Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM

87 posts, read 364,788 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been a New Yorker and a Minneapolitan.

Does Ohio have any cities that are liberal, with arts
and trees and some funky people and an ad agency or two
so I can work?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
I dont know about advertising, but for liberal, trees and funkyness it might be Cleveland, and maybe Columbus. Columbus is certainly funky. But Cleveland is maybe more liberal and it does have wooded neighborhoods.

You might want to post questions on Cleveland at Urban Ohio as one of the the moderators works in graphic design or magazine layout.

I know you are looking at Louisville too, and that is also a good choice. For the Ohio citys that would have a similar vibe it would be Columbus.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubcap_halo
Hello,

I've been a New Yorker and a Minneapolitan.

Does Ohio have any cities that are liberal, with arts
and trees and some funky people and an ad agency or two
so I can work?
No, of course not!

Kidding. Just kidding.

I've actually never been to Minneapolis, and the last time I was in New York I was a baby. So I don't remember anything about it. Nevertheless, I would have to say Cincinnati would probably come closest to giving you the most "cosmopolitan" feel akin to NY, inasmuch as that would be possible considering NY is so honkin' big. But Cincy definitely has the greater downtown vibe out of the rest of the large Ohio cities. Columbus is nice, but doesn't really have the "feel" that NY does. I would say Columbus would probably be closer to Minneapolis than Cincinnati, so it's a matter of figuring out which one you're more interested in. Cincinnati, as a whole, isn't really as liberal as Columbus, but it can be a bit funky. And yes, you can find arts and TONS of trees in Cincinnati. Ad agencies? You could check out http://adagenciescincinnati.com/ No doubt you'd find some in Columbus or Cleveland, too.

As an overall whole, I'd say you'd probably be more happy in Cincinnati or Columbus. You'd really have to visit to check them both out, because they are very different cities from one another.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:54 PM

87 posts, read 364,788 times
Thank you so much for the great reply!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 AM

37 posts, read 149,427 times
also look at Yellow Springs (outside of Dayton)

Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
Hmmmm....for some reason I thought Hubcap_halo was looking for a large city. It didn't occur to me that size wasn't specified in the OP. What about Athens?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:22 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Didn't see this post as well. If you are looking for work in an ad agency, then one of the bigger cities like Columbus or Cleveland would be a better choice. While Yellow Springs has that liberal village feel, the nearby city of Dayton probably doesn't offer a whole lot in the ad agency business. But still, it wouldn't hurt to look there too.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,640 times
There is only one true city in Ohio to choose. If you want trees, well, we have the best metropark system here. Downtown is always booming..Cincinnati is dead at night. The best skyline in Ohio.

http://internationalssoccer.com/tota...nd_Skyline.jpg

Last edited by Slash83; 09-08-2008 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 05:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
the city in ohio that is most like nyc is cleveland hands down !

Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
There is only one true city in Ohio to choose. If you want trees, well, we have the best metropark system here. Downtown is always booming..Cincinnati is dead at night. The best skyline in Ohio.

http://internationalssoccer.com/tota...nd_Skyline.jpg
lol typical cleveland "haterisms" on da nati. why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio