Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:37 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,501,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Ohio is a 3rd tier state..when you think of every most states you think of something, a symbol for the state...when you think of Ohio...what do you think of?
Pretty ignorant post.

I think of football, rock n roll, buckeyes, heavy industry, Lake Erie.

So yeah, not a lot, only some of the most influential things of the modern era. Nbd though. Maybe even a 4th tier state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 05:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,174,724 times
Quote:
Ohio is a 3rd tier state..when you think of every most states you think of something, a symbol for the state...when you think of Ohio...what do you think of?
This is off topic and I reported it

Old 04-19-2016, 04:34 AM

844 posts, read 1,450,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Ignore the troll, folks.
When you think of Florida, you think oranges and beaches, when you think California you think sunshine and beaches, when you think of Texas, you think of cowboys, and I can go on and on.

Good or bad when you think of a state, you think of something that goes along with it...a SYMBOL if you will...but when you think of Ohio, what do you think of? Can I get an answer cavsfan137

Old 04-19-2016, 05:28 AM

5,515 posts, read 9,515,914 times
Quote:
When you think of Florida, you think oranges and beaches, when you think California you think sunshine and beaches, when you think of Texas, you think of cowboys, and I can go on and on.

Good or bad when you think of a state, you think of something that goes along with it...a SYMBOL if you will...but when you think of Ohio, what do you think of? Can I get an answer cavsfan137
How is it Ohio's fault that you don't think of football, rock'n'roll, the Wright bros., etc.? And, even if you aren't aware of any of Ohio's symbols, how does that make a state like Idaho better, just because it probably makes you think of potatoes?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,704,958 times
The California post isn't quite accurate because California is such a big state. Do you think of sunshine in the Bay Area and north? Not likely. And you certainly don't think of beaches if you're living in Fresno. Same goes for New York, or Texas (although based on your first post, it wouldn't surprise me that you still think Texas is mostly cowboys). Way too diverse to generalize.

I'd say that if I think of Ohio naturally, what comes to mind is diversity, because sure there's farm country (I believe Ohio is among the top 10 states for it), but there's also Forest (another thing Ohio is known for, bike/hike trail conservation), obviously it's known for the Buckeye tree, it has marshland, a Great Lake with beaches, a great river (the Ohio), caves/incredible rock and glacial formations, rolling hills, etc.

Historically, it's known as a state that really played a big part in pushing the world into its modern existence. For one thing, it probably played a more significant role than any other state in being abolitionists (pro-slavery. The National Underground Railroad Museum is located in Cincinnati). It is known for wielding power and influence, as 8 presidents are from Ohio, more than any other state (tied with Virginia). And as other have mentioned it's known for industry (Glass, Tires, Oil/Steel, Airplanes, Electricity, all those little things).

Culturally, it's known for sort of being a crossroads. In the middle you have Columbus, solidly Midwestern city. In the south, you have Cincinnati, a city that has some Midwestern elements, but also very much, a gateway to the south. And in the north, you have Cleveland, a city with some Midwestern elements, but also in many ways a gateway to the northeast. Just out of curiosity, how many states can you name that have at least 3 "Big League" (2 million or more in metro) cities? If I think about it, honestly, the only others that I think have that are Florida, Texas and California.

Beyond that, it has played a major role in defining modern pop culture. Today, it is known for being an affordable, friendly, safe place with many natural, cultural and entertainment (Cedar Point) amenities. So, I agree, there's not one thing you can use to "define" Ohio. And that's all right.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,952,054 times
^I think you mean anti-slavery........

Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,238,410 times
Quote:

Sorry to feed the troll, but I think of the greatest roller coaster amusement park in the WORLD, Cedar Point, when I think of Ohio!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:51 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,261,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Sorry to feed the troll, but I think of the greatest roller coaster amusement park in the WORLD, Cedar Point, when I think of Ohio!
I don't think of beaches or sunshine in California...I think of Fog (SF Bay area) and Smog (LA)

Old 05-04-2016, 02:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,852,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
^I think you mean anti-slavery........
FWIW, I actually do think of abolition in regards to Ohio. I am a history nerd and specifically one about Ohio and NW Ohio in particular where I live, which has an interesting history in regards to abolitionist activity and the Underground Rail Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I don't think of beaches or sunshine in California...I think of Fog (SF Bay area) and Smog (LA)
I also think of smog in regards to California. I think of the Golden Gate Bridge in SF Bay area. But in general about California I think "expensive" lol.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:29 AM

34 posts, read 39,315 times
Dayton first of all I believe is a first tier city. Dayton has not merged with Cincinnati. I believe they never will, there 55 miles apart They are completely different and separate city's. They have different TV markets. Besides that though, Dayton offers more big city life than Toledo and Akron. Dayton also has the largest metro and the largest employer, Wright Patterson Air Force Base. With Dayton's rich aviation heritage, and many patents created in the city by countless inventors, Dayton is the true winner in this contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio