Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,000 times

Advertisements

My husband secured a job in OK City and is now living with his sister. I will join him once the house is sold here. He got there last Saturday and had 2 job offers by Tuesday...We're shocked beyond belief!...The job market in CA. is horrible and we were stressing..

I had my heart set on Edmond, but after reviewing homes that had the property taxes shown, I think it might be better for us to look somewhere else. I was told that taxes are higher in Edmond, but didn't know just how much...I don't want to pay over $3,000 a year!!

I'll be flying back to look for a home once the house sells. Is there an area that's closer to Edmond, but has lower taxes?? We're late '50's and hope retire someday and want to keep our costs down.

My husband went out this weekend and looked in Mustang and Yukon and found some homes he liked...I'm sure the garage won him over, but Mama needs to see the kitchen... I don't want to live too far out away from shopping.

Oh, and I'm scared about moving away from here and starting over. Is this a normal feeling? I've been so stressed it's affected my sleep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I didn't realize that was high for property taxes. We moved here from Texas and ours are so much less than we paid there, it's like they're free. Our house here is valued about 100,000 more than our house there but our taxes are about $4,500 less than we paid there. Keep in mind that although there is a state income tax in OK, I don't think its anything like you pay in CA.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
I don't know what Taxes are in Edmond but I cant imagine it would be much higher then it is in Tulsa where I live. I pay 1,200 a year and my house is valued around 120,000.

And let me the the first to say "Welcome to Oklahoma" and yes it is normal to be scared, but IMO Okies are very nice folks and they will welcome you with open arms. In just a few years you will be saying Ya'll instead of you all....LOL

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Yes, I'm guessing that statewide, within in the cities, they are all relatively close to the same thing.

okie1962 is right. Being scared is normal. When we moved here, we didn't know a soul, but the people here are very warm and welcoming.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Debzkidz----I pay $1,700 a year here in CA. and remember the days if was $600...So, I was shocked to see such high taxes for homes I could pay cash for. I've heard too that Texas has high taxes, just didn't know Oklahaoma was higher too.

Okie1962---Your taxes sound right around 1% of the purchace price of the home. That's what I was expecting to pay; a $225,000 home with taxes around $2,250 a year....And, I was raised by ARKIES so I already know the word, Y'all...LOL And, looking forward to eating my weight in fried okra...

I wanted Edmond dangit....I need stores, stores, stores and more stores...

Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Debzkidz----I pay $1,700 a year here in CA. and remember the days if was $600...So, I was shocked to see such high taxes for homes I could pay cash for. I've heard too that Texas has high taxes, just didn't know Oklahaoma was higher too.

Okie1962---Your taxes sound right around 1% of the purchace price of the home. That's what I was expecting to pay; a $225,000 home with taxes around $2,250 a year....And, I was raised by ARKIES so I already know the word, Y'all...LOL And, looking forward to eating my weight in fried okra...

I wanted Edmond dangit....I need stores, stores, stores and more stores...
That's about what we pay in Edmond!
I suggest you contact a good realtor in Edmond and talk to them. They might be able to answer your tax questions.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:05 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
If you still want Edmond but want lower property tax you might look at North Edmond in Logan county. I live 2.5 miles into Logan county but still have an Edmond address and it really isn't "that" far of a drive to Edmond. There are some nice new homes going in in NW Edmond/SW Logan county as well, most with larger than normal plots of land. Just something else to check out....if you don't mind a little country (though Edmond is grow so fast don't know how much country will be left in a few years) and a "short" drive to "town".

Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
I recently (June 2010) sold a house in Edmond. Well, actually it was in the Edmond school district and it had an Edmond mailing address but it was physically located in Oklahoma City. It was a 2378 sq ft 3/2 ranch with a 3 car garage. The county had it appraised at $220,553 and we sold it for $213,000. Taxes were $2,939.

You can find tax information and selling prices for any home in Oklahoma County here: Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Home Page
click on "Search Records" and then "Live Property Records"

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM

533 posts, read 1,710,878 times
Tax estimator from Oklahoma County Assessor: Oklahoma County Assessor Tax Calculator

Old 08-31-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone...I guess I might have to look in Mustang or Yukon to get my taxes lower...I've had people warn me about the traffic in Edmond, but after living in So.Cal all my life I can't imagine any traffic in OK matching what we have out here...

Thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City