Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 9,502 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to OK from San Diego, and will be out there next week to find a place to live. My job is in Midwest City, though I am pretty sure I don't want to live there. My biggest concern is crime. Obviously living in California, or any other state for that matter, crime is a part of life. My main concern is that I feel like every apartment review I read lists break-ins as an all too common problem in OKC and its surrounding areas. I have been looking at the Village, Hefner Lake, and Edmond areas specifically, and while these areas were recommended, and appear to be "safe" according to crime maps, literally every review I find talks about constant break-ins. I also realize that often times people leave ratings and reviews who have been subjected to bad experiences, but I am getting concerned that it really is a "block by block" difference in safety, and I want to be sure not to end up in an unsafe block, or wind up with a bad property manager. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to keep my rent below $800 and again, I have been looking at the Village, Hefner Lake, and Edmond areas, for either homes, duplexes, or apartments. Specific parts of town would be nice to know before I get out there, and I'd even consider Midwest City if crime isn't a problem, especially as rent tends to be lower. I'd even take recommendations on property management companies or Realtors who deal in rentals. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

And since I know someone will ask, I am leaving San Diego because my girlfriend just started vet school up in Stillwater and moving to OK makes things easier on our relationship, but the job market seemed a bit too small in Stillwater (plus I ended up getting a job in Midwest City).

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I have no idea what rents run in Edmond, but while there are a few sketchy apartment complexes in town, on a whole I think most of them would be pretty safe. You might have some problems in some near UCO since most are more or less student housing. Overall, Edmond is a pretty low crime, more or less upscale community. What complexes are you looking at anyway?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:40 PM

I looked at Pebble Terrace, Legacy Woods, and some others, though I don't recall the names as I crossed them off my list. I am leaning more toward renting a house, and just want to make sure I end up a relatively safe, crime free neighborhood, in a property run by a respected management company, or individual owner.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Sterling Property Management (http://www.sterlingproperty1.com/listings/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=324 - broken link)

Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDreaming View Post
I looked at Pebble Terrace, Legacy Woods, and some others, though I don't recall the names as I crossed them off my list. I am leaning more toward renting a house, and just want to make sure I end up a relatively safe, crime free neighborhood, in a property run by a respected management company, or individual owner.
I had never heard of Pebble Terrace, so I looked it up. It's in a very nice area of town. I didn't even realize there was any apartments in the area, as it's an area of single family homes. I have been in Legacy Woods, in one of their model apartments a few years ago. They seem to be nice apartments. It's a gated complex, with nice pool area and such, located in a commercial area, near restaurants and shopping. It's going to be a mix college students, as its close to UCO, and young professionals.

Your commute time to work, as well as Stillwater would be much easier from Legacy Woods, as they are located only about a mile off I-35 on a large 6 lane road. Traffic moves along very well on 2nd Street/Edmond Rd (The street name changes as it crosses town). Pebble Terrace will probably take you an extra 15-20 minutes especially in the afternoon and evening once you get off I-35. Traffic on Danforth can get really bad. Its only a 4 lane road that is a main access road for many large residential areas, as well as a large high school, junior high and several large shopping areas, not to mention the train tracks that cross it and often bring traffic to a standstill. Just something to think about.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the traffic tips, that is great to know!

And thanks for posting the link to the management company.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM

242 posts, read 765,251 times
If you are wanting a newer apartment complex, the Lincoln Apartments on 50th and Lincoln might be worth looking at- very secure, lots of amenities, but also really close to 235, 44, and 35, which will get you quickly on the road to Midwest City or Stillwater.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
Oklahoma City in general is quite a bit safer than California (crime-wise). That being said, it's also relatively inexpensive, and people looking to put down roots are going to have a much easier time to buy, and hence fewer apartment renters versus homeowners compared to Cali. You should find something extremely safe with your budget. Actually, you can knock it down a few hundred and still find something safe / clean / etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM

46 posts, read 178,737 times
Crime Tracker - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks for all of the tips! I have been out exploring all week, and while I found some good places up in the Village and outlying Nichols Hills, I think I have settled on Gatewood. It is a bit grittier than the other neighborhoods, but I like the up and coming nature of it. I figure I'll rent there and try it out, and then if I like, buy in the future. Any thoughts from you all about Gatewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City