Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM

351 posts, read 666,720 times

Advertisements

I'm here in Phoenix AZ and want to get out of this hell hole and I'm retired and I'm thinking about OKC or Wichita so I can afford a house. Wichita seems to have a greener landscape which I like. They have basements which I think is great, less people, nice parks and I think I can get more for my money. I have a couple of cousins in OKC but they’re not that close. I have no immediate family and no friends. So I just want to live an easy life and try to make new friends. I've been to both places but I don't know where to buy for $135K. I've looked all over the US but these 2 places caught my eye.
[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I'm here in Phoenix AZ and want to get out of this hell hole and I'm retired and I'm thinking about OKC or Wichita so I can afford a house. Wichita seems to have a greener landscape which I like. They have basements which I think is great, less people, nice parks and I think I can get more for my money. I have a couple of cousins in OKC but they’re not that close. I have no immediate family and no friends. So I just want to live an easy life and try to make new friends. I've been to both places but I don't know where to buy for $135K. I've looked all over the US but these 2 places caught my eye.
[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]
I've lived in both places, although, much longer in OKC, but, also enjoyed the 3 years in Wichita. Is it really greener in Wichita? I don't recall noticing a differenced. Winters are colder, but, I don't know about this year when Oklahoma didn't have a winter.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. OKC is about twice the size of Wichita, and very spread out, which I think makes it feel less populated than it really is. I don't have much experience with Wichita, but I can't imagine it being much more green than OKC. It's true most homes do not have basements here, although there are exceptions. I've never in my 50+ years lived in a place that had them so I don't really see the importance. If you want it for storm protection, if the house you buy doesn't have one, have a shelter installed in the garage floor. Not really very expensive and done in a day or 2. Plenty of houses have those. I'm not sure what you can get for your price range, but I'm sure you could find something. Real estate prices in OKC are very low compared to most of the country.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:25 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times
Wichita is straight north of OKC. Rainfall typically increases as you go west to east, not north or south. It may have been greener when you visited, but it could be the opposite this year. This is a part of the country that can have flooding rains virtually all spring or summer, or extreme droughts. A lot of days there is about a 5 degree difference between the two, but many times the temperatures are the exact same. Last year up here we had some days during last summers hotter than hell year, where we were hotter than OKC. Two years ago we had almost no snow during the winter, but OKC was hammered with a blizzard. So just remember, all weather stats are averages but may not mean a thing. As far as comparing the two cities, there really isn't a huge difference between the two. OKC is just a little bigger. It comes down to your preferences. You can find a nice house in either city for your price range.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM

17,777 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've lived in both places, although, much longer in OKC, but, also enjoyed the 3 years in Wichita. Is it really greener in Wichita? I don't recall noticing a differenced. Winters are colder, but, I don't know about this year when Oklahoma didn't have a winter.
OKC is a lot greener than Wichita if you include OKCs eastern suburbs. The downtown river part of Wichita is a lot greener than the downtown river part of OKC.

Wichita is colder and has a more consistent winter than OKC. However if it were my choice I think it would come down to how big a community I wanted to be in. OKC is about twice the size of Wichita and has the amenities that come with that size.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
OKC and Wichita are more similar than they are different, and it will ultimately come down to your personal preferences. As its been discussed, OKC is bigger and in the end will have more to do and see. Its also not as isolated IMO as Wichita. Should you get bored you can always go to Tulsa, Eastern OK mountains, DFW, the Gulf Coast, etc. On the flip side if you are retired and looking to take it easy, Wichita probably offers a less busy way of life while having enough to do to keep you entertained.

My only hangup with Wichita is the economy is getting hammered right now. Should you ever decide to go back to work (a lot of retired people do) it may be tough. Of course the tough economy may mean some pretty good deals for real estate. Based on square footage, your money will go a little farther in Wichita.

JMO, but basements are overrated. I lived in a house with a basement in GA when I was a kid and it was a nightmare. My parents were constantly having to seal it, and that didn't stop it us from having at least 2 catastrophic floods. The mildew was also terrible. They are really not necessary in tornado prone areas; a bathtub or closet in the center of the house with lots of blankets will do. You may not have so many issues with daylight basements, which is pretty common in Wichita.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:53 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
I'm originally from Wichita, moved to OKC 20 years ago. Wouldn't go back to ICT for anything. It's ugly, it's dirty, it's hotter in summer and colder in winter. The first time I went back to visit family, I couldn't believe how ugly Kansas was compared to Oklahoma. Once you hit OKC coming south from KS, it's green, it's hilly, it's much prettier.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 PM

24 posts, read 43,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]
Stay in the Valley! It has a much higher quality of life if you care about your fellow citizens' open-mindedness, shopping choices, modernity, and even general safety (Look up crime stats per 100,000 for the two cities).

I moved to the Phoenix area from OKC with my family last summer after having been born and raised in Oklahoma; I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There might not be the same sense of community, yes it gets very hot here, and yes there is an element of extreme conservatism. However, it is not near as backwards as Oklahoma, and even in poorer areas there are higher quality services and you just don't run into as many ignorant people.

I can guess that the main reasons you're wanting to leave are the heat, politics, and how huge it is. I'm just saying before you leave, take a look around and just examine all the positive aspects of the Valley that you will be giving up. I really feel like the SoCal-Nev-AZ area is the most unique in the nation.

As an Oklahoma native, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you move to OKC.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
Stay in the Valley! It has a much higher quality of life if you care about your fellow citizens' open-mindedness, shopping choices, modernity, and even general safety (Look up crime stats per 100,000 for the two cities).

I moved to the Phoenix area from OKC with my family last summer after having been born and raised in Oklahoma; I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There might not be the same sense of community, yes it gets very hot here, and yes there is an element of extreme conservatism. However, it is not near as backwards as Oklahoma, and even in poorer areas there are higher quality services and you just don't run into as many ignorant people.

I can guess that the main reasons you're wanting to leave are the heat, politics, and how huge it is. I'm just saying before you leave, take a look around and just examine all the positive aspects of the Valley that you will be giving up. I really feel like the SoCal-Nev-AZ area is the most unique in the nation.

As an Oklahoma native, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you move to OKC.
>>>>>
However, it is not near as backwards as Oklahoma,
<<<<<

Obviously, Oklahoma became a little less backward once you left.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-10-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 43,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Obviously, Oklahoma became a little less backward once you left.

Thanks!

You stay classy. Glad to know it was just me holding the state back all along! LOL

I mean, I'm sure people with usernames like yours don't contribute to the image and actuality of the state being 10+ years behind almost everywhere else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City