Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,385,014 times

Advertisements

floods hit akron and wiped out the reservoirs damns known as portage lakes in 1913 they supplied the ohio canal with water to operate the locks , i think that was the end of the canal. not sure though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,518,344 times
What town in Ohio has been recognized 3 times in the last 5 years as having the Best Tasting Munincipal Drinking Water in the World?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,698,167 times
Montpelier is the winner again this year.
Here's the link. http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0228BestWater28-ON.html (broken link)

Old 03-02-2007, 09:26 AM

191 posts, read 188,248 times
It is Floods.
The floods were the worst in Ohio history, killing almost 350 people and damaging estimating over 100 million in property. The Conversancy Act allowed flood-control districts to be established creating many flood control reserviors and dams.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM

thus we have tappan,beach city and heck or should i say damn, i cant think of the many great man made reservoirs were made from this act that give us boating,swimming,and fishing areas

who can name them all?

Last edited by htlong; 03-02-2007 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-03-2007, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 30,708 times
[quote=South Range Family;193338]Yes, Pretty Boy Floyd was killed by the East Liverpool police. It was actually a little farther north in St. Claire Township Columbiana County near Calcutta. I don't remember if it was on Sprucevale Rd. or route 170, but it was on top of the hill above Beaver Creek State Park. The historical marker is still there.

I am a little confused about this. My father was on the Wellsville Ohio police force when Pretty Boy Floyd was killed. Adam Richetti, Pretty Boy's driver, was captured the night before sleeping in a car outside of Wellsville and held at that city's lockup. The force was afraid that Floyd would spring him so set up sandbags on rooftops with armed men waiting. I do in fact have a picture of Richetti posing with Fultz outside of his jail cell in Wellsville.

Chief John Fultz of the Wellsville force was also on the posse looking for Floyd and almost got him in a cabin in the woods outside of Wellsville. The story related to me was that Floyd was shot in Lisbon Ohio. His body was laid out in East Liverpool where thousands viewed the body. I believe that Floyd himself was shot running through a corn field by a man with a deer rifle.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,698,167 times
This is what the historical marker says.

Text : Side A
In these fields, formerly the site of the Ellen Conkle farm, notorious Depression-Era desperado Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd met his death at the hands of federal agents and members of the East Liverpool Police Department on October 22, 1934. Floyd's criminal career as a bank robber, who reputedly committed a dozen murders, mostly police officers, caused him to be designated "Public Enemy #1" only three months earlier by J. Edgar Hoover.

Text : Side B
Believed to be returning to his home in the Cookson Hills of Oklahoma after a year of hiding, Floyd and his partner, Adam Richetti, had attracted the attention of local police near Wellsville, Ohio. A shoot-out ensued, resulting in Richetti's capture and Floyd's escape. Agent Melvin Purvis supervised the three-day manhunt, which ended here when eight lawmen ended Floyd's life of violence. "Pretty Boy's" body was placed on public display in East Liverpool before being returned to Oklahoma for burial.

County
Columbiana

Directions
Sprucevale Rd. 2 miles south of Clarkson

Latitude / Longitude
40.42847 ° / -80.35305 °

Category(s)
Law (LAW)

Keyword(s)
Crimes

Sponsor(s)
East Liverpool Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society

It came from this website. http://www.remarkableohio.org/index.cfm?action=search_markers.marker_details&mar ker_id=286 (broken link)

This is the google page with many more websites. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d.&btnG=Search

Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
thus we have tappan,beach city and heck or should i say damn, i cant think of the many great man made reservoirs were made from this act that give us boating,swimming,and fishing areas

who can name them all?
The 14 MWCD reservoirs are Atwood in Carroll and Tuscarawas counties; Beach City in Tuscarawas County; Bolivar in Stark and Tuscarawas counties; Charles Mill in Ashland and Richland counties; Clendening in Harrison County; Dover in Tuscarawas County; Leesville in Carroll County; Mohawk in Coshocton and Knox counties; Mohicanville in Ashland and Wayne counties; Piedmont in Belmont, Guernsey and Harrison counties; Pleasant Hill in Ashland and Richland counties; Seneca in Guernsey and Noble counties; Tappan in Harrison County; and Wills Creek in Coshocton and Muskingum counties

Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 11,508 times
Default Pretty Boy Floyd is family joke.

My mom saw Pretty Boy Floyd laid out. My grandpa Farrell Coleman's father was an owner of Gaston's mill in Beaver Creek State Park. Every time we went to the park, Grandpa would point out the place where Pretty Boy Floyd got shot. He "ALWAYS" told us; There's where pretty boy floyd got shot. It got so bad and we were so amused that eventually we all hollared every time we went by the spot. " THERE'S WHERE PRETTY BOY FLOYD GOT SHOT AND LAUGH LIKE CRAZY. AHH Those were the good old days. I sure do miss them days.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 AM

what building in Ohio is large enough to have its own atmosphere like rain inside of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio