Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 06:03 AM

220 posts, read 330,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Organic farming practices are actually hurting the lake. Farmers are using more manure and not tilling.

Ohio is also getting more storms. The rain washes everything into the sewers and rivers.
Yep, more rain is hurting us in that regard. However, all farms use manure for fertilizing. I wish there were that many organic farms for the blame to go directly to them. Here's the difference~

"Both conventional and organic agriculture utilize manure as part of regular farm soil fertilization programs. Certified organic farmers, however, must have a farm plan detailing the methods used to build soil fertility including the application of manure or composted manure. Certified organic farmers are prohibited from using raw manure for at least 90 days before harvest of crops grown for human consumption."
Manure Facts - Organic Trade Association

The massive livestock factory farms are where most of the s**t comes from, acc to what I've read. Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.

Here's an image of Ohio's CAFOs locations.
Ohio dirty drinking water linked to livestock factory farms

[SIZE=2]

These cattle produce huge amounts of manure. Some of it gets dumped directly in waterways & some is used on fields and then gets washed into waterways.

So we grow a huge % of corn to feed cattle, pigs, chicken, and fertilize the corn with their manure. And its not only making us sick, but the cattle themselves. The irony!

Blue Green Algae Poisoning in Cattle

https://www.msu.edu/~mdr/vol15no2/algae.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 AM

I had never heard of this particular chemical found in central Ohio drinking water. Methane is natural gas. Trihalomethane is a solvent or refrigerant.~

"(Delaware, Ohio)Residents received a message with their most recent water bills that indicated elevated levels of trihalomethane (TTHM) had been found in the supply.

“It was initially very alarming,” said Sean Cochran, of Delaware. “It's scary to know that that chemical is in there.”

The note indicated the increased TTHM levels did not pose an immediate health risk, nor should they prompt residents to use an alternative water supply. It did state, however, that some people who drink an excessive amount of TTHM, may experience liver, kidney or central nervous system problems, and they may have an increased risk of cancer.

City leaders say the alert was issued, in compliance with Ohio EPA regulations, and the water does not pose a serious threat.

“The City of Delaware water is safe to drink,” said Lee Yoakum, Community Affairs Coordinator for the city. “There is no need to take any alternative measures for drinking water.”"

City Leaders Report Delaware Water Is Safe To Drink - NBC4: Columbus, Ohio News, Weather, and Sports (WCMH-TV)

Sure, I'd take the advice of a community affairs coordinator. Um-hm, yep.

I would hope they're trying to find its source.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,261,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverLover11 View Post
I had never heard of this particular chemical found in central Ohio drinking water. Methane is natural gas. Trihalomethane is a solvent or refrigerant.~

"(Delaware, Ohio)Residents received a message with their most recent water bills that indicated elevated levels of trihalomethane (TTHM) had been found in the supply.

“It was initially very alarming,” said Sean Cochran, of Delaware. “It's scary to know that that chemical is in there.”

The note indicated the increased TTHM levels did not pose an immediate health risk, nor should they prompt residents to use an alternative water supply. It did state, however, that some people who drink an excessive amount of TTHM, may experience liver, kidney or central nervous system problems, and they may have an increased risk of cancer.

City leaders say the alert was issued, in compliance with Ohio EPA regulations, and the water does not pose a serious threat.

“The City of Delaware water is safe to drink,” said Lee Yoakum, Community Affairs Coordinator for the city. “There is no need to take any alternative measures for drinking water.”"

City Leaders Report Delaware Water Is Safe To Drink - NBC4: Columbus, Ohio News, Weather, and Sports (WCMH-TV)

Sure, I'd take the advice of a community affairs coordinator. Um-hm, yep.

I would hope they're trying to find its source.

What's a person to do? Bottled water is obviously clear from any polluting chemicals but the plastic bottles themselves cause major problems since they have poisons in them and take forever to biodegrade in landfills....but if you drink the city tapwater, it's treated w/ all kinds of chemicals and even still it seems more harmful chemicals are getting into it thanks to low environmental standards.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,908,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
What's a person to do? Bottled water is obviously clear ... they ... take forever to biodegrade in landfills.
Why would that be a factor in your decision to use bottled water?

Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
What's a person to do?
When it rains, go outside with buckets! :-) I have a friend with rain barrels around her house. She said its great for washing her hair, so soft no need for conditioners....The water sit is a dilemma for sure. Bottled water bottles can be recycled though, the landfill isn't the only option. I recycle everything possible.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,908,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverLover11 View Post
Bottled water bottles can be recycled though, the landfill isn't the only option.
It shouldn't be an option at all. I liked the old deposit system on bottles. Glass or plastic should make no difference.

Ever notice how there are almost no Al cans in the streets? That's because they aren't garbage, they are scrap and worth money. They are only worth about 1 cent.

Now, think about a plastic bottle being worth a dime ... ( same for plastic bags, IMO ).

Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,261,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
It shouldn't be an option at all. I liked the old deposit system on bottles. Glass or plastic should make no difference.

Ever notice how there are almost no Al cans in the streets? That's because they aren't garbage, they are scrap and worth money. They are only worth about 1 cent.

Now, think about a plastic bottle being worth a dime ... ( same for plastic bags, IMO ).
Paying people to recycle even just a little bit seems worth it to me...whatever happened to that I wonder?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM

Well this isn't good.

Delaware County, OH has one frack waste deep injection well for certain, maybe more now. And one landfill approved for that unregulated frack waste disposal directly into the soil. (How is that legal??)

What's shocking here is that that salts used in fracking, the brine, also known as bromides, convert into TTHM when in contact with CHLORIDE. The stuff we use to "clean" our drinking water. TTHM is what caused the warning to Delaware OH residents about their drinking water.

"Bromides, a salt found in brine from oil and gas drilling, create a carcinogen called trihalomethanes(TTHM) when they are chlorinated in drinking water. It is because of high levels of bromides in source rivers, such as the Ohio and Monongahela, that dozens of drinking water treatment plants in West Virginia and Pennsylvania have violated EPA standards for trihalomethanes since 2008– the year gas drillers began flocking to the area to tap the Marcellus Shale."

Bromide Levels in Rivers Remain High, Despite Changes in Brine Disposal

So it begins.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,689,614 times
Much of the bottled water is shipped from California so that may not be available in the future if it doesn't rain!

Hey, at least there haven't been any burning rivers lately...

Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,112,635 times
Quote:
Paying people to recycle even just a little bit seems worth it to me...whatever happened to that I wonder?
I don't know, I always thought it should be more of a civic duty.

Franklin County will be a zero net waste county here in the near future with the construction of the massive recycling and green initiative complex near Grove City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio