Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM

149 posts, read 474,148 times

Advertisements

thanks for the video soonerfan! looks exciting to me, except for flooding...and extreme heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,511 times
Yeah, my Okie girlfriends have said how miserable it is right now. =( It's usually hot, but not like this, they say. Since moving to Utah, where it's dry, I can't do humid anymore. I'm skinny, & I still sweat when it's 60 & humid. lol Hubby had a business trip to Nashville a week & a 1/2 ago, & it was 100 & high humidity, & he said all he did was sweat when he stepped outside.

But, like one poster said, anyone, no matter where we live, we seem to want winter & snow to end, then, summer, it's too hot, & we want fall, & the cycle starts over again. I remember my Okie friends talking about the big snowstorm this past winter. I was like, 2 feet, no biggie. We routinely get 2 feet, & have never had a school snow day. lol We have lots more plows & salt though, I'd guess.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM

we live on a mountain pass in So Cal, and whenever it snows, big rigs and cars spin out, so they close the hwy...then other states have cars moving in big snowstorms..it's different everywhere.....my son in law is from Florida, and he said you sweat constantly, and that he could never do humidity again, where others love it...am so sick of the boring weather in California, but gotta weigh the good with the bad I guess....just wish we had the funds to live there for a while and see for myself if we could take it or not...it's very hard to make a decision from so far away...

Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
This summer is unusual. I preferred this dryer, windier June as to our normally, sticky, icky, humid Junes. July! OY-VAY. Hot. Just triple digits every day. I've tolerated this summer better than most summers in OK. Don't know why, but still, it's miserable unless you're a lizard. I hate OK in the summer; always have and probably always will hate it. I lived most of my life without AC in the house or car, so I might have developed my dislike of hot, icky, sticky, weather because of that.

My June electric bill was 80 bucks. Ran one window unit in a 1921 sandstone house and it keep me and my elderly mom cool. Had to put in an additional window unit a couple of weeks ago.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 AM

was thinking that window units and darkened rooms might work better than forced air cooling? in this heat you might need both....I grew up in So Cal with no air conditioning in our home or cars,(early 60's) and can't imagine going without in this type of heat...is there ever a worry about a massive power outage happening during this?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:57 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
was thinking that window units and darkened rooms might work better than forced air cooling? in this heat you might need both....I grew up in So Cal with no air conditioning in our home or cars,(early 60's) and can't imagine going without in this type of heat...is there ever a worry about a massive power outage happening during this?
I grew up in So. Cal too and never had air in the house until I was in Jr. High. We moved to OKC last Nov. and we got to experience the "freak blizzard" "massive tornado that went right by my house" "and now record heat"....At least with this heat, it's prevented the blasted winds from blowing...I knew the wind blew here, just didn't know it was all the time.

Truth is, there's good and bad anywhere you live. If you're a conservative, Christian, who loves fried Okra and Sweet Tea, you'll love it here...But I am looking forward to fall, pumpkins and the smell of Yankee Candles buring in the house...The heat is getting to me...

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM

oh I bet the heat has everyone worn down...if it only cooled down overnight you could recover somewhat, but from what I see on the weather reports, there's no end in sight....did you move to OK for job reasons or for a change? I envy you getting to be in the blizzard and tornado, as I love extreme weather! but the heat is beyond scary...where in So Cal are you from? I grew up in Arcadia..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Yes, this is unusual here. It reminds me a bit more of Phoenix weather (prior to the monsoon season) with a slightly more humidity and slightly less radiant heat.

I have never seen a June in Oklahoma that was like August before. July normally starts like June and ends like August. This year it looks like we are going to have 3+ months of August.

I remember in 2002 when it only got above 90 degrees about 3 days all summer. And I remember in 2007 where it rained every day all spring, all June and about half of July.

So as has been stated..........there really isn't a "normal". However this year is going to be the hottest since 1980 and even that year it didn't get hot until July.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
Yes! June was like August, or even September. I'm the big lover of winter and don't like our summers, but actually rather enjoyed this past June. Yes, it was hot, but there was a breeze every night. Someone asked me about 'Indian Summer', and said an old lady had told him it was like Indian Summer.

Travis Meyers said the long term forecast looks like above average temps well into October. Sigh.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 AM

18 posts, read 213,493 times
Above average temps well into October?! I had not heard this. I could cry.

Quote:
I am looking forward to fall, pumpkins and the smell of Yankee Candles buring in the house...The heat is getting to me...
Same here. I swear I could smell a Pumpkin Spice candle as I read that. ::sobs::

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City