Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,423 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are a young Canadian couple relocating from Banff National Park to Oklahoma City. We have done some research and know of the trendy areas in the city, we think. However what would be a good choice of neighborhood for a very active, young couple who would like culture but also safety? Thanks so much for any info you would like to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM

653 posts, read 1,785,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cndnfamily View Post
Hi there,
We are a young Canadian couple relocating from Banff National Park to Oklahoma City. We have done some research and know of the trendy areas in the city, we think. However what would be a good choice of neighborhood for a very active, young couple who would like culture but also safety? Thanks so much for any info you would like to share!
Welcome to OKC! But a big question, Why would you move from such an amazing place like Banff? I've spent alot of time in Canada; Thunder Bay area to be specific, and I've been to Banff and Jasper before as well and it's incredible! I would think this move is work related?

Anyway, concerning your question, the place right off the bat that you need to check out is The Paseo which is roughly between Classen and NW 23rd st. to around NW 36th and extends a few blocks past Western if I'm not mistaken. It is the trendy spot in Oklahoma City and has many fine bars and restaurants as also art galleries and such. As for safety, it's better than other areas of the city but still I wouldn't leave anything unlocked. Average rent for an apartment (1 bed, 1 bath) will likely run you around 450-600 or so per month on the average in the Paseo. The last time I looked, they're were not that many available, but it shouldn't be impossible to find something to your liking.

I'm sure others will chime in here with ideas. Oklahoma City is a far cry from your favourite places back home such as Edmonton or Calgary but we've made great advances so if there's any place you like to settle stateside where winter normally isn't an issue, OKC is it. The best of luck to you both!

BTW: If coffee is your thing, check out the Red Cup located at 31rst and Classen
Home They are located on the west side of the Paseo.

Also check out an Oklahoma Gazette which you can find readily around the metro OKGazette.com > Metro OKC's Arts & Entertainment Authority .. It is a weekly paper that keeps you abreast of all things cool or not in the metro.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Most of the trendy areas seem to be along the NW 23rd St corridor and along Western Ave south of 63rd. I would look towards the Paseo, Midtown, the Plaza, and Deep Deuce.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Welcome to OKC! But a big question, Why would you move from such an amazing place like Banff? I've spent alot of time in Canada; Thunder Bay area to be specific, and I've been to Banff and Jasper before as well and it's incredible! I would think this move is work related?

Anyway, concerning your question, the place right off the bat that you need to check out is The Paseo which is roughly between Classen and NW 23rd st. to around NW 36th and extends a few blocks past Western if I'm not mistaken. It is the trendy spot in Oklahoma City and has many fine bars and restaurants as also art galleries and such. As for safety, it's better than other areas of the city but still I wouldn't leave anything unlocked. Average rent for an apartment (1 bed, 1 bath) will likely run you around 450-600 or so per month on the average in the Paseo. The last time I looked, they're were not that many available, but it shouldn't be impossible to find something to your liking.

I'm sure others will chime in here with ideas. Oklahoma City is a far cry from your favourite places back home such as Edmonton or Calgary but we've made great advances so if there's any place you like to settle stateside where winter normally isn't an issue, OKC is it. The best of luck to you both!

BTW: If coffee is your thing, check out the Red Cup located at 31rst and Classen
Home They are located on the west side of the Paseo.

Also check out an Oklahoma Gazette which you can find readily around the metro OKGazette.com > Metro OKC's Arts & Entertainment Authority .. It is a weekly paper that keeps you abreast of all things cool or not in the metro.
Thanks so much for your input. My partner got a work transfer and we are sad to leave the amazing mountains but looking forward to the new adventure! From any research I have done the people in OKC seem to be super friendly and helpful so we are looking forward to coming! Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most of the trendy areas seem to be along the NW 23rd St corridor and along Western Ave south of 63rd. I would look towards the Paseo, Midtown, the Plaza, and Deep Deuce.
Thank you!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Believe me we don't the scenery that you are used to, but Oklahoma City is an exciting place to be right now. And the people are very warm and friendly. I have a feeling that the summer months could be a challenge for you guys though.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
The drive out of the Oklahoma City area on Highway 66 has some surprising green and kinda hilly scenery.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The drive out of the Oklahoma City area on Highway 66 has some surprising green and kinda hilly scenery.
In what direction? OKC is pretty much right on the dividing line between the Eastern forests and more semi-arid country. It's very forested east of the city but nearly treeless west of the city.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM

653 posts, read 1,785,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Believe me we don't the scenery that you are used to, but Oklahoma City is an exciting place to be right now. And the people are very warm and friendly. I have a feeling that the summer months could be a challenge for you guys though.

No jive there! If you can handle anywhere from 10 to 40 days + a year of 38C/100F temps. then you'll make it weatherwise.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM

242 posts, read 764,890 times
As others have said, you'll probably want to stay in the neighborhoods between downtown, I-235, 63rd Street, and I-44 for an active lifestyle with easy access to culture. The best parts of the area are between Classen and I-235. The rougher parts of this area tend to be between Reno and 15th Street west of Classen, where there is a lot of industrial property and some neighborhoods with many slumlord type residential properties. The rest of the area is fair to excellent in terms safety, reinvestment, etc. You're always within 10-15 minutes of several neighborhoods where you can find entertainment and culture any day- Plaza, Paseo, Uptown/Asian District, Midtown, Automobile Alley, Downtown, and Bricktown. There are also residential options within each of those more urban style mixed-use neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: