Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 PM

38 posts, read 347,175 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been hoping to find info on the Youngstown area from folks who know it from living or working in the area.

Currently live in Stark County, Ohio; but I am thinking of going back to college and am looking at Youngstown University for several reasons.

With the high cost of gasoline, I did not relish the thought of driving too far in to any college or university. YSU has the lowest tuition costs for any campus of OSU system.

I also thought about going to Columbus, but- I like a smaller campus and a smaller city.

If anyone has some personal experience with Youngstown University and the city, I'd like to hear from you.

I already saw some info on the pros and cons of Youngstown for someone looking into starting a theatre company there. Personally, I'd love a theatre company; it's a great idea.

Maybe Youngstown could use a huge influx of artist types to enliven the space. I don't know the city- Help?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 14,393 times
Default wonderful opportunity

Has anyone suggested Alliance or Sebring ?? There's a self help housing organization in East Alliance that has a great opportunity in home ownership. Sebring is in Mahoning Co. and somewhat close to Youngstown. Research it a bit and let me know what cha think.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:47 AM

976 posts, read 3,861,253 times
Alliance and Sebring are very nice cities. I think they are in the perfect locations. About 30 mins from Youngstown and Canton. About 45 mins from Akron and 2 hours from Cleveland depending on traffic. I would really look into those places.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:41 PM

Question YSU, Youngstown, & Mahoning Valley

Hi, Thanks for the previous replies.

Does anyone have personal knowledge of YSU? What about the city of Youngstown?

From reading Y's paper, the Vindicator and the forums on it, there seems to be deep division on whether the city is beyond repair, or will just take ages to recover from the loss of jobs.

Any YSU alumni or current students reading this, I would love to hear about your YSU experience.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:49 AM

The city of Youngtown is really coming back. I had my doubts just two years ago. But since then the city's population has grown from 77.000 to 83,000. I had to read that article several times. I couldnt believe Youngstown actually grew. I looked up several more sources and it actually did grow in population. YSU is a great campus. Many plans have went underway to connect the university with the downtown. Building new office buildings and a park or two. The Chevorlet Centre was just finished last year. Housing the Youngstown Phantoms (a hockey team) and soon arena football has chose the city for its next new location. I know there are many new businesses opening up in the suburbs. There was a new business in Niles that just created over 200 jobs. There are many renovations and new buildings getting built in the downtown area. The Federal Plaza was just finished and many new housing developments are being built around the city.

Youngstown has had a very difficult past, but things are really looking up for the city and many many plans are underway to make that city a better place to live. And when i was recently there i was amazed by the development and the change in that city.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM

Thanks paintballer, I appreciate the info.

I think a drive into the city and surrounding area will help me to get a fresh perspective.

I am wary of the crime statistics and also some areas nearby seem to get flooded quite often after heavy rain. I couldn't get used to that mess, what with driving in rain flooded areas and also having rain in the yard or basement.

I am originally from South Jersey (New Jersey); only in Stark County for 2 years.

Thanks to you and anyone else with info!

Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM

Well im originally from PA, lived in Ohio for 2 years also and i love it here. I think thats a great idea to take a trip throughout the city and get a better visual of it. I know Columbiana, Canfield, Poland and a attractive city for younger people is Boardman. These are all suburbs of Youngstown so you wont be too far away. Boardman is only 15 minutes from Youngstown down the freeway depending on traffic. I wouldnt say that Canton and Youngstown are the best places in Ohio to live. But Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, Cincinnati and Dayton are all great cities. But Youngstown will suprise you. When you head over there check out Columbiana, Canfield, Poland, Boardman, Niles and Struthers. Good Luck.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,729 times
I have lived 50 years in youngstown, OHio. Attended YSU and now my daughter has just completed her first year. Youngstown is a nice area it is actually one of the cheapest place to live if you are considering in purchasing a home.
But my time now has come where my children are now growing up and I am looking forward in about 3 years to move to Asheville, SC. Yes, I am ready to retire. If you need a relocation package sent to you free of charge e-mail me and I will be happy to send you a relocation package of our town.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the offer of a relocation package. I appreciate that, but would like to have a personal viewpoint, not the marketing pr put out by the local govt. In the past, after having recd relocation pkgs from towns, and then visiting them, I was disheartened to see the glossy images really did not exist. It was generous of you to offer, thanks.

Your exp at YSU, was it a good one? How is the YSU campus for safety, etc.? I would be a non-traditional student, (over 30), does YSU accomodate this or is it only interested in the younger student? Since both you and your daughter attended I thought you might have a good perspective on the all around feeling of YSU.

I have tried to post this reply twice, but found it must have been too long, and was missing when I tried to preview and post- sorry I could not answer before this, I was giving up on the forum and tried this one more time.

Any ideas on the crime/safety issue for Y in general? There are a lot of job layoffs in the area and housing must be affected. I read the discussions on the Vindicator, however, there is a lot of negativity there and I'm searching for unvarnished truth from people like yourself who has lived in Y and knows the area well.

Thanks in advance for all the help and answers.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:17 AM

^Dont give up on the forum. There is always someone willing to help you out. Like i said try some of the suburbs of Youngstown. Esp Boardman, which is right down I-680 to downtown Youngstown where YSU is located. Lots of entertainment and some nice housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio