Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,178,099 times

Advertisements

Interesting new public policy story:

New push for raising smoking age | www.mydaytondailynews.com

I apologize for this article being behind the paywall, but the DDN was the first news outlet to pick the story up.

The effort is led by Dr. Doug Crane, OSU professor of family medicine and President of the Preventing Tobacco Addiction foundation. He is going city to city within the state to encourage local governments to ban tobacco sales to those under the age of 18.

Through doing this, he and his organization believe that tobacco use among teenagers would drop significantly. His research was quoted and paraphrased by the DDN, stating:
Quote:
“Nearly all adult smokers began smoking by the age of 18 — almost no one starts smoking after 21,” according to a study Crane and OSU College of Public Health released earlier this month.

....I have a lot of issues with the that quote, and mixed feelings about the proposal/strategy.

Being a current college student, I know tons of students who started using tobacco after the age of 18 once in college that had never used tobacco prior. Whether it be cigar smoking, hookah, marijuana, e-cigarettes, or even traditional cigarettes, I can't think of a single one of my friends who has not at least tried one of these items. To top that off, most everyone I know had never touched a tobacco product under the age of 18.

Now, these individuals have a relationship with tobacco similar to Frank and Claire Underwood's relationship with tobacco in House of Cards. They don't use tobacco frequently, but they keep it within arm's reach. And for my friends and acquaintances, these habits started in conjunction with the growing pains, socializing, and partying of entering young adulthood. I assume few could observe these trends better than Dr. Crane himself. Which leads to my own confusion of taking this approach to target smoking prevention.

I greatly appreciate his mission, but I believe it's targeted wrong. The current law works, the issue is education among college students. At my college a conservative estimate would be that 50% use tobacco products once a month or more.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SWOH; 03-15-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,983,942 times
I think it should work as good as the drinking age being 21. If you drunk, you already have a fake ID, you can still get cigarettes.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,382,058 times
It is already illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone "under" the legal age of 18 so what is his point?

What it does not show in your statistics is that those of us who are past the age of 54 probably started smoking when we were 12 or 13 and could easily buy them because we could go to the gasoline station and get cigarettes for "Mom & Dad".

Old 03-15-2015, 11:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,434,878 times
If kids are smoking by the age of 18, the minimum legal age, how would raising it to 21 help?

The logic of his statement acknowledges that the legal age is an arbitrary number, so what is the point of raising the legal age except to increase the number of offenders that can be cited?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,178,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If kids are smoking by the age of 18, the minimum legal age, how would raising it to 21 help?

The logic of his statement acknowledges that the legal age is an arbitrary number, so what is the point of raising the legal age except to increase the number of offenders that can be cited?
Exactly!

I'll have to do some digging on his organization... I don't understand the logic.

If prevention is the issue, he is targeting it the wrong way. At least to me, something smells.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,980,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

What it does not show in your statistics is that those of us who are past the age of 54 probably started smoking when we were 12 or 13 and could easily buy them because we could go to the gasoline station and get cigarettes for "Mom & Dad".
I'm 51, started smoking when I was 12, never had a problem buying cigarettes and I never said that they were for my mom or dad. There were also cigarette vending machines in every restaurant and ashtrays at every table. We were also allowed to smoke at our high school in designated areas behind the building.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,382,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I'm 51, started smoking when I was 12, never had a problem buying cigarettes and I never said that they were for my mom or dad. There were also cigarette vending machines in every restaurant and ashtrays at every table. We were also allowed to smoke at our high school in designated areas behind the building.

54 and same here, I used the buying for mom and dad as an example, nothing more and I lit my first cigarette in the 5th grade so I was about 9.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,146,766 times
Legalize weed, ban tobacco.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,980,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Legalize weed, ban tobacco.
You are half right, but that would just make the drug cartel switch crops.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:03 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,621,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it should work as good as the drinking age being 21. If you drunk, you already have a fake ID, you can still get cigarettes.

Exactly. How about lowering both ages. Like other countries. And legalizing marijuana.

21 is a ridiculous age for drinking. After college you can have your first beer? That's so realistic.

People are going to drink and smoke if and when they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio