Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times

Advertisements

I live about 40 min north of dayton. Looking for some ideas this summer for day or weekend trips in or around ohio. I have done about everything in dayton and go to columbus often. In mid 20s, likes outdoor adventure, museums, shopping and good food. Need to get out and explore more. Couple things on my list now is..

Hocking Hills
Sand dunes (indiana or MI)
Cedar Point
Maybe Indianapolis

.. any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Read through the Ohio forum at tripadvisor.com.

Ohio Forum, Travel Discussion for Ohio, United States

There's a pop-up menu there for individual cities. E.g., go to the Cincinnati forum, then click on Cincinnati in the upper left heading, then click on "Things to Do."

Check out websites such as:

http://consumer.discoverohio.com/#

Neil Zurcher's One Tank Trips | Neil Zurcher's blog about his travels around the state of Ohio.

I'm curious, have you checked out Yellow Springs and relatively local National Natural Landmarks, such as the Glen Helen Natural Area and Clifton Gorge?

List of National Natural Landmarks in Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top things perhaps to add to your bucket list might include:

1) Ohio State Fair

2) Adena Mansion & Gardens in Chillicothe and the Tecumseh Outdoor Drama

3) The Wilds

4) Malabar Farm State Park and Mohican State Park

5) Lake Erie islands, such as Put-in-Bay and Kelleys Island

6) Ohio Amish Country

7) Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Blossom Music Center

8) National Truck & Auto Museum in Auburn, IN

9) The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI

10) Columbus, Indiana, "the Athens of the Prairie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8foQ_BC4sU

Just tried to give you ten ideas, omitting major cities.

Omitted Kentucky possibilities such as Louisville, "Bourbon Trail," Lexington horse attractions, and Mammoth Cave.

Also certainly check out state parks both in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky.

For white water rafting, check out the New River Gorge in WV. It's also great for rock climbing, base jumping, hiking, etc.

Perhaps research OH and IN caverns, such as Ohio Caverns and Seneca Caverns.

Put-in-Bay offers many water sports such as kayaking, parasailing, WaveRunners, jet skis, etc.

Let us know what you do and what you discover that's not generally well known.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:08 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
If you have never been to Hocking Hills that should be #1 on your list, you will need a whole weekend to see everything. The best time to go is after a lot of rain that way there will be a lot of flow in the falls.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks WR, ill take a look through it all. I have been to yellow springs, normally to youngs dairy which we love! Havent been to clifton gorge for long time so could add that to the list for sure!

Nope, never been to hocking hills but from what i have heard and pics seen like what you posted it looks beautiful! We will do a weekend trip there.. maybe in May.

I will also add ohio state fair, never been to it! I love fairs and festivals, go to all of them thats within 2 hours of me.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Thanks WR, ill take a look through it all. I have been to yellow springs, normally to youngs dairy which we love! Havent been to clifton gorge for long time so could add that to the list for sure!

Nope, never been to hocking hills but from what i have heard and pics seen like what you posted it looks beautiful! We will do a weekend trip there.. maybe in May.

I will also add ohio state fair, never been to it! I love fairs and festivals, go to all of them thats within 2 hours of me.
The Ohio State Fair is amazing. Check the event schedule as it varies from day to day as does the featured entertainment.

This event almost is as large as the Ohio State Fair.

http://www.oqha.com/aaqhc

Here's are some other different events:

Circleville Pumpkin Show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red, White & BOOM! | Columbus, OH

http://www.clevelandairshow.com/

Columbus Oktoberfest ? September 25-27, 2015

Welcome to the Great Mohican Pow-Wow

Home

Here's a blog dedicated to Ohio festivals.

Ohio Festival Schedule Page | OhioFestivals.net

Of course, any Ohio State football game day is an experience, even if you don't have tickets. Check out the tailgating parties and the free Skull Sessions!

http://www.columbusonthecheap.com/20...at-ohio-state/

The Tall Ships will visit Toledo in 2016.

http://www.sailtraining.org/tallship...C2016index.php

Last edited by WRnative; 04-04-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
WRNative and Woxyrome have excellent suggestions. In particular those lists above are excellent.

I personally have visited most every attraction in the nearby area of where you are located, since we are not far from each other. I won't post anything specific without a better idea of what you like to do, who you could round up to go with you, etc. but if you want feel free to send me a PM and I could go into some more detail about my particular knowledge base and what I like/don't like within a few hour radius as a male in my early-mid 20's and why.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,210 times
Red River Gorge in KY is fun hiking. We're looking forward to our first trip to Louisville Slugger Museum and Kentucky Horse Park this summer.

Put-in-Bay in the summer is incredible----has a Key West feel. Come to the Nati for Opening Day, Oktoberfest, Labor Day fireworks.

Last edited by flashes1; 04-06-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Red River Gorge in KY is fun hiking. We're looking forward to our first trip to Louisville Slugger Museum and Kentucky Horse Park this summer.

Put-in-Bay in the summer is incredible----has a Key West feel. Come to the Nati for Opening Day, Oktoberfest, Labor Day fireworks.
The Kentucky horse park and lexington in General was great! I haven't visited Louisville yet, but plan to! Put in bay is added to the list as well now, thanks!

Old 05-03-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks jprice for the links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio