Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
... Houston and Atlanta but don't want to deal with the summers again. The humidity is a killer. Yes, I know the Midwest gets humid but it is no where near what the South gets.
My take is that the summer heat and humidity is about the same in Ohio vs. Houston or Atlanta when it's hot and humid. It is just that "summer" starts in Houston sometime in April and does not end till late October or even November.

In Dayton, I don't ever remember any terribly uncomfortable days in May and almost all of September days have been comfortable in the time I grew up there.

In Ohio, sometime in August, a cold front is going to come through - giving way to low humidity and high temps in the low 80's. It might not stay that way for more than a few days, but you have some relief. Cold fronts almost never make it South to Atlanta till Sep and then again, they don't last. Houston? Mid Oct at best.

However, one of the most miserable hot and humid days that I ever experienced in the "summer" of Dayton, Houston, or Atlanta, was in Dayton in mid-September. It was the day I resigned so that I could move to Albuquerque. Weather-wise, I never regretted it.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 10-14-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:41 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
The little sun, humid/slimy summers,sometimes frigid winters,and not able to enjoy year round outdoor time, is why Tucson,AZ is calling me! Lived there as a teen when my AF dad was stationed there,and loved it.

DETEST humidity, so it's out west only for me!

Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 AM

279 posts, read 356,513 times
Quote:
I like water. I couldn't live in those places because they are too dry.
Other than Erie, there are only 110 natural lakes...the biggest being 340+ acres. Everything else is man made... I think Minnesota is calling your name!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I like water. I couldn't live in those places because they are too dry.

Then guess you have to live with little sun.At least the COL is better in Ohio.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Minnesota is a beautiful state. I have been there. The downside to states like Minnesota is that there isn't much to do. If I moved to that region, then it would be to a city like Madison or Chicago. The Madison area is under consideration.

Ohio offers 3 distinct cities, Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. There is also Mansfield, Akron, Canton, Warren, and Youngstown.

It is a big bonus to have so much within a 2-4 hr driving distance.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Have so much WHAT???

Sandusky,Ohio has the world's best amusement park-Cedar Point[only open part of the year],and Lake Erie has fabulous fish-Perch,White Bass,and Walleye,but besides these and eating/drinking what else is there to do? Plus have to contend with crappy weather and often dangerous driving conditions to get to them.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 AM

I'm past the amusement park stage but I do love Lake Erie. There are also great little lakes in the NE Corner of Ohio and I have seen some on the map in SE Ohio.

I am looking forward to hiking in places like Hocking Hills, visiting the many museums, seeing the architecture, including homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, experiencing the music scene, visiting the small mom & pop businesses (mostly chains here in Pittsburgh), the FOOD!!! (The quality and availability sucks here.), Athens, Haunted Ohio, cheering for the Browns (seems like fun?), and the strong art scene. The more I research and visit Ohio, the more I feel I am missing out on A LOT. I have lived in large cities in the past. Even a couple of those cities had huge metros but there wasn't much to do. Ohio presents itself as though there are more opportunities. Sort of an East Coast in the Midwest. Short distances to cover.

Yes, the weather isn't the best but from what I can tell, the snowfall depends on location in Ohio. I love the cold. I don't mind the cold as long as I get more sun than Pittsburgh.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 AM

One other thought, when I lived in the South there were SO MANY transplants from Ohio. The joke was that Charleston was a suburb. I remember ex-residents saying how horrible and dirty Ohio was. A real cesspool. Years later when I finally get to visit and research your state...I don't get it. I am wondering if a lot of the hate is from the Grass is Greener sickness. Yes, there are slums in the inner city but every state has that. In general, a lot of residents seem to take Ohio for granted.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'm past the amusement park stage but I do love Lake Erie. There are also great little lakes in the NE Corner of Ohio and I have seen some on the map in SE Ohio.

I am looking forward to hiking in places like Hocking Hills, visiting the many museums, seeing the architecture, including homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, experiencing the music scene, visiting the small mom & pop businesses (mostly chains here in Pittsburgh), the FOOD!!! (The quality and availability sucks here.), Athens, Haunted Ohio, cheering for the Browns (seems like fun?), and the strong art scene. The more I research and visit Ohio, the more I feel I am missing out on A LOT. I have lived in large cities in the past. Even a couple of those cities had huge metros but there wasn't much to do. Ohio presents itself as though there are more opportunities. Sort of an East Coast in the Midwest. Short distances to cover.

Yes, the weather isn't the best but from what I can tell, the snowfall depends on location in Ohio. I love the cold. I don't mind the cold as long as I get more sun than Pittsburgh.
WOW, you would probably love the little micro-climate of my city of Lorain then,if I don't make it to Tucson,I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in this state.Protected by being on the south shore of Lake Erie,when Cleveland gets 6-12" of snow,we average 1-1 1/2",and very rarely get ice.The only time we get heavy snows is from a northeaster,never from the west or Michigan.

We have over 70 nationalities here,so the available ethnic foods are incredible! I love Chicken Paprikas,Pirogis,all the sausages,Hungarian,Polish,Greek,Italian,you name it.
Lorain,also has a fabulous library part of the 43 library Clevenet system!
But there is so much street construction going on this year that it looks like crap.

Lorain, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.city-data.com/city/Lorain-Ohio.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Erie_Islands

Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 PM

24 posts, read 28,304 times
Every year I spent every spring and fall visiting Southern Ohio, the trails, the culture, the Muskingum river, and the WARMER weather. Zanesville is a city with jobs. The homes are
reasonable priced as are the apartments. It is surrounded by smaller towns which makes for
a big city atmosphere. It is an hour or so from Columbus. I have lived in Trumbull County for
30 years now, with a goal to retire near Zanesville. You must visit this town if you are going
so near Hocking Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio