Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM

103 posts, read 453,309 times

Advertisements

MissHome,
Thank you as well for the encouraging words. We only have the one child and at 11 she is just starting with the "attitudes" haha. I worry also about this being the right thing coming from the North to the deep south. but it was a choice made on finances and my husband being downsized after 11 years at the same cleveland company...what can you do. I will definitely keep in touch and you do the same I am either on the Ohio forum with fellow Buckeyes or the Alabama forum which can be reached on the same page since I need to make some contacts down there. Once I get settled after the craziness of this move and the holidays I can fill everyone in on how we'll "fit in" Happy Thanksgiving, were supposed to be hot here this year....55 degrees haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 02:03 PM

28 posts, read 97,368 times
paintballer- the schools here are ranked 48 out of 50 for the worst schools. But i think it has alot to do with the fact that they are so over crowded. They have built portables on the play grounds for extra class rooms. And there are alot of substitute teachers that have to fill in until there are enough teachers. I think they were short like 300 teachers at the start of the school year. They keep building new schools because of all the growth out here, it's just hard to keep up with it all.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:54 PM

976 posts, read 3,863,250 times
^ It sounds so crazy out there. I still can't get over the fact that they were literally digging at the mountain in Henderson to make more room for growth.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:02 AM

paintballer- Yes, the growth is like nothing i've ever seen before.It is kind of neat being here to see all of the changes though.The southwest part of the valley is another section with tons of development. There is a new master planned community called Mountains Edge. It is coming along nicely.So you said you come here often? Do you stay on the strip or do you have someone who lives here to stay with?

Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 PM

976 posts, read 3,863,250 times
I dont go to Vegas ofter, during my career i have been there about four times. That is over a two year period. I usually stay in the city limits, but i did stay in Henderson once. I stayed in the Flamingo my first time i went there. Las Vegas is a great city, i just dont see what attracts people there. The scenery is amazing dont get me wrong, and Lake Mead was beautiful, it just seems like a corrupt society with all the gambling. For heavens sake, the gas stations had slot machines. Now Lake Mead is getting more shallow with all the use of water. Water will be a problem in a few decades out west. They have plans to take it from the Great Lakes though. I dont know how well that will go with people from cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland and Chicago.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,626 times
I grew up in Vermilion. Actually, move there in the 5th grade and felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I escaped as soon as I graduated from VHS and only occasionally go back. I still love the place and often fantasize about owning a large boat and living in the Lagoons. Then reality sets in and I remember the blockages of the river by ice and the flooding in those lagoons. I remember when Vermilion was a very small town and I reminisce about those small town days. I'm a stranger there now, but I still miss it. It's a hidden gem that most Ohioans don't know about. The Ford plant closing will take it back to those small town days. Want to buy a $300,000 house for $175,000?

I can still taste Paul's hot dogs next to Hart's Drug Store.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 50,721 times
Hey Clarkx3 I'm from South Amherst too! My parents still live there. This original thread has me worried as I can't wait to move out of OH (currently living in Toledo). I really honestly don't think I'll miss OH, but I'm afraid I'll end up not liking where I move. I was convinced I wanted to move to Arizona or New Mexico, but after reading a lot of the postings on this site, the prices in AZ and the crime in both have me a little leary. I just want to find somewhere where I can feel safe, afford to own a home, and have nice weather! If anybody has any ideas, let me know!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 PM

103 posts, read 453,309 times
Hey Sarahbc
glad to hear from a fellow SA girl !
I know what you mean about leaving Ohio....it's always great to try something new so I won't discourage anyone from that. I have lived in Florida, great to vacation there, not to live for me anyway. Lived in Columbus Ohio...not bad.. and Indiana, couldn't wait to get out of there. I am not knocking anyplace though. It is definitely a good idea to spread your wings now and then too, it'll make you appreciate home whether you ever want to come back and live or not! I would not have personally chosen Alabama for our family, but my husbands job is taking us away again so you just hope it's the right choice. I can't tell you too much about AZ but my grandparents lived there before they passed away, they lived in the burbs outside of Tucson. They loved it as did the family when they visited, but you are right on cost of living. Housing is outrageous, but that's all relative, you know from living in Ohio it's one of the cheaper areas to live nowadays. We will miss snow....believe it or not haha, but we'll see it when we visit for Christmas hopefully! I wish you luck. I don't know much about Toledo but a good family friend lives there now. She hated it her whole time in college but now she loves it..go figure. Good luck with your decision and thanks for saying "hi"

Old 11-30-2006, 12:54 PM

sarahbc- i agree with clarkx3. you should venture out into the world.i too thought i would never miss ohio, i was soo shocked at how homesick i was.but i'm really starting to like it here in vegas.i think it takes a couple of years to settle in somewhere.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
Thumbs up seaside

[color="Purple"][font="Comic Sans MS"]misshome--I agree with you that it takes awhile to start to like Vegas, moved here 13 yrs ago, wasn't impressed with the west at all. Since it did have 1 thing that made it special was the SUN wakes me 363 days a year, not weeks of rainy, deary weather. I miss the snow but travel up to Mt. Charleston, got caught in storm once witnin 30 mintues was back to sunny Vegas, where else could that happen? I miss New York so I save when I can to go back.... welcome to Vegas enjoy the lights around the valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio