Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 07:29 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,169,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bated breath. Common mistake. Maybe English isn't your first language, and if so, I present to you a pass.
The one time I actually make a spelling error. Not that I really need your grace or condescension (especially since I generally tend to find that native English speakers, on average, make orders of magnitude more mistakes than us, native-like immigrants - and in much more common words), but I do appreciate the correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 07:31 AM

10,773 posts, read 5,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
There are a lot of anecdotes of people saying they've been abducted by aliens. Simply relating a perceived or believed experience is not in itself hard data.
That’s not at all what I said.

Quote:
But we can study the effects of gun laws. Here's one such recent study: https://journals.lww.com/epidem/abst...ate_gun.3.aspx

Results:
We find strong, consistent evidence supporting the hypothesis that restrictive state gun policies reduce overall gun deaths, homicides committed with a gun, and suicides committed with a gun. Each additional restrictive gun regulation a given state passed from 1991 to 2016 was associated with −0.21 (95% confidence interval = −0.33, −0.08) gun deaths per 100,000 residents. Further, we find that specific policies, such as background checks and waiting periods for gun purchases, were associated with lower overall gun death rates, gun homicide rates, and gun suicide rates.

Conclusion:
State regulations passed from 1991 to 2016 were associated with substantial reductions in gun mortality. We estimate that restrictive state gun policies passed in 40 states from 1991 to 2016 averted 4297 gun deaths in 2016 alone, or roughly 11% of the total gun deaths that year.
I haven’t read the referenced study, and as such, can’t comment on it. However, even if I stipulate to the highlighted conclusion, it’s important to look at the positive uses of guns over the same time period. The actual numbers are rather “squishy” due to a number of factors, but reasonable estimates of the lawful uses of guns in self defense range from 10’s of thousands to millions per year, completely dwarfing the 2016 data presented above.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:33 AM

10,773 posts, read 5,694,213 times
Quote:
I'm also alive and well and have never owned a gun. Can you explain that? Does my anecdote therefore cancel yours out?
It’s a non-event, a thing that never occurred. It doesn’t cancel out anything.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That’s not at all what I said.
That's exactly what you said. There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of anecdotes from people who claim to have been abducted by aliens. Surely, given their vast number, by now they would have been synthesized into something that could be used as empirical proof of the aliens' existence?
Quote:
The actual numbers are rather “squishy” due to a number of factors, but reasonable estimates of the lawful uses of guns in self defense range from 10’s of thousands to millions per year, completely dwarfing the 2016 data presented above.
No, what's squishy - until you post a source of your numbers - is the highlighted phrase.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It’s a non-event, a thing that never occurred. It doesn’t cancel out anything.
So, the only anecdotes you'd allow are the ones that prove your point of view, but not ones that disprove (or, rather, fail to prove) it, is that what I'm reading? That's not how this thing works, at all.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
I'm also alive and well and have never owned a gun. Can you explain that? Does my anecdote therefore cancel yours out?
No, it's just another anecdote.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:21 AM

160 posts, read 88,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...t-Drive-Violen
This was a study by the Center for Justice Research:
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...stice-Research

Gun Crime was down overall; down in Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Parma, and Canton. Up in Cincinnati and Dayton.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost stated: “This is not to downplay the very real problem of crime in many neighborhoods in our cities – you don’t need a research team to see that gun violence destroys lives, families and opportunity,” Yost said. “The key takeaway from this study is that we have to keep the pressure on the criminals who shoot people, rather than Ohioans who responsibly exercise their Second Amendment rights.”
LOL, that's some great spin.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:23 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,993,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The one time I actually make a spelling error. Not that I really need your grace or condescension (especially since I generally tend to find that native English speakers, on average, make orders of magnitude more mistakes than us, native-like immigrants - and in much more common words), but I do appreciate the correction.
Man, showing humility really is difficult for you, isn't it?

I don't find that native English speakers are worse at speaking English than non-native speakers, but if you're committed to showing that this is true, then it follows that you should be more careful with your English.

No one here knows you or knows what connection you have to Ohio. We have to go on what we see, which is arrogance, disrespect...and, a conspicuous botching of a common English idiom.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
The pleasure is all mine.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:00 AM

251 posts, read 76,456 times
Quote:
Excellent. You've demonstrated the first thing I was looking for - a basic knowledge of history. Now for the next step - to relate it to this country's state of affairs and what exactly you're afraid of. Especially in view of the fact that the U.S. government, including the current administration, have NEVER even remotely threatened to establish the level of gun control you're describing.
You know who has though? The very people I bet they trust with gun deregulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio