Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:20 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,845,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Was swimming in lake Erie today near bay village. The water was cool clear and looked clean.. The lake is getting better every year...
I hope you did't judge clear water for being clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 AM

220 posts, read 331,259 times
Now there's another Ohio waterway with some deadly chemicals in it, and there are reportedly up to a few miles of dead fish. A fracking well caught on fire last week & it spread to 20 trucks on the drill pad which exploded. Its speculated that when the firefighters put out the fire, the run-off ran into Possum Creek.

20-25 families were evacuated. Its too bad they couldn't evacuate the fish too.

"“It sounds like it was not just smoke and not just fire, but a major fish kill,” he said. “Both the company and state agencies owe the public a full public accounting of what went wrong and how they are going to prevent future occurrences.”"

Fish kill in eastern Ohio might be linked to fire at fracking well | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,268,551 times
Hence why they need to ban fracking until they can A)Guarentee no accidents liket this...B)Stop causing earth quakes in non earthquake zones from the shooting chemicals deep into the ground.

This is a polluters dream state.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,128,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Hence why they need to ban fracking until they can A)Guarentee no accidents liket this...B)Stop causing earth quakes in non earthquake zones from the shooting chemicals deep into the ground.

This is a polluters dream state.
That seems unrealistic. Oil drilling hasn't been banned for things like the Deepwater disaster. Alternative energies are the best bet, but there's a certain party that can't stand anything but fossil fuels.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 PM

350 posts, read 850,677 times
Spent many summers in the waters of the Muddy Maumee near Liberty Center... Guess I'm good as dead

Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM

More info on that fracking fire fish kill, and the unknown fracking chemicals in 4 of the trucks which exploded~

Are fracking chemicals from Monroe County fire and spill headed toward the Ohio River?

We need to know what's getting into our water supply. I know in NC before they've even started fracking, Halliburton lobbyists wrote the bill that would ban the disclosure of chemicals used in fracking. (Then they also made it a felony to do so, when the real felony in a civilized society should be risking lives for profit, but I digress.)

Is that what happened here in Ohio? How did it become law that the toxic chemicals could be shielded under the guise of "trade secrets" rather than allowing us to know exactly how worried we should be in accidents like this. Or the fact that ground soil gets contaminated, stays contaminated and spreads. But we don't know how exactly bad that is because we are kept in the dark for sake of oil profits...

Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That seems unrealistic. Oil drilling hasn't been banned for things like the Deepwater disaster. Alternative energies are the best bet, but there's a certain party that can't stand anything but fossil fuels.
I was living on the Emerald Coast of Florida when the Deepwater Horizon spill happened...while Panama City Beach remained clean (Bay County guarded its beaches w/ floating booms that helped)...if you drover 60 miles west to Navarre Beach and another 20 miles to Pensacola Beach...they were covered in oil...I helped in the cleanup...it was so disgusting...and so sad to watch...and to this day I can't believe Obama didn't issue an executive order to cease all deepwater drilling because of the dangers that showed.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I was living on the Emerald Coast of Florida when the Deepwater Horizon spill happened...they were covered in oil...I helped in the cleanup..
Thank you! I can't even imagine how difficult that was.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverLover11 View Post
Thank you! I can't even imagine how difficult that was.
They made us wear these protective suits....they were hot, and stuck to your body due to the sweat in the hot humid Florida sun.
One of the guys I was with and I tried to rescue a badly struggling dolphin that was oil covered...we held it and poured water from our bottles to try and get some of the oil off it while Fish & Wildlife officers were dispatched...you could see the pain in its eyes...when the officers got there, they took him to a marine park to try and clean him off and get him better, but he died.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,128,556 times
Quote:
I was living on the Emerald Coast of Florida when the Deepwater Horizon spill happened...while Panama City Beach remained clean (Bay County guarded its beaches w/ floating booms that helped)...if you drover 60 miles west to Navarre Beach and another 20 miles to Pensacola Beach...they were covered in oil...I helped in the cleanup...it was so disgusting...and so sad to watch...and to this day I can't believe Obama didn't issue an executive order to cease all deepwater drilling because of the dangers that showed.
No president would have. It's a huge business that employs many thousands of people. Not to mention that the US is still largely dependent on oil (though most of the Gulf stuff gets shipped elsewhere). That's why I say investing in alternatives is the best long-term bet, but until the GOP gets on board with that, it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio