Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,998,129 times

Advertisements

Drinking water safe after 5K-gallon spill into Ohio River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 AM

220 posts, read 331,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This. Oh jeez, this is why we CANNOT have millions of gallons of radioactive fracking waste travel by barge past six states on the Ohio River. To be dumped on Ohio soil.

Why is it the govt approves this and the citizens have to fight it?

The US Army Corp of Engineers have already OK'd the transport on the river(terrorists), but public comments re: the Barge facility to accept the waste in S Oh is still open for 4 more days.

Athens County Fracking Action Network

Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM

24,163 posts, read 32,692,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverLover11 View Post
Another shining accolade for our fine state...

Ohio Waterways Ranked 10th in the Nation for Toxic Chemicals / Public News Service

"The "Wasting Our Waterways" report found over seven million pounds of toxic chemicals were dumped into the state's waterways in 2012, making Ohio the 10th worst in the country."

(SEVEN MILLION pounds of TOXIC crap! In just one year....are they trying to kill us?? I guess it could be worse though, 9 others states topped that somehow.)

But wait, there's more!

We can also boast we have the 4th most polluted river in the US.

"Ragan Davis, a field associate with Environment Ohio, says analyzing additional numbers from around the country reveals Ohio also has one of the nation's top five polluted rivers.

"Polluters dumped approximately 4.4 million pounds of toxic chemicals into the Muskingum River watershed," says Davis, "making this particular watershed the fourth most polluted in the nation."

(and thirdly...wait for it....)

"Davis adds industrial facilities in the Middle Ohio River and Laughery Creek region discharged 21,000 pounds of chemicals linked to cancer in that watershed, making it the 11th highest amount nationally."

(How ironic that I love rivers and then I move to a state which clearly doesn't. I had no idea. Sniff.)

Truly disturbing.

More disturbing - most people are apathetic.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 AM

Got Science? Ohio Wake-up Call on Fracking Disclosure Laws

Drinking Water Threatened
"...If the severe damage to a local creek weren't troubling enough, this particular waterway feeds into the Ohio River roughly five miles away where, just another 1.7 miles downstream, a public water intake on the West Virginia side of the river serves local residents.

But here's the most disgraceful thing of all about the accident: despite the fish kill (70,000+) and potential contamination of drinking water, the public still doesn't know the full list of chemicals that polluted the air and water supply."

Got Science? Ohio Wake-up Call on Fracking Disclosure Laws*|*Seth Shulman

Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,148,550 times
Effort to clean Alum Creek area needs helpers on Aug. 30 | ThisWeek Community News

Volunteer!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM

I thought suggesting action was against forum rules here on C-D.

But I love it! Thanks for the link jb!!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Seven Ohio Drinking Water Sources Don’t Meet State Water Quality Standards for Toxic Algae

Seven Ohio Drinking Water Sources Don’t Meet State Water Quality Standards for Toxic Algae | Circle of Blue WaterNews

Old 08-27-2014, 01:39 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,911,040 times
I would love to move to Ohio. BUT YOU GUYS ARE MAKING IT FREAKIN' IMPOSSIBLE.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,148,550 times
There should probably be just one environmental thread. I didn't know where else this should go.

Columbus Residents Breaking Recycling Records | ColumbusUnderground.com

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I would love to move to Ohio. BUT YOU GUYS ARE MAKING IT FREAKIN' IMPOSSIBLE.
No don't say that! We need you here to help us fix this wild west, no regulations for Big Business, no regard for healthy clean water. Come join the good fight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio