Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 01:29 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times

Advertisements

I often read here on C-D that "the grass is greener" mentality is more prevalent in Ohio compared to other states. Or, some have said that you hear it from people in other states but not as much as you do in Ohio. So, is it true or not true? How true or untrue is it?

I think it's true that it's more prevalent here then other states. I hear it or read about more in Ohio than other states. I hear all the time that people need to out. I also hear some say that they need to move due to weather. I also read that some people who have moved to other states were told by other people that I know that you're glad you moved out of Ohio because there's nothing there.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 09-20-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 06:25 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
City Data is a wonderful source for complainers.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:47 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
City Data is a wonderful source for complainers.
True.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:49 AM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
People were shocked when I told them I was moving from Seattle to Ohio when I retired. People here are shocked when I tell them I moved here from Seattle. After I explain to them that I do not miss the traffic, crowding or expense of living in over-hyped Seattle, they start to get it. When I tell them I was able to buy a house with the cash profit I made selling my house in Seattle, they start to get it. When I tell them how much I love driving through the beautiful, peaceful countryside here with NO traffic, (other than maybe a hold-up when I get stuck behind an Amish buggy), they start to get it. When I tell them I can be in a big city, go to major sporting events, concerts, etc. in an hour, without the hassle of living in a big city, they start to get it. The positives of living here go on and on as far as I'm concerned. What's not to love? For all those who say the grass is greener elsewhere.....try it out for a while and then let me know.....low cost of living, no earthquakes, no volcanoes, no hurricanes....maybe a rare tornado....but not tornado alley....four seasons, beautiful green landscapes, hoping for fall color....now moderator, please delete this post before the state is inundated with retirees fleeing the HCOL coasts!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I moved to Ohio after 30 years in Texas, Wisconsin, Tennessee and New York. I've lived enough other places that I can appreciate Ohio's charms.

Earlier this month, I made my first visit to several places along the Lake Erie shore. What a great place to hang out and enjoy the weather and the water!

Old 09-21-2019, 10:41 AM

144 posts, read 158,893 times
I’m originally from Youngstown . I called Findlay and Cleveland home as well . I moved out of state to Chicago , Las Vegas and now live in Florida. I’ve been out of Ohio for 13 yrs. I definitely was a “ grass is greener” somewhere else kind of guy. Youngstown and Cleveland are two cities that shared a defeatist attitude in its residents and the national perception didn’t help. However, being away has made me appreciate Ohio, it’s people and I want to return. As I get older my priorities aren’t the same. I miss the sense of community. Florida is growing fast , everyone is from somewhere else or so it seems. I now find it silly I moved away from family and friends to avoid snow. I miss seasons and am done with the oppressive heat. Add traffic , snowbirds ( more traffic) , spring breakers (more traffic) , vacationers ( more traffic) , influx of new residents , you guessed it.... more traffic lol. Just my personal opinions and feelings. I do have a good life regarding my career and personal life (we been together throughout all this) . Saying that , we butt heads about moving to Ohio. So for me, even though my life isn’t bad at all the grass isn’t greener. It’s dead cause the sun has burnt it lol

Old 09-21-2019, 11:08 AM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times
I think much of it comes from all of those awful "10 best"/"10 worst" type listings clogging the internet... Guess what, not everyone/every retiree wants to live in a treeless desert, stifling heat and/or humidity for many months, ridiculous angry traffic, or $350k for a double-wide on a postage stamp. I have lived in many, many places all across the US, and *shocking*, I LIKE 4 seasons, moderate snowfall, some room to breathe, less aggressive traffic, friendly folks, lower cost of living, and even flat terrain with mixed trees... Ohio seems to have this in spades, and a lot of variation on the theme.

I will read many times "how boring" OH is... Well, even *if* the case, I feel sorry for folks who can not embrace the simple joys of life... Quiet walks, nice lonely drives, clear star-filled skies, friendly smiles and hellos, etc... Wow, how exciting to sit in aggressive, soul-killing traffic for two hours a day, live in a selfish unfriendly cell-phone zombie bubble, snapping selfies all day to 'show-off' to folks who don't give a damn about you, paying half your pay for rent/mortgage - How exciting ... If that flicks-your-bic, great, but if you demean the virtues of what you perceive as 'boring', you might reconsider.

I experienced the same bewilderment when suggested I move to one of the 'hot' retirement locations, to which I said I don't think so... Could I swing it?, I guess, but why if other places tick the boxes more to my style? I'm really looking hard at Ohio locations to settle down in around Huron, and Columbiana OH, and have been really trying to see which will get a potential cut. I'm not going to say Ohio or anywhere else has the greenest grass, just the same I posted this a few years back FWIW... Maybe others here will agree per your experiences.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...nto-ne-oh.html

I no longer live in the location from my post, but a place I absolutely hate in NW PA, and can not wait to get out of this unfriendly, angry chip on the shoulder, crazy speeding/tailgating, clannish, depressing, weird vibed hell-hole per my view of the elephant. Glad you liked Lake Erie Bo; what a fantastic area, and you even get a New England vibe in some places... Do you know of the Connecticut Western Reserve? If not, how fascinating it is, and is the why behind what you will see in NE'ish OH.

https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Con...estern_Reserve

Have a great weekend everybody.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Any place you move to will seem better because you haven't done/seen the things they have there. It's how long you live in a place that will determines if there are still things to do and places to see.

Is any place perfect? Hell no! But some are better than others for many reasons and for many different people.

I lived in Ohio for over 50 years. I'm glad I lived in Ohio but I'm also glad I left, except for the food. Ohio will always have the best ethnic food, but I will take all year golf over that.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:23 AM

162 posts, read 125,693 times
Yeah I think so.. I can understand why Ohio would draw so much criticism from its residents. Ohio has brutal cold winters and lots of snow from the lake effect . The Cleveland Metro area is a dangerous city with high crime rates. The local economy is not best shape. I think south west and central Ohio is little better with the weather and economy with exception of Dayton's local economy. Like any place it depends on how much money you have , the more the better off you are. I think it might be interesting to own some forested land in Southern Ohio

Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyinmyeyes34 View Post
Yeah I think so.. I can understand why Ohio would draw so much criticism from its residents. Ohio has brutal cold winters and lots of snow from the lake effect . The Cleveland Metro area is a dangerous city with high crime rates. The local economy is not best shape. I think south west and central Ohio is little better with the weather and economy with exception of Dayton's local economy. Like any place it depends on how much money you have , the more the better off you are. I think it might be interesting to own some forested land in Southern Ohio
hmm and yet Cuyahoga County remains the 2nd most populated county in Ohio (barely edged by Franklin).

The Cleveland metro area is certainly not dangerous. Doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio