Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,864,292 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the long vacation, had some interesting responses to some of my posts throughout the site. I promise that I mayget to them sometime. Anyways, I am a huge fan of urban pioneering, and I’m creating a thread devoted the mainly the good, but also the bad and ugly, of urban pioneering in rust belt towns. Also plan to have parallel threads in Michigan and one directed at Upstate New York, along with Ohio, which have significant “rust”. This should be interesting with the large suburban presence around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,864,292 times
By the way, when I say "urban pioneering", I am talking about where yuppies and other urban-ly concerned individuals moved into older, historic properties in the "ghetto" and re-hab them, therefore turning it into a "cool" historic urban oasis instead of another part of a blighted rust-belt city. However, the Michiganders out there thought this meant hobo farming. Is this what it really means or have I been in the suburbs too long?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
I wish more people would consider this in Youngstown. There is such a huge collection of fantastic architecture that is just sitting here and decaying.

I'd love to be an urban pioneer myself. But, because I can't drive, I need to do so in an area with a better mass-transit system.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Is "urban pioneering" a new term for what some of us may know as "gentrification" or is it broader?

I have a relative who works for a lender in Ohio that specializes in loans for that type of home purchase/improvement. I'll have to ask her if she's heard of this term.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:12 PM

I think gentrification is often the result of urban pioneering. But, I'm not an expert on the subject.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think gentrification is often the result of urban pioneering. But, I'm not an expert on the subject.
I'm inclined to agree, JR_C. While I'm reasonably happy here in the 'burbs with my big 'ol rancher, I've always been more of an urban enthusiast. My wife is in walking distance of HER job, so she's happy. I, on the other hand drive 38 miles (PAST downtown Dayton) to get to work. And we spend waaay too much time and fuel running around from big-box store to chain restaurant!. City life isn't for everybody. My dear wife LOVES taking care of the yard and flowers (She grew up in Germany and never had a lawn to mow...) I, on the other hand, would gladly trade hauling our groceries to an elevator to mowing the lawn...

Skating dangerously near "Politics and Other Controversies", Should I go with the "Get off your behind and work and improve your lot in the city so that you, too, can be an Urban Pioneer" or should I agree with the "Once again, the poor people are displaced as the rich guys crowd us out AGAIN to build their dream houses"???

Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM

I would tend to agree with: "Get off your behind and work and improve your lot in the city so that you, too, can be an Urban Pioneer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio