Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 01:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezajavan View Post
wow!!! what judeC discribed was much more disappoanting and darker than Milton's description of Hell in Paradise Lost!!! Are you guys sure that you're talking about the same place? I'm really confused. My decision to move to your area will definitely affect my LIFE. Please be realistic and help me.
Ignore JudeC .... he/she is FAR from being realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM

24 posts, read 37,478 times
Reza,

You will want to own a car, we are not an industrial area, so there aren't any metro lines or plentiful taxi's. OKC is the 8th largest city in the US in Area, with OKC itself at about 550 SQ Miles, and with the surrounding suburbs, about 750 Sq Miles. So driving is a necessity, not an option.

The winters are nothing like Jude described. I had a motorcycle and could reasonably ride 10 months out of the year...comfortably. So the winters, while cold, are not heinous.

As for work, with a PhD in English Lit, I believe you can work as an English Prof at UCO, OCU, MACU, OSU/OKC, and OCCC. You would probably have to be an associate Prof at OU before moving into a permanent Prof position.

Night life is starting to make a big showing in our Brick Town area in Downtown OKC. Lots of clubs, lots of restaurants and a river walk as well.

Norman is a great town, my wife and I have considered relocating there, although I have been in Cleveland County, Oklahoma County, Lincoln County and Grayson County in Texas. So I have lived all over.

The Emergency services here are as follows: State owned police and fire, with Private Ambulance service. EMSA or Emergency Medical Service Association is a very large organization that provides Oklahoma County with their EMS duties. In Norman, EMStat, owned by Norman Regional Hospital. In Moore, Midwest City EMS, owned by Midwest City Regional Hospital, Edmond is EMSA, and I believe Mustang and Yukon is EMSA too.

Cost of living is like this. I am about to move to Chicago...with a 100 K job here, I could live like a King, but with the same pay in Chicago, I can only expect about cost of living to a 60K job there.

There is a reason that Kevin Durant ( of the OKC Thunder NBA team ) and Bob Stoops ( Of OU Football ) are staying here instead of going somewhere else, they can live MUCH better in Oklahoma than any other state has to offer, outside of Montana or one of the Dakota's.

So I hope I might have answered some of your questions.

Oh and BTW, we celebrate New Years with Bricktown Live event ( The entire District has a countdown and party for all ), 4th of July we have numerous displays around...and last but not least, one of my students ( when I taught for FAA Academy ) said this about Oklahoma City. "Nowhere in the US can you find a gas station, a restaurant, a church and a bar on any given intersection like you can here in Oklahoma City."

Be blessed in your search

Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,106 times
Dear OnYrMrK
Thanx for your reply. Seems you are a professor. Can you provide me with some information about University of Oklahoma? What I exactly want is the ranking of this university among other universities in the US. I've already checked some websites about rankings and things alike, but I'd like to know your idea as well?
thanks for your help

Old 11-29-2010, 07:44 AM

24 posts, read 37,478 times
Reza, I am not a professor. I am a Technical Trainer specializing in Linux and Network Technologies. As for the University of Oklahoma, I believe you can find more information at OU's website than getting information from me. BTW, the celebration down in Bricktown for New Years is called Opening Night..not Bricktown Live. My mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City