Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times

Advertisements

Howest, the OP has posted about a job offer in OKC, not Tulsa. Tulsa is a nice city but its irrelevant to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default True

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Howest, the OP has posted about a job offer in OKC, not Tulsa. Tulsa is a nice city but its irrelevant to this thread.
True but Oklahoma City always uses Tulsa to back up it's amenities and as a strong point in relocation
of major corporation and potential employee's , as a matter of fact Tulsa was used in selling the OKC
Thunder move from Seattle to Oklahoma City " it was supposed to be a State Regional Team " but I
do agree with you to a degree " however people that move here from the West Coast would be bored
to death just living in OKC.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM

242 posts, read 765,178 times
Sorry, Tulsa is nice and a fun place to go to concerts at Cain's or Brady, but if I had to answer which city "provides back up to OKC's amenities," I would definitely say Dallas/Fort Worth. It is less than 3 hours away, has two major American cities with top notch art, culture, music, and food.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
Sorry, Tulsa is nice and a fun place to go to concerts at Cain's or Brady, but if I had to answer which city "provides back up to OKC's amenities," I would definitely say Dallas/Fort Worth. It is less than 3 hours away, has two major American cities with top notch art, culture, music, and food.
We can shake each other hand and agree to disagree you can not make a turn around trip to Dallas Baja
Oklahoma and drive back to Oklahoma City Oklahoma in the same day " it's impossible " now on the other
hand you can drive to Tulsa Oklahoma and avail yourself to the 32nd World Ranked Entertainment Arena and the
26th Live Music Venue in the World Cain's Ballroom and get back to OKC all within one day.

Oh by the way Dallas is 200 Miles from OKC , but only 250 Miles from Tulsa so the people of Tulsa OK
have it better than the people of OKC because we have KANSAS CITY a mere 250 Miles away with the
Sprint Center America #3 Entertainment Arena Venue.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:31 PM

39 posts, read 80,116 times
Sounds like living in Nichols Hills (like right near Classen Curve) might be my best bet, but I can't seem to find too many apartment buildings around there...is it more just big houses?

Old 04-28-2013, 03:18 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgirl101 View Post
Sounds like living in Nichols Hills (like right near Classen Curve) might be my best bet, but I can't seem to find too many apartment buildings around there...is it more just big houses?
LOL Nichols Hills is about as Conservative as it gets. Hun, I don't know if you are trolling or you are getting trolled, but this is getting silly. The most progressive area in OKC is the Art and Asian district around 23rd street. It's also not the safest area to be in. This is a high crime area with a substantial amount of prostitution activity.

If you are militant liberal, you won't like it here. If you are tolerant to a conservsatism much stronger than anything you will find anywhere in CA, then you can blend in.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 19,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgirl101 View Post
Yes, I doubt you'll find many apartments in Nichols Hills. Most houses in this area are large single-family homes ranging from 500K-3M. If I were live in OKC I would probably either want to live in the Crown Heights/Mesta Park neighborhoods, The Paseo area, or the Downtown/Bricktown areas. In the Mesta Park/Crown Heights area you might find a guest house apartment behind a larger home. In the Paseo there are several smaller 1 to 2 bd houses, and apartments. In the Downtown and Bricktown areas there are several more urban feeling lofts and apartments.

To respond to your original posts and some of the comments you received, I think some people simply misunderstood what you said. As a 24 year old, liberal, gay male living in Norman, OK I can understand that OKC will probably not meet all of your expectations of what you want out of a city. It doesn't meet all of my wants or desires either which is why I will be looking for work out of state (probably Denver, or Seattle) after I get my graduate degree this May. I have visited most of the major cities in the U.S., I would describe Oklahoma City as not the worst city in the country but definitely not in the same league as many cities in terms of culture, progressiveness, or open minded people. I've lived in the OKC area all of my life and am ready to move on, but I do think there are some great people in Oklahoma, and won't mind coming back to visit. The only places I would live in Oklahoma are Norman, OKC, or Tulsa. You will find pockets of liberals in OKC, Norman, and Tulsa. We are here we're just the minority. I would say most people here are friendly, but Oklahoma as a state is very conservative and some people can be pretty close minded. I would say Oklahoma as a state is 20-40 years behind the East or West coasts, in terms of innovation,openness, and progressiveness. I will give OKC credit though, it's gotten much better in the past 10 years in terms of the events and attractions. Downtown and Bricktown have really developed in the past few years, but are still behind other cities in terms of offering an urban feel. The streets are pretty quiet during weekdays. I think part of it is that many people drive everywhere here since things are spread out. However, on the weekends things get busier, if you look hard enough you can usually find fun things to do on the weekends here. Feel free to PM me or reply if you have any other questions.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Why do you want to duplicate what you have somewhere else? you are in a different city with a totally different culture. viva la difference! First of all, move to a small town. The difference in rent will go for board for your horse (can't ride a horse in SF, can you?). If your car isn't a 4x4, sell it and get a pick up truck with 4x4. Spend sometime at rodeos, ropings and pow wows. Find yourself a dippin, chewin, spittin ol boy to teach you the difference between red dirt and two step. In 50 years you can tell your grandkids that you knew a cowboy once before you moved back to where everyone did the same thing every day and got to pay $6.00 for a cup of campfire coffee. Jesus girl, you are moving to the Indian nations and the home of the greatest cowboys on earth......not to mention a few of us ndns. Leave SF where it is, it'll be there when you get back, and meet Oklahoma on its own terms with its own culture. Move HERE......don't bring California with you.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Move HERE......don't bring California with you.
Best statement on this thread.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Nichols Hills is a very wealthy city. Home of CEO's and presidents of large corporations. It's mostly large estates, with smaller homes around much of the perimeter. Even these smaller homes are not really small, nor inexpensive. No real apartments in the area that I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City