for people who expect to work at work.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Quote:
"Please hold."
<5 minutes>
<more crappy music>

Brilliant policy...

Because God knows no one ever received an emergency message before the invention of the cell phone.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
The no cell phone policy has to start at school and then it won't be such a shock when they get out in the real world.
I'm just glad that our kids did not have to grow up in the cell/I phone age while in school. Can you imagine how difficult it must be to have to deal withe pre teen kids who have to have a phone because all the other kids have phones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: