Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 26,295 times

Advertisements

I'm considering enrolling my children in Canfield schools. Does anyone know anything about this district?

Thank you in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Bunch of damn snobs.

Okay, okay seriously now. My sister has two kids there. I live in a bordering district, and grew up in another bordering district. Canfield has good schools.
They are rated excellent by the State's 28 point system. It's safe and has very little trouble. They like to keep up with the Jones' so you might see more tax levies.
Are you from the area or just moving in?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 PM

I am going to be attending YSU in the near future and would like to live closer to the university.

Canfield is about as close as I would like to be to Youngstown. I'm not one for keeping up with the Jones', but I really like how Canfield looks.

We currently homeschool, so this will be an adjustment for the children. It's really hard trying to decide where to live. My top priority is the school district and then the time spent on the road driving to YSU.

I was considering Crestview school district and living in Columbiana. My drive to YSU would be longer though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Oh, I forgot to add that we live south of Lisbon.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 PM

I personally think you get more bang for the buck at South Range. There are 1348 kids in the entire school district. Crestview would be a very comparable district.

You have the nice square in the center of Canfield, and a few blocks of historical district. Then you have one huge housing development surrounding the rest of Canfield. They are a good school, but they are much larger than we are. I don't believe the kids get as much attention as they deserve. They have 3021 kids

I think nine out of ten people would tell you that South Range is the most sought after district in this part of Ohio. People are lined up for jobs at the school just so they can bring their kids here.
We have a large Mennonite population that sends their kids here after homeschooling the early years.

Are you looking to buy, or rent?

Last edited by South Range Family; 05-28-2007 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: found data on enrollment numbers

Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I personally think you get more bang for the buck at South Range. There are 1348 kids in the entire school district. Crestview would be a very comparable district.

You have the nice square in the center of Canfield, and a few blocks of historical district. Then you have one huge housing development surrounding the rest of Canfield. They are a good school, but they are much larger than we are. I don't believe the kids get as much attention as they deserve. They have 3021 kids

I think nine out of ten people would tell you that South Range is the most sought after district in this part of Ohio. People are lined up for jobs at the school just so they can bring their kids here.
We have a large Mennonite population that sends their kids here after homeschooling the early years.

Are you looking to buy, or rent?

Could you tell me what towns are in the South Range district? I will look up the schools to see where they are located. I need to see how far from YSU we would live.

Right now I'm going to rent so I can concentrate on the children and studying. I'm looking at a four year plan.

I did notice that Canfield looked like one big housing development. I've driven around a lot lately and couldn't find "the bad section of town." I liked the location with Route 11 right there. I'm trying to keep travel time to a minimum and I don't want to be far from the children's schools. I really prefer smaller schools, so I would be willing to drive a bit more.

I will check the map to see the other options as soon as I find out more about South Range district.

This is the kind of information I need. Thank you so much for posting.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 AM

You can drive around Canfield all day. There is no bad side of town. That simply is NOT tolerated in this area. The South Range school district borders the South side of Canfield and goes all the way down to Columbiana. It consists of Green and Beaver Townships. There is a route 11 exit at 46 in Beaver. Green is still rural. Beaver is starting to ruin it for us by allowing a lot of housing developments to be built. It wasn't too long ago that we had less than a thousand kids k-12.

Western Reserve borders Canfield to the West. Their scores are just as high as ours. They have less than 800 kids in their school k-12. It would be closer to YSU if you picked the Eastern side of Ellsworth. If I was starting over again, I would now pick Western Reserve. I'm biased though, I grew up there.

One thing to remember. All of the schools in this area are good. Some are just a little better than others. Even Jackson-Milton, with all of its financial trouble isn't a bad school. The only real bad schools to stay away from are Youngstown city schools. Austintown and Boardman are way too big, but they aren't terrible schools. I just wouldn't send my kids to them because of the size.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Thank you for giving me some things to consider. I will continue to research the different school districts.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,035 times
Canfield is your best bet around here, and most of NE Ohio.

It was ranked #1 out of all of the schools in the tri-county area.

The sports program is excellent as well.. There's always multiple sports/teams going to state competition every year. Baseball state champions last year and football state runner-ups two years ago.

The Musical Arts/Drama departments are top notch, along with the facilities. It is a great looking school in a near perfect town. The police department is very strict and it's without a doubt one of the safest communities aorund.

In my opinion Canfield is a much better bet than S. Range, and Poland is definately worth a look too, very similar to Canfield and a bit closer to Youngstown.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 PM

8 posts, read 26,117 times
does anyone know what kind of offense and defense canfield football team uses? can homeschooled kids participate in high school athletics? I am relocationg from pa, where homeschoolers can participate. does anyone know of the homeschool rules in ohio, and more specifically how homeschooling works in canfield's school district. like woodsy i am relocationg and am considering canfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio