Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 06:22 PM

111 posts, read 539,420 times

Advertisements

Greetings Ohio!

I grew up in Ohio (mainly Worthington) but have lived in the West for most of my adult life (currently in Nevada). Every year I miss the Fall colors and seeing all those leaves! Yes, leaves change colors in the West also, but it's not the same.

I am a hobbyist photographer, and am planning to come back this Fall to shoot some Fall colors and do the pumpkin festival/apple cider/powdered doughnut things from my childhood. It's a tricky thing as far as the timing goes, because depending on the weather, I might be too early or too late for the best color. I tried this a couple years ago in South Carolina while visiting my sister there, and I was too early.

I am tentatively shooting for the 20th through the 30th of October. Does that sound about right? Or is that too early/late? Also, if you have any favorite areas feel free to make suggestions. I am planning on visiting Hocking Hills for sure, and will be checking out web sites for other areas. I'm looking for forests mainly.

I will be flying out of Nevada and into Columbus, and then will either be doing a rental car/hotels or renting a small RV. Anybody have any experience with rental RV's? I haven't done that yet.

Anyway, thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G. View Post
Greetings Ohio!

I grew up in Ohio (mainly Worthington) but have lived in the West for most of my adult life (currently in Nevada). Every year I miss the Fall colors and seeing all those leaves! Yes, leaves change colors in the West also, but it's not the same.

I am a hobbyist photographer, and am planning to come back this Fall to shoot some Fall colors and do the pumpkin festival/apple cider/powdered doughnut things from my childhood. It's a tricky thing as far as the timing goes, because depending on the weather, I might be too early or too late for the best color. I tried this a couple years ago in South Carolina while visiting my sister there, and I was too early.

I am tentatively shooting for the 20th through the 30th of October. Does that sound about right? Or is that too early/late? Also, if you have any favorite areas feel free to make suggestions. I am planning on visiting Hocking Hills for sure, and will be checking out web sites for other areas. I'm looking for forests mainly.

I will be flying out of Nevada and into Columbus, and then will either be doing a rental car/hotels or renting a small RV. Anybody have any experience with rental RV's? I haven't done that yet.

Anyway, thanks for any tips!
It's literally hit or miss with the date. As you said, so much depends on the weather. Some years the color peaks around the 20th, while other years...such as last year...the color barely made a show at all, and didn't really come out until the last few days of the month. It also depends on what part of the state you're visiting. Northern Ohio may see color by the 10th or so, while southern Ohio doesn't see anything until the 20th. As a general rule, I'd say a visit around the 22nd - 27th would be a safe bet.

As for good leaf peeping sites, obviously Hocking Hills is going to be good. But you'd also be surprised at what you can find in ALL the hilly areas of southern Ohio....spanning from Cincinnati in the west, all the way east across the area. Hueston Woods is a good place to grab some shots. So is Clifton Gorge in John Bryan State Park, Shawnee State Park (nicknamed the "Little Smokies of Ohio" because they resemble that national park) and Scioto Trail State Park. Those are all heavily forested state parks. The Little Miami River valley would be good, too. You could also take a general drive through Wayne National Forest, or follow US 52 along the Ohio River.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,663,162 times
Yes, you can never count on the weather cooperating. Good luck to you.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think since it's such a hit-or-miss thing depending on the weather leading up to Fall, I'll have a "plan B" in place with things to do and see in case it turns out to be a bad year for Fall color.

It looks like most of the forests and parks mentioned so far are in Southern Ohio. Anything in Northern Ohio that stands out for anyone? Along with hiking and photography, I'll probably check out some festivals and museums. So far I'm considering the Renaissance Festival, the Circleville Pumpkin festival, the Fall Foliage train rides in Nelsonville, and maybe the Franklin Park Conservatory and Wright Patterson Museum.

If there are any Ohio activities you consider "must see" for that time of year, don't be shy...I'm all ears.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,534 times
Hmmm. As far as festivals, the only other one I can think of would be the Preble County Pork Festival, but that's in September.

Keep in mind, the Renaissance Festival (which, BTW, is my favorite) only runs on weekends from Sept. 5th until October 25th.

The southern parts of Ohio are where you'll find your more scenic vistas for fall foliage, but there are some other places in the state you might find interesting:

• Tawawa Park in Sidney. Very nice park for such a small city. It has a covered bridge, several streams, and great opportunities for fall color.

• Mohican State Park to the southeast of Mansfield. Nice vistas there, and pretty fall foliage.

• Salt Fork State Park, northeast of Cambridge

• Cuyahoga Valley National Park between Cleveland and Akron

Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks Aquila!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,949 times
If I was going to 'do the leaves'... I would simply listen to a Television Station 'back East' and see what the Weather Man/Woman has to say about the leaves...

A lot of Weather people keep a close eyes on the turning of the leaves, so that thier viewers would have the best vantage points...and some will even tell you 'where to go' for the best viewing, up and down the mountains, the highway and bi-ways, and which States are in full bloom and which are being delayed.

Get on Sattelite TV and wacth Ether Georgia, or Chicago or New York and you will see when and where the leaves are starting and stopping. The North starts first, as it gets colder, then it slowly makes it way down to the South. It seems like the first frost, is what starts the color changes, not the Sun or other conditions, what I have been seeing all these years viewing leaves.

I love going out to Tappan lake, in Harrison Country Ohio, and going across the lake and looking at all the wonderful leaves there... Plus, if you have any wooded area around, just taking a walk in the quiet solitude, gliding along the leaves and hearing them rustle beneath your feet is a pure treasure!

Have a Great Day!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well..

Jesse

Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,636,009 times
Definatly check out Southern Ohio.

From Cincinnati/Dayton for some urban shots, then head over to SE Ohio around Athens and Hocking Hills.

Hocking Hills Region of Ohio - hockinghills.com - "HOCKING HILLS INTERNET GUIDE"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio