Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 01:56 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

I mean, if people want to live in one of the ten largest metros in the country, or have warm weather 10-12 months out of the year, they'll hate Ohio. Otherwise, it has everything you need depending on which part of the state you live. There's beautiful outdoor destinations, cities with full amenities, prestigious universities, Rust Belt grunge, farms, mountains, museums, etc etc....most all at an affordable price compared to the coasts. I do think those who grew up here and have the urge to experience something different should do so....but many of us end up moving back and others from elsewhere find it a comfortable place to settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 08:26 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
People were shocked when I told them I was moving from Seattle to Ohio when I retired. People here are shocked when I tell them I moved here from Seattle. After I explain to them that I do not miss the traffic, crowding or expense of living in over-hyped Seattle, they start to get it. When I tell them I was able to buy a house with the cash profit I made selling my house in Seattle, they start to get it. When I tell them how much I love driving through the beautiful, peaceful countryside here with NO traffic, (other than maybe a hold-up when I get stuck behind an Amish buggy), they start to get it. When I tell them I can be in a big city, go to major sporting events, concerts, etc. in an hour, without the hassle of living in a big city, they start to get it. The positives of living here go on and on as far as I'm concerned. What's not to love? For all those who say the grass is greener elsewhere.....try it out for a while and then let me know.....low cost of living, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, no hurricanes....maybe a rare tornado....but not tornado alley....four seasons, beautiful green landscapes, hoping for fall color....now moderator, please delete this post before the state is inundated with retirees fleeing the HCOL coasts!

We have Amish and Mennonites in southern Ohio but there is the New Madrid fault line and Nor'easter's off of Lake Erie ... someone posted some time back that Ohio had no natural beauty ...lol...
they must of never left their safe place space to go out and see!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Was going to make a post about Ohio

Just I hear healthcare is amazing

Cost of living is low

Weather is similar to New England States/New York

Traffic is non-existent

It is a haunted State

Has great food

Great school systems

Has awesome amusement parks and roller coasters

Heavy metal music festivals

Reninisance Faire

Haunted attractions and unique museums

Has zoos, museums, and aquariums

Close to major cities

Low cost housing market

Low rents

Low taxes

Higher education facilities

Football!!!

Tecumseh outdoor play in Chillicothe Ohio real horses,great acting and they serve you dinner too ...

Old 11-15-2019, 06:14 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Objectively? Nothing. Subjectively? I'm sure he just likes the vibe better or has good friends there or any number of other things.
First and foremost. A clean lake. Along with Cleveland, Milwaukee has density, i.e. walkability. I'm in a suburb and our density is 8,900 per sq mile. It doesn't matter to a lot of people but it does to us. My kids are rarely in the car. Really just for hockey. Again, another thing that's serviceable in Cleveland but not many other places in Ohio. And we're a hockey family.

But it is mostly personal. Neither one of us want to be that close to our mothers. As far as my kids commenting they don't like Ohio either, they also don't want to be near my mother.

I would be perfectly happy to live in Cleveland. I don't care for Columbus (not enough grit/historical architecture and WAY too much college football worshipping) and Cincinnati may be an aesthetically pleasing city but it's not my style (too southern/conservative).

For what it's worth, we move around based on my husband's career. His current position doesn't exist in OH and the only offices in OH are in SE Ohio. Beautiful, yes, but poverty stricken and not a reasonable commute to a city. Ohio will never be an option for us.

Last edited by Vegabern; 11-15-2019 at 06:30 AM..

Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM

82 posts, read 165,753 times
Ohio is great, when we first moved there I thought is was going to be boring. But there's plenty to do; we lived in Beavercreek, you had several festivals every year. Then theres Kings Island the park and the Haunt Fest are great. Also, good food at Great Wolf and the surrounding area. Then every summer we would go to Put-in Bay, get a golf cart take a ride and see the sights. All in all Ohio has a lot to offer.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:39 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Beautiful, yes, but poverty stricken and not a reasonable commute to a city. Ohio will never be an option for us.
Re: your post 12 that mentioned Maumee and Perrysburg in Greater Toledo, did you ever live in Greater Cleveland?

Real per capita income is HIGHER in Greater Cleveland than in Greater Milwaukee by a few hundred dollars.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RPIPC33340

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RPIPC17460

Corporate headquarters employment is a mainstay of the northeast Ohio economy.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/arti...weight-hq-jobs

Greater Cleveland has many easy commutes. It also has far, far superior cultural institutions to Milwaukee.

Have you ever seen the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall or Blossom Music Center? The NY Times says the Cleveland Orchestra may be the best in the U.S. and its performance venues are highly acclaimed.

Have you ever been to the Cleveland Museum of Art in the last 5 years? I was at the Milwaukee Art Museum last summer and was shocked. It resembles a regional art museum, IMO not even on the same level as the Toledo or Cincinnati art museums, let alone the Cleveland Museum of Art.

https://www.fodors.com/news/arts-cul...ums-in-america

Have you ever been to a performance at Cleveland's superb Playhouse Square, one of the most dynamic theater districts in the U.S.?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

Culture enthusiasts would be unlikely IMO to choose to live in Milwaukee over Cleveland. I sure wouldn't.

How many acres of parks are there in Greater Milwaukee. With 5 large metropark systems, state parks, Holden Arboretum, and Cuyahoga Valley National Park, an easy bike ride from downtown Cleveland, my hunch is that Greater Cleveland also holds a significant edge for outdoors enthusiasts, especially given the varied elevations and terrain of Greater Cleveland. See posts 7 and 9 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

Greater Cleveland has at least 56,000 acres in its metropark systems, and another 19,000 federally owned acres in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which also includes acres owned by the Cleveland and Summit County metroparks. See post 41 here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

BTW, many high schools in Greater Cleveland have hockey teams.

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...2afb96c43.html

Last edited by WRnative; 11-17-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 07:43 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Re: hockey.

Grew up playing hockey in Cleveland. It's definitely a lot better than "Serviceable." I honestly haven't heard much at all about Wisconsin hockey. I would guess it's on the same level as Ohio. Cleveland and Toledo area teams have always been very competitive. When I was in HS we played in the Red Division with teams like Ignatius, US, Gilmour, Padua, etc. All of them regularly play and beat teams from out of state. Heck even we beat a Minnesota team and an Ontario team one year.

I think here you are just mistaken. Though I doubt this really has that huge an impact on your life. Just for the record!

Old 11-19-2019, 11:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Re: hockey.

Grew up playing hockey in Cleveland. It's definitely a lot better than "Serviceable." I honestly haven't heard much at all about Wisconsin hockey. I would guess it's on the same level as Ohio. Cleveland and Toledo area teams have always been very competitive. When I was in HS we played in the Red Division with teams like Ignatius, US, Gilmour, Padua, etc. All of them regularly play and beat teams from out of state. Heck even we beat a Minnesota team and an Ontario team one year.

I think here you are just mistaken. Though I doubt this really has that huge an impact on your life. Just for the record!
I'm not mistaken. I'll give you that I don't know what's happening in 2019 in Ohio.

But...

I'm well aware of Cleveland and Toledo's hockey. I remember the good old days when high school states rotated between the two. That always made for a fun road trip or a home game.

High School Hockey State Champions

2002 Lakewood St. Edward
2001 Shaker Heights
2000 Cleveland St. Ignatius
1999 Bowling Green *
1998 Bowling Green
1997 Bowling Green

1996 Lakewood St. Edward
1995 Lakewood St. Edward
1994 Lakewood St. Edward
1993 Shaker Heights
1992 Lakewood St. Edward
1991 Bowling Green

I have two daughters in hockey. Bowling Green doesn't even have a girls team. At any level. We have two at almost every level just at our local club. My eight year old is playing in an all-girls tournament this weekend. My 10 year old always plays girls.

Wisconsin Women are the reigning national champs. They have their own women's hockey rink. It's a great experience for girls.

WI girls hockey
https://scripts.wahahockey.com/scrip...statetourn.php

I can't find an equivalent for Ohio.

I play on two different women's teams. One house league and one travel.

You are correct though, even though we're a hockey family and we spend most of our winter at the rink, it's not the deciding factor in where we live. Though we would likely not move somewhere with no hockey by choice.

As for the Cleveland booster, you didn't even bother to read my post. I have nothing against Cleveland. I would likely be very happy there.

Last edited by Vegabern; 11-19-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 01:06 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I mean, if people want to live in one of the ten largest metros in the country, or have warm weather 10-12 months out of the year, they'll hate Ohio. ....
Well, exactly. Imagine the plight of a person who was born in Los Angeles, who went to school at UCLA or whatever, who got a job at Boeing in Huntington Beach. And then Boeing transfers this person to the field-office somewhere in Ohio. How would that feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Ohio is great, when we first moved there I thought is was going to be boring. But there's plenty to do; we lived in Beavercreek, you had several festivals every year. Then theres Kings Island the park and the Haunt Fest are great. Also, good food at Great Wolf and the surrounding area. Then every summer we would go to Put-in Bay, get a golf cart take a ride and see the sights. All in all Ohio has a lot to offer.
I'd opine that what makes a place interesting (as in, not-boring) isn't the amusement parks, the hiking trails or even the symphony/ballet/museums... rather, it is the people with whom one has the privilege to associate. Let me give two specific examples.

The first is for people of "ethnic" background. Generations ago, our nearest city (Dayton) had a strong presence of Eastern Europeans. This has almost entirely dissipated. So, suppose that you're Hungarian... as in, born and raised in Hungary. Until age 25 or whatever, your world was Budapest. Maybe Vienna. 100 years ago, moving to Dayton would have made sense, in terms of like-minded community. But today? If you want to engage in heated arguments in your native language in the city-park, to host tea-parties in your native language, and so forth, you'd struggle in finding compatriots in Dayton. Chances are much better in NYC or LA.

The second is for people with particular hobbies not normally associated with the Heartland, such as chess. To its credit, Dayton has a decent (if small) chess club. But again, it's nothing like NYC.

In both cases, the key challenge is finding the "right" people, with whom to form close and regular association. This is harder to do in a smaller metro area, and is hard anywhere in the Midwest, with the notable exception of Chicago.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:48 PM

17 posts, read 14,610 times
we went to berne Indiana last year to swim....the grass was literally greener. and the people much friendlier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio