Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM

19 posts, read 79,488 times

Advertisements

Cort - Thank you for replying. I think we will check out Howland it sounds just what we are looking for. The fact that it is like you said 5 minutes away from Warren and about 20 minutes away from Youngstown sounds great. We want something that is close to those towns and still have a nice size yard. I like the idea of starting a diary on here once we get moved to Ohio. I think that it will not only be entertaining for you guy's but it will be a great keepsake for myself and informative for people who are looking for info on the area plus what its like to move from one region to another. Well thanks again for replying.

Stephanie and Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,941,839 times
You're welcome. Definintely, out of those two, Howland is the winner. It's probably in the top two for most desirable areas in Trumbull County. Howland has everything from small lots and small homes, to acreage and million dollars spreads. I've never really heard anything bad about the schools and you will get some more racial diversity there (for this area anyway) because of the Dr.'s that live in Howland. The income levels are very diverse in Howland too. You might have some people working in factories while others are lawyers and executives. I should also add that a lot of people from Trumbull County commute to areas around Akron and Cleveland for work.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,595 times
Hi
I was born & raised in Niles, Ohio- 3rd generation.
I Lived in Brecksville, Shaker heights & Beachwood, Ohio
x was military medical core so we also lived in Chicago, Virginia & AZ.
I'm back in Niles now.
I WOULD RECOMMEND NILES & HOWLAND.
Northeast Niles has access to Howland Schools
I agree with most of the above- except drugs - drugs are no different than any other town.
AS others have mentioned-Stay away from older part-S Cedar & Mason & Royal Mall apts.- although my grandparents lived there 20 -50 years ago-
NILES IS THE ONLY CITY THAT IS FINANCIALLY SOLVENT. MAYOR INFANTE RUNS A TIGHT SHIP.
UTILITIES ARE THE LOWEST. OTHER CITIES GET THERE UTILITIES FROM NILES. Malls generates income for niles. Senator Ryan & family live in Niles.
Good luck

Last edited by nlvflp; 01-31-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM

571 posts, read 944,055 times
I live in Howland/Niles and maybe I'm biased because I'm still in high school, but I find it to be incredibly boring. It's good if you like stability, and we have a recently opened rec center that is fantastic. The Eastwood Mall is the hub of this area, with plenty to do, though Waldenbooks recently closed which makes me mad. Borders is nearby but it's not in the actual mall :/

Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,443,786 times
When we were in Ohio last year we went to Boardman twice; lots of traffic but lots of shopping places. We also went to Poland which was a cute area.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,956 times
I like Boardman. I come from SoCal and it feels "normal" to me. Meaning there are lots of stores and plenty of places to eat and they're all right next to each other. While certainly smaller than many places, you are not going to get a small town feel in Boardman if you are anywhere near 224.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM

365 posts, read 1,402,776 times
^ Actually, Canfield (near 224 & 46/62) fits the small town bill almost to a "T". There's plenty of small shops, a central park, the fairgrounds & quaint neighborhoods made up of historic homes. While it's close to Boardman it may be too far off from Warren/Niles though (20 minute or so drive). I know the rental rates are great there as a few of my friends live out that way. Not too sure about the schools. if anything, it might be another area to consider.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 AM

21 posts, read 159,965 times
Well Columbiana (which is very close to Boardman) is a great place to live! It's got a fantastic school system, the small town feel with Boardman about 10 min away and pittsburgh only about 45 min, and a lot of cute little areas. I actually just bought a home there and am paying about $600 a month for my mortgage... it beats renting by far! I actually haven't been to Niles many times, but I don't think its a "small" city. You might want to check into the crime rates... just a thought. Also, Canfield is right beside Boardman, and offers a much better feel for the small-town life and is also a wonderful place to live (very high-class, but not ridiculously expensive). Good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwoodsZJ View Post
^ Actually, Canfield (near 224 & 46/62) fits the small town bill almost to a "T". There's plenty of small shops, a central park, the fairgrounds & quaint neighborhoods made up of historic homes. While it's close to Boardman it may be too far off from Warren/Niles though (20 minute or so drive). I know the rental rates are great there as a few of my friends live out that way. Not too sure about the schools. if anything, it might be another area to consider.
I'm trying to remember... is that on the way to Deerfield? If so, I've been through where you're talking about. Yep... that has the feel of small town America alright.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 AM

365 posts, read 1,402,776 times
Actually, I'm not sure where Deerfield is. If you're traveling on 224 heading away from Boardman you'll come to an intersection where 46 crosses 224 (a few miles past Route 11). If you make a right, it will take you towards Austintown & eventually Niles. If you make a left, it will bring you to another 4 way stop, hang a right there & you'll be on 62 which will take you towards Salem. Tucked away on the lefthand side of 62 (just past the fire station), there's a few small neighbothoods packed with some really nice historic homes. I looked at a few homes in that area a couple years back but I ended up buying a home on Canfield Rd just up from Mill Creek Park instead. I really like that area a lot, infact, I still keep an eye out for homes for sale in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio