Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Smoking or No Smoking in your home and others'
Smoking isn't allowed in my house, but I do go to others' homes where people smoke 43 50.59%
Smoking isn't allowed in my house, and I won't to go a house where people will be smoking 23 27.06%
I don't mind if people smoke in my house or anywhere else I might be 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM

105 posts, read 496,195 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what other people's tolerance of cigarette smoke is, both in their own home and at others' homes.

We don't allow smoking in our house, and don't go to anyone's home where we know people will be smoking. I have very severe allergies to cigarette smoke (and to dogs and cats as well), and DH although not allergic cannot stand the smell of tobacco smoke either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
No one is allowed to smoke in our house or our cars. We'll go to others' houses that smoke, but we certainly don't prefer it. Of course, we don't have allergies, so it's not so serious to us.

Even when I did smoke, I never smoked in the house. I always felt it really destroyed furniture and the house itself. A lot of my friends always sat and smoked in a room while watching TV. I never understood how they could sit there in a smoke-filled room.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I smoke but I won't smoke in my house or my car for that matter. Whenever I smoke, I always go outside unless I'm at a friend's house who allows smoking inside..

Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
I prohibit smoking, first off because I have a mild form of asthma and the second-hand smoke will kill me a lot faster than other people, and second because i just don't like being around people when they are smoking. It stinks up my living space. IMO smoking needs to be banned across the United States. I have no sympathy towards people who are addicted to smoking...you did it to yourselves, and you'll be better off going through a few weeks worth of torture without a cigarette than you will getting lung cancer and emphysema and dying, which is a lot more torturous than a few weeks without a cigarette. It really baffles me why so many people smoke. It's disgusting, unhealthy, there is nothing attractive about it, it stinks you up, and ultimately kills you. Maybe we should start habitually drinking bleach while we're at it I generally put up with smoking when my friends are doing it simply because I have to, but it's only because they are my friends. Anybody else, if I asked them not to smoke around me, and they refused...I'm gone. I refuse to date anyone who smokes. If there is anything that turns me off, it's my date smoking a cigarette. Date's over if I see that, or at least there won't be another date.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
My wife doesn't smoke, my mother-in-law smokes cigarettes and I have an occasional cigar. I never ever smoke in the house, always outside or in the garage in winter. My mother-in-law will try to smoke a cig now and then in her bedroom. She always gets busted... Bummer man!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:18 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
I am on the quitting side of smoking. The only real problem I have are when I go out to the bars with friends. Most of them do smoke and I give in. Stupid will power!

There's no smoking in my house, but I will visit people that do from time to time. It's their choice and I guess if it becomes a problem, I can always leave. There are still plenty of activities that can kill you and the people you associate with if you're not careful. Promiscuous sex and binge drinking come to mind. On a similar note, I heard on NPR Arizona back in early July that there are now restrictions on Californian tanning salons (for teenagers) due to the risk of melanoma. Since the People seem eager to ban "bad" activities, I've seriously mused the idea of gathering research on the effects of SUV emissions on the human respitory system for satirical purposes.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Though I'm not a smoker, I think it's a man's right to smoke in his house if he chooses to do so. I mean, he paid for that house, he should be able to smoke in it right? If I'm in someone's house who smokes I generally try to leave the room for the duration but most smokers I know don't smoke in their houses anyway

Old 09-18-2007, 08:03 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times
We dont allow it in ours and we would rather not be in the same room as someone smoking in their own house. We have a 2 year old daughter and would rather not expose her to that smoke. I grew up with my mom's boyfriend smoking in the car in the winter with the windows rolled up so I know what its like to get all that second hand smoke, NOT FUN....

Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
We dont allow it in ours and we would rather not be in the same room as someone smoking in their own house. We have a 2 year old daughter and would rather not expose her to that smoke. I grew up with my mom's boyfriend smoking in the car in the winter with the windows rolled up so I know what its like to get all that second hand smoke, NOT FUN....
See that's just inconsiderate. Smoking in the car with the windows rolled up when a child is in the car? It always makes me wonder what people are thinking sometimes

Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
i honestly don't know anyone who allows smoking in their home. even if i did, i'd still go to their house. cig smoke does bother me, and if it did during my stay, I'd step outside.

i grew up in a 5 pack a day house. drove around in the car with my parents, windows rolled up, cig smoke clinging to the windows. we actually fashioned a trip down to NC for the sole purpose of buying cheap cigs! i was surrounded by the cancer sticks the whole way home in the back seat...
and ALWAYS sat in the smoking section on the plane LOL

i abhor smoking, can't understand why someone would, but i'm not rabid enough where I won't go to someone's house who smokes, even though the cigs killed my mom, hastened the death of my dad, and I just found out yesterday an uncle of mine has lung cancer

how can anyone afford to smoke anyway? they are like nearly $6/pack here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics