Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,344,913 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Ohio for almost three years and have really enjoyed getting to see many parts of the state. Though I have many more places to explore, my favorites thus far include:
Wooster, Marietta, Gallipolis, Kent, Hudson, Medina, bowling Green, Athens, Findlay, Granville

The above cities generally have a nice mix of interesting architecture, restaurants, at least a few shops, nice old theater with a marquee, and a walkable atmosphere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,862,830 times
Springboro, Garrettsville, Marrietta, Marblehead and Put-in-Bay, baby!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM

896 posts, read 1,855,380 times
Sandusky is my favorite small city in Ohio. Its close proximity (1 hour) to both Cleveland and Toledo, and has all of the major popular businesses one might need. While it is definitely a rust belt city and suffering in ways with some blight and crime, theres lots of progress happening, especially downtown on the water. Theres been an increasing amount of nicer apartments and condos being built downtown in recent years as well as many new, classier, restaurants and bars giving the downtown area a slightly more cosmopolitan feel, as far as a small waterfront city goes. And the downtown area is nicely oriented to the waterfront with mulitple waterfront parks and piers for public access, and ferry access to the islands.

I choose Sandusky too because its a stand alone city, population in the upper 20,000s, so its not a small town, or mid size city (Dayton,Toledo,Akron, etc) and its not a suburb of the big cities, allowing it to be a refuge for the higher income people. Sandusky is diverse, racially, politically, socially, and income wise and feels like anyone fits in there. Being a tourist city too, the city will never collapse despite the economy. Its a fun place, with lots of nice amenities and destinations, and in my opinion is only getting better.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,628,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Springboro, Garrettsville, Marrietta, Marblehead and Put-in-Bay, baby!
And Port Clinton.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
Lorain pop. 65,000.On the south shore of Lake Erie,30 miles west of Cleveland.

I have lived here since '68 when my late husband and I came here after his 4 years in the AF.We met and married at Minot,AFB ND,while both he and my dad were stationed there.

We have an AWESOME Public Library System that I have loved since our first year here.

Many nationalities live here,so I totally love all the varied ethnic foods available,especially European.[Polish,Hungarian,Slovak]

Also love visiting the world's largest Amish Community nearby. Lancaster,PA has nothing on us!

Never thought I would ever see the day that I would come to appreciate the climate here in Ohio,but the more I research other states with wildfires,prolonged-droughts/water restrictions,scorched-earth landscapes,INSANE COL[California],or 8-9 months of gray skies with mudslides,ice storms[OREGON],or similar to Oregon but with the added threat of an IMMMINENT[within 50 years] 9.0 earthquake in Seattle,the more I am thinking that our little micro-climate here in Lorain,on the south shore of Lake Erie,out of the snowbelt area,is much more free of such drawbacks,than I appreciated!

In over 45 years I have only experienced black ice-twice.

When Cleveland east of us gets 9-12" of snow,we only get 2-3".Most winters... temps are tolerable except about every 5 years we have a frigid winter.

COL is very reasonable,and it is 'safe' and affordable to buy one of the many beautiful brick or stone homes here,which are pretty nonexistent in earthquake country,and it is green here,with gorgeous fall colors,and very colorful springs with all the flowering trees/shrubs.

World Famous Cedar Point Amusement Park is nearby.

However most summers ARE really icky,hot and sticky/humid,so summers here do SUCK!

Spring is too wet/muddy,though colorful and pretty,that's why fall is the best season of all!

PATHETICALLY-Cleveland has the 3 worst sports teams in the country-no championships!

I was earnestly searching for a state to escape the Ohio summers and winters,but beginning to think I would dislike the drawbacks elsewhere,even more,and appreciating what is good here.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 09-12-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Sandusky is my favorite small city in Ohio. Its close proximity (1 hour) to both Cleveland and Toledo, and has all of the major popular businesses one might need. While it is definitely a rust belt city and suffering in ways with some blight and crime, theres lots of progress happening, especially downtown on the water. Theres been an increasing amount of nicer apartments and condos being built downtown in recent years as well as many new, classier, restaurants and bars giving the downtown area a slightly more cosmopolitan feel, as far as a small waterfront city goes. And the downtown area is nicely oriented to the waterfront with mulitple waterfront parks and piers for public access, and ferry access to the islands.

I choose Sandusky too because its a stand alone city, population in the upper 20,000s, so its not a small town, or mid size city (Dayton,Toledo,Akron, etc) and its not a suburb of the big cities, allowing it to be a refuge for the higher income people. Sandusky is diverse, racially, politically, socially, and income wise and feels like anyone fits in there. Being a tourist city too, the city will never collapse despite the economy. Its a fun place, with lots of nice amenities and destinations, and in my opinion is only getting better.
Having the world's best amusement park-Cedar Point is also a major PLUS!

Cedar Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.cedarpoint.com/?vm=r

Old 10-06-2014, 11:07 AM

161 posts, read 238,012 times
Millville, Ohio....really small but nice community...my brother lives there.

Riley, Ohio...haven't been there in ages but growing up in the area it was small but nice...still went to the Post Office and got your mail in person.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,237,734 times
Port Clinton, IF someone would close the nuclear plant. Beautiful downtown and beach area, BUT that cooling tower looks like something from The Simpsons.
Athens and Oxford are also nice. Pretty towns with or without the colleges. In the fall both are gorgeous.
Also a fan of Geneva and Vermillion. Just nice Norman Rockwell-type towns, on the Lake.
Favorite tiny town? Peninsula in Summit County. No contest.
All this talk, in October with fall leaves, is making me wanna move back to Ohio from New Mexico. Bigtime.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,628,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Port Clinton, IF someone would close the nuclear plant. Beautiful downtown and beach area, BUT that cooling tower looks like something from The Simpsons.
The Davis-Besse nuclear power station is not in Port Clinton.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,166,132 times
^You can easily see it from Port Clinton though. And Put-In-Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: