Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times

Advertisements

A lot of architectural characteristics that I referred to upthread are in this juicy gritty thread. I love it!

Recession 09: Cincinnati

This was also posted on an international forum. It's interesting reading comments from people from all over the world.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=165475

Last edited by Cincy-Rise; 02-23-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
I was born and raised in Ohio, and lived the past 20 years here, in the south. When I talk to back homers, they say I have a southern accent, but down here, I get told I have the New York accent. It always amazes me. I wasn't from NY, I lived in Wintersville. Yay Wintersville!
I think the johnny rebs are mistaking a little bit of a Pittsburgh sound for NY. To me, Pittsburgh and NYC sound like night and day, nothing alike. I've heard Southerners make the observation, though, that all of PA and the part of Ohio near PA sound like we have a "Joisey" accent. Just what they hear, I can't imagine. Maybe all Northerners sound New Yorkish to some Southern natives.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
ya'll ever heard some one from youngstowns accent..they have a sound of their own....
Very true. You have a unique mixture of Pittsburgh and Cleveland sounds and pronunciations. One hears the "ee-ack" sounds of Cleveland in words like black and blast alongside Western PA staples like "up 'ere", ending phrases in 'ere, and the "w" sound in words like box and top: "bwax" and "twap". Youngstown/Warren sounds kind of like this: "I ree-an inta some blee-ack ice up 'ere on 11. Yeeah, it's pretty slick aht there. Stay off the roads if ya kee-an". A Pittsburgher hears a Cleveland accent here, and a Clevelander hears Pittsburghese.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Not everyone in Youngstown has an accent.........the ones that do sound like they are from Appalachia or western Pa.
Unless the listener is from Pittsburgh, in which case they will probably notice a little bit of the Cleveland "eeaccent". The Mahoning Valley tends to have a blend of the Pittsburgh and Cleveland accents. Go over Sharon or New Castle, and the Cleveland sound has faded. Head up to Ashtabula, or, as die-hard natives say, "Eeeash-ah-bewla", and the sound is all Cleveland. Listen to Mark Allen in the morning on 97.1 FM, switch over to 98.9 for a while, and, finally, sample a little 99.7 FM or, if you can tune it in, 102.5 WDVE in Pittsburgh, and you will hear the comparison.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Well, i can't say i've ever heard a Cleveland accent here in Warren or the surrounding area............trust me i know when i hear a Cleveland accent, it makes me cringe! I went to school w/a girl from Lake Co. and dear god.........finger nails on a chalk board when she talked. She used to call me Keethy instead of Kathy and said maam instead of mom. There is also a girl who does the weather in Y-town (channel 21) that has the Cleveland accent and i can't stand to listen to her!

I have heard the western pa thing south of Youngstown especially in Columbiana County. The only accent i've ever noticed here is that we replace "th" with a "da" sound (which is a Pa thing). I also say "up 'ere" and often hear people end sentences w/a proposition. "Where ya at??" Some things that i don't say are "tager"(tiger), "worsh"(wash), "kellar"(color), "arn"(iron), etc. I pronounce iron, "i-urn".

I think the MV is kind of a strange area when it comes to accents. Many black people here have a southern accent because many of them are from Alabama, etc. Then you have the former West Virginians and Pennsyltuckians that live here that somewhat have an accent. Then there are the people who have lived here for years that mostly do the "th" thing. I took a sociology class at YSU several years ago and the prof said that most people in the valley only have an accent on "th"'s and otherwise we have the mainstream american accent or tv english i guess you would call it.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
This is an example of how i sound........the Warren accent http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa/ohio/ohio4.mp3

Greater Cleveland: http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa/ohio/ohio1.mp3 and http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa/ohio/ohio2.mp3

Here's how people south of Y-town sound: PITTSBURGHESE .com

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
i totally dis-agree with some of the previous posts.. no one from c-bus,cinci or central/southern ohio talks anything like a clevelander.. to us the rest of ohio sounds "country-ish" "southern" or whatever , but its very different... but chicago,detroit,cleveland all sound the same.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 AM

183 posts, read 634,075 times
I went to that site and they didn't pick the right person for Boston because in the dialog at the end she even admits that whenever she talks to someone that she doesn't know or when she talks with someone of authority she tries to pronounce her rs. I was in the Boston area for over a year and you could tell that she was from Boston, but her accent wasn't nearly as apparent as most of the people in Boston.

If Northeastern Ohioans really want to be like New Englanders, stop pronouncing your rs. Say "caa" instead of car.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
All I know is I can pick out a real Ohioan by the way they say Ohio. It's Ohia. Know what I mean?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I think the johnny rebs are mistaking a little bit of a Pittsburgh sound for NY. To me, Pittsburgh and NYC sound like night and day, nothing alike. I've heard Southerners make the observation, though, that all of PA and the part of Ohio near PA sound like we have a "Joisey" accent. Just what they hear, I can't imagine. Maybe all Northerners sound New Yorkish to some Southern natives.
Good point. That could be it in a nutshell. We all sound alike to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio