Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 40,675 times

Advertisements

I am moving the the fremont area and the wife and I went up to look at houses and the area. My wife left crying becuase, she was really disappointed in the way the schools looked and we did not see any nice areas of town, we found 1 subdivision south of town but thew houses were really high priced....

1. Is there any areas in fremont the would be nice for a family with 4 kids, and the houses are under 200k?

2. What about other areas to live in a 20 - 30 min drive radius?

3. My wife is a stay at home mom and I really want her to be able to continue to do that....is Fremont overpriced for cost of living?

4. What about schools , how do they rank etc,,

Any and all help would be great.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:31 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,352 times
Default I could see this thread ending up quiet...

So, I'll pipe up and say something. Sometimes people equate silence as being rude. I don't know why, but it's happened before.

While I think I remember someone saying they were from Fremont on these boards, that was a while ago (maybe summer of last year? I can't remember). There could someone here who's been there a little bit more than me. I, myself, have been there a handful of times for HS football games, etc., and don't have specific information on academic performance and housing. Sorry.

I think I'd be able to help you out with No. 3, however. Bowling Green, to the west, is approximately 30 minutes. You could get a bitmap picture of Ohio, pull up the paint program, and basically make a circle with Fremont as its center and a radius reaching Bowling Green.

That will give you a rough estimation of how far out you can go in 30 minutes. As I've done it, maybe you should check out either Sandusky or BG. Tiffin, Fostoria, and Clyde have definitely seen better days, and Port Clinton is more of a summer vacation spot than a four-season town.

I'm sorry to hear your wife left in tears. What had your heart set on Fremont?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
So, I'll pipe up and say something. Sometimes people equate silence as being rude. I don't know why, but it's happened before.

While I think I remember someone saying they were from Fremont on these boards, that was a while ago (maybe summer of last year? I can't remember). There could someone here who's been there a little bit more than me. I, myself, have been there a handful of times for HS football games, etc., and don't have specific information on academic performance and housing. Sorry.

I think I'd be able to help you out with No. 3, however. Bowling Green, to the west, is approximately 30 minutes. You could get a bitmap picture of Ohio, pull up the paint program, and basically make a circle with Fremont as its center and a radius reaching Bowling Green.

That will give you a rough estimation of how far out you can go in 30 minutes. As I've done it, maybe you should check out either Sandusky or BG. Tiffin, Fostoria, and Clyde have definitely seen better days, and Port Clinton is more of a summer vacation spot than a four-season town.

I'm sorry to hear your wife left in tears. What had your heart set on Fremont?

I dont know If i am set on living in Fremont...It is just that is where the job is and with the cost of gas going even higher and higher I wanted to stay somewhat as close as I can.

I went to school in BG so I know that area, prefer to stay away from the college town....we currently live in a small town around 12k people...and the big thing is we are getting a Sonic and a Manards...the schools are decent and it is a nice community feeling. When we drove around fremont all the elementary schools we seen had modular class rooms for for classes and the areas the schools were in looked very depressed. My goal is to try to find a comparable place to live.

This is my wifes first move out of her comfort zone of where she grew up. So I am trying to make is as easy as possible, with a nice area to live in.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,681 times
Default Moving to Fremont

Sorry to hear that Fremont was so disappointing for you wife. I agree with that you may want to widen your search to Findlay and Bowling Green ...even Perrysburg. Here's a good link for searching school districts.

GreatSchools.net

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dunn View Post
Sorry to hear that Fremont was so disappointing for you wife. I agree with that you may want to widen your search to Findlay and Bowling Green ...even Perrysburg. Here's a good link for searching school districts.

GreatSchools.net

Good luck!

Thanks for the link. That will help.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,116 times
Oh sweet woman... We are leaving our home in SE MI for Findlay, and while it seems lovely, I cried much of the time that we were there for our first few visits...

I can share anything that I have learned about Findlay, and that's only a bit of what Art seems to know... But please feel free to have her message me if she would like to talk to someone in a similar situation. (A stay at home mom with 3 kids that is moving away from where she is happy...)

Oh good luck! I wish you all the best!

Last edited by ImaMichigander; 05-26-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
Oh sweet woman... We are leaving our home in SE MI for Findlay, and while it seems lovely, I cried much of the time that we were there for our first few visits...

I can share anything that I have learned about Findlay, and that's only a bit of what Art seems to know... But please feel free to have her message me if she would like someone in a similar situation. (A stay at home mom with 3 kids that is moving away from where she is happy...)

Oh good luck! I wish you all the best!
Thanks.

I will have her do that. Perhpas it will help her in this transition.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,116 times
I just went onto realtor.com and did a search for within 20 miles of Fremont, from $150-$200 with 4+ bedrooms. There were about 160 homes that popped. Some of them seemed well worth a look-- decent square footage and some with 5 bedrooms. Some were new construction-- as in 2008, but no photos-- and others were those big beautiful early 1900's home. I can't speak for any of the schools, but there were houses that I would definately take at look at, if I ws searching in that price range. Seemed like they were mostly in Tiffin, Fostoria, Perrysburg and Port Clinton. It would give me hope and something proactive to take a look at!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Anyone else out there from the Fremont/ Surrounding areas?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:52 PM

58 posts, read 204,488 times
I am if you still need info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio