Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:52 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You should get up to date with current events. There is no snow on the ground in Detroit right now.
How is that relevant to the claim that was made:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
we'd have the first snowfall in early November, and from late November though late March, snow-cover was more or less permanent.
o-p said that when they were in college in Detroit, snow was around from Nov to almost April.

How does the current warm weather refute that?

Sometimes winters are mild in the Midwest, usually not.

That's two posts in a row where you read a couple of words and then responded with a drive-by without actually getting an understanding of the post you were responding to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:06 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I was told that MS was the most obese, poorest, least educated state in the US.

I left MS:

- In the best shape I have ever been
- More educated
- With a lump sum of savings because the cost of living there was so cheap

When life tries to throw you a curve ball just step up to the plate and knock it out of the park instead of waiting for a designated hitter. You'll be glad you did.
Personally I have found that once I did everything there was to do in my area (currently) and having been used to larger cities (so things here really couldn't compare) I got a whole lot more done.

Financially I'm in better shape for my future, but as far as my present it is a downgrade in quality of life.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:41 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
I left right out of college for a job. I applied to several places in Ohio but I got my best offer in Texas so I moved down here. I absolutely love Texas, more than I would of thought. Great decision. The only problem is I have no family down here. So eventually I may have to go back to Ohio but I'm not in a hurry.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveinthesun View Post
Im in northeast ohio near cleveland and I do not like it. I have visited other cities in ohio and there just ok. The weather here is 4 seasons bit winter lasts the longest 6 months. I love the summer and fall here but those seasons dont last long. The winters here are extremely cold and this winter is gonna be even colder. Im looking to move to Texas in the next year or two unless I find somewhere better.
Texas is great! I don't know about Dallas or Houston, but Austin and San Antonio are very nice places to live.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:45 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
If NE PA is too cold for you, NE Ohio and even NW Ohio will not be any different at all...NE OH will get a lot of snow, much more than NE PA...NW Ohio won't get as much but still will be just as cold.
So if you are wanting 4 seasons but a bit milder than NE PA, you probably want to look at Southern Ohio...so if you limit it to that, and want to be in or at least closer to the bigger city, then you'll want to look at the Cincinnati area mostly. You'll still get cold in winter...and it still snows (about 24" per year), but it is quite a bit milder on average...it's about 4-5 degrees warmer on avg than Columbus, and about 7-8 degrees warmer than Cleveland...summer is more humid but it's not bad...instead of low to mid 80s in Central Ohio or Upper 70s to low 80s in NE Ohio...you'll typically have mid to upper 80s or low 90s...but it's not as bad as the Carolinas...and imo, places like Philadelphia, DC, Baltimore...all get worse in summer time.
Untrue. NEPA and NE OH are about the same. More sunshine in NE OH, than in dismal NEPA.

Not all of NE OH is in the snow belt. We are not. It's dramatic when you pass the snow belt, while driving. Suddenly, everything is white.

We have had about 3 days of snow this year, and no permanent "snowpack".

Autumn is really beautiful here. Not so much in NEPA. It's a distinct season here. And, worthy of a trip for leaf peepers.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Untrue. NEPA and NE OH are about the same. More sunshine in NE OH, than in dismal NEPA.

Not all of NE OH is in the snow belt. We are not. It's dramatic when you pass the snow belt, while driving. Suddenly, everything is white.

We have had about 3 days of snow this year, and no permanent "snowpack".

Autumn is really beautiful here. Not so much in NEPA. It's a distinct season here. And, worthy of a trip for leaf peepers.
Dismal; really?

Don't tell that to all the Philadelphians, NY'ers, and NJ'ians who flock to NEPA all four seasons for outdoor activities, lakes, trails, foliage, and skiing.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I left right out of college for a job. I applied to several places in Ohio but I got my best offer in Texas so I moved down here. I absolutely love Texas, more than I would of thought. Great decision. The only problem is I have no family down here. So eventually I may have to go back to Ohio but I'm not in a hurry.
Texas is such a stain. It has far more in common with the crappy mid-South Alabama-Mississippi belt than it does with truly great states. I don't even like going through Texas at the airport. It may be the only state I dislike more than Florida.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I don't care for Texas either but it's pretty silly to dismiss the second-largest state in one fell swoop. The cities have quite a bit to offer, especially Houston which is one of the most diverse/international cities in the US.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Texas is such a stain. It has far more in common with the crappy mid-South Alabama-Mississippi belt than it does with truly great states. I don't even like going through Texas at the airport. It may be the only state I dislike more than Florida.
Texas is not the south. Yes, it does get a little southern in eastern Texas as you head towards the Louisiana boarder but for the most part Texas is just Texas. I saw way more rebel flags in Dayton Ohio than I have in Texas. Dayton and Cincinnati are culturally closer to South Alabama-Mississippi than Austin and San Antonio

I stayed in Florida for work this past summer and absolutely hated it. Texas is paradise compared to Florida.

What defines a truly great state? I would love to live in a place like N California or Boston but I'd have a tough time affording those areas.

Last edited by Jame22; 02-10-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I left Cleveland Ohio area after living there for 28 years because of a job opportunity in south MS.

I was told that MS was the most obese, poorest, least educated state in the US.
I then took a job in Columbus OH 4 years later to be close to family and friends that lived in CLE, while still being able to experince a new city. I left MS:

- In the best shape I have ever been
- More educated
- With a lump sum of savings because the cost of living there was so cheap

Stayed in Cbus for a year, and decided that I wanted to enjoy even less snow and be 10 degrees warmer on ave than CLE, but still wanted to live in Ohio so I moved to Mason, a suburb of Cincy.

When life tries to throw you a curve ball just step up to the plate and knock it out of the park instead of waiting for a designated hitter. You'll be glad you did.
This is great! If you're an interesting, motivated, well rounded person you can make almost anywhere work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio