Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you say Ohio is in the Northeast or Midwest?
Northeast 60 21.13%
Midwest 202 71.13%
Other (specify in your post) 22 7.75%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,654 times

Advertisements

Then why on earth is it in the EASTERN time zone? just because you've heard other people call it the midwest does not make it the correct term. Does anyone who calls it midwestern own a map? Mississippi is south eastern but Ohio is mid western, yeah ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Culturally, Ohio is definitely in the Midwest rather than the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallaher1 View Post
Then why on earth is it in the EASTERN time zone? just because you've heard other people call it the midwest does not make it the correct term. Does anyone who calls it midwestern own a map? Mississippi is south eastern but Ohio is mid western, yeah ok.
Look at a map again yourself. Sure Mississippi is further west than Ohio, but when looking at the country as a whole you can see the the SE coast is far more western than the NE coast. Maine and Mass. are a lot further east than Florida. That's why Mississippi can still be considered the Southeast, but Ohio not the Northeast.

According to the Census, Ohio is in the Midwest (more specifically the East North Central region with Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin)

Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Ohio's the Midwest. It ain't Iowa, but it's still the Midwest.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:50 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
I say North east. Ohio resembles the NE more than Nebraska and Iowa. North east Ohio was laid out by people from Connecticut: (Connecticut Western Reserve). I don't know how we got stuck with the midwest name plate, I'd prefer we were part of the Northeast or "The Great Lakes".

My part of PA was also pineered by people from Connecticut. Our history is much more similar to that of the Mid Western states than the Ner England states. I'd say the same about Western NY Syaye, Less NYC and more MI OH.

Great Lakes might work. Michigan is not Iowa to say the least,

The are called the Mid West has a lot more diversity than the area called the south does.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I have lived in Cleveland and Columbus, and I feel that they are very different places. To me, Columbus seems much more "midwestern." I would never say that Cleveland is midwestern though. From my experience, Cleveland is much more similar to Pittsburgh and Buffalo than Indianapolis, for example. I like the term "Great Lakes" to describe Cleveland. There is kind of a northeastern influence here for sure, but it still isn't very Boston-y or New York-y, I think. I've been to Cincinnati several times too, and that's a totally different feel from either place. I don't know what to qualify Cincy as, but it doesn't really feel midwestern to me either.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Culturally, Ohio is definitely in the Midwest rather than the Northeast.
Could you outline those monstrous cultural differences between Northeast and Midwest? Looks the same to me. If you compare "culture" of a NE tax bracket to a corresponding Midwestern tax bracket, a gated "community" to a gated community, a trailer park to a trailer park, a ghetto to a ghetto, rural to rural, etc. the "cultures" are virtually identical. All the "cultural" differences boil down to a different tax bracket mix at a particular locale. The same is true about USA at large. Let's face it, USA is populated by centrally programmed "cultural" clones. Your "culture" is 100% related your current income/social class, it's virtually independent of your geographical location. The concept of "Midwest" has mild economical and geographical meaning, it has NO cultural meaning whatsoever.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Most of Ohio is firmly Midwest... but some of it is Appalachian... along the Ohio river south of Youngstown... west through Zanesville. Areas that are part of the Pittsburgh Tri-State (which overlaps with Appalachian Ohio), such as Steubenville and St. Clairsville, are not Midwest.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 PM

177 posts, read 431,199 times
I agree Ohio is very independent state and most of that's due to it's location. Thus with it's founding of being historically separated from the original 13 Colonies by the Appalachian Mtns, close proximity to Ontario, Canada, and 3 of it's five largest metros are entirely in the state. Ohio is in the Midwest but essentially is apart of the Great Lakes region.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM

364 posts, read 715,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Could you outline those monstrous cultural differences between Northeast and Midwest? Looks the same to me. If you compare "culture" of a NE tax bracket to a corresponding Midwestern tax bracket, a gated "community" to a gated community, a trailer park to a trailer park, a ghetto to a ghetto, rural to rural, etc. the "cultures" are virtually identical. All the "cultural" differences boil down to a different tax bracket mix at a particular locale. The same is true about USA at large. Let's face it, USA is populated by centrally programmed "cultural" clones. Your "culture" is 100% related your current income/social class, it's virtually independent of your geographical location. The concept of "Midwest" has mild economical and geographical meaning, it has NO cultural meaning whatsoever.
I agree with this 100 percent. People make it seem like citizens are drastically different from one another in each region of the United States. Excluding the accents and regional dialects of certain areas, people are a lot more similar than different when you classify them by socioeconomic class and education levels. The Northeast tends to get a bad rep for rude, stuck-up people, but that tends to coincide with wealth and high educational attainment; in which some of the wealthiest and highest educated Americans are densely clustered along the NE coast of the U.S. There are parts of Cincinnati's east side that are considered snooty that would fit in well in the DC area, just as I found the Chautauqua-Allegheny region of New York bearing strong similarities to Northern Alabama.

Last edited by 13th Alphabet; 08-05-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Ever read The Great Gatsby? The difference absolutely still exists. "No cultural meaning whatsoever" -- you're quite wrong there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio