Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,123 times

Advertisements

I am talking to a company now about relocating to Oklahoma from the East Coast. I am looking forward to it because I am NOT loving the way the men are out here and I really prefer more down to earth, nice guys who actually know what a haircut is supposed to be. ::grin::

BUT living anywhere - when you are single - is very much about finding folks you can spend time with happily. I have heard that folks marry young in Oklahoma and that many country music songs about relationships were inspired by the shenanigans of the married men out this way. (It must be the cowboy hats. A girl can barely resist a charming smile under a cowboy hat. Haha)

So I am over 30, single and exotic (not white or black) and wondering what my romantic future might hold for me if I head out that way. Anyone have any observations? Suggestions? Warnings? Funny stories? I am not actually asking for any "advice" as much as some insight into what to expect so I can set my life up out there with some realistic expectations.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,494 times
Wow, interesting that you mention this about guys. I may be moving out there too and am looking for a down to earth woman who isn't so materialistic. All I see in Atlanta are women who are focused on a man's career and what he drives. Sickening and I want out. I'm thinking Oklahoma City might be a better place for a genuine, honest, down to earth guy like myself. I sure hope so. Maybe I'll meet the future Mrs. Atlguy out there.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Women in Oklahoma are mainly worried about how tan they are. Then they spend hours putting makeup on their faces to try to cover up all the damage the sun did to their wrinkled skin. Absolutely the craziest thing I've ever seen. Other then that character flaw the women in Oklahoma are pretty down to earth.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Wow, these OK message boards are pathetic. Not referring to you stiffnecked, just in general. Can't get answers.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
I guess being pathetic is just our style. I don't bs folks. every one of us boys in Oklahoma have all the relationships we need or want. I'm over 60, so what my experience today is not what you would experience. What I experienced at YOUR age happened so long ago, it is irrelevant. But I have noted that whenever some old boy comes along griping about not hooking up or having friends, it generally turns out that he was in that shape in the last places he's lived as well. Guess the real problem is that everywhere he goes, he finds that he's right there, and that tends to turn people off.

Oklahoma has some really great people.......both male and female. I know a lot of cowboys and ndn's and a few city folk, and for the most part they are all pretty decent, mind their own business, non-judgmental, high integrity people. You do know that we have had more Miss America's than any other state? There's a reason for that.

But then that is all an opinion of a pathetic Okie...........

Old 08-23-2012, 05:51 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Sorry I can't help with your questions either. I'm a middle aged, married women, and I didn't live here when I was single. I'm sure there's plenty of nice single people out there, I just can't tell you where to find them.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
deb, obviously you are as pathetic as I am..............

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM

Goodpasture, do you really think I was calling you pathetic? I said its pathetic I can't get answers. I guess that spurred a response. Also, I'm not griping about anything. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land, since I'll be moving there. I'm pretty good at making friends. I was just curious about the dating scene, as I'm divorced and starting over.

I like that there's so many Miss America's from there. I didn't know that. Not that I could ever date one, ha, ha.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
deb, obviously you are as pathetic as I am..............
wouldn't be the first time I've been called pathetic.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Goodpasture, do you really think I was calling you pathetic? I said its pathetic I can't get answers. I guess that spurred a response. Also, I'm not griping about anything. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land, since I'll be moving there. I'm pretty good at making friends. I was just curious about the dating scene, as I'm divorced and starting over.

I like that there's so many Miss America's from there. I didn't know that. Not that I could ever date one, ha, ha.
Well I'm single, and there's lots of young singles here, some of us are just a bit busy right now

As far as the dating thing is concerned, is there lots of eye candy here? Absolutely. At least in my age group, ladies here definitely take care of themselves. We have our share of psychos and a lot of the ladies here can be really clingy, but for the most part girls in OKC are pretty well-grounded. Coming from Dallas, where the first thing girls ask is what kind of car you drive, it is a breath of fresh air.

The "scene" in OKC is small but surprisingly young and vibrant. Small, because this is a mid sized city in the middle of the country and people do tend to marry at an early age (I imagine this isn't too different from Atlanta), but young because this is an area with a pretty decent economy and lots of younger people have moved here from other parts of the region in the past few years.

With you being a little older (no offense) I think the best place to meet single ladies is to join some sort of club or group. OKC is pretty civic minded, at least among the professional class. Lots of people in the Chamber of Commerce, professional organizations, Rotary Club, Junior League, etc. What are some things that interest you? See if there's a group for that.

Also don't know how comfortable you are with an urban environment, but as a single stick to the city. Our suburban areas are great places to settle down and raise kids, but they are probably not as near as developed as suburban areas in larger cities like Atlanta, outside the occasional Chilis or TGI Fridays. No offense, those are fine places, but nobody is going to find a single guy/gal at the Applebees off Memorial Road. They are going to be hanging out in swanky bars and restaurants in downtown/midtown and Western Avenue.

I just saw the title of the thread and everything I said here is pretty true for finding single men as well.

Just an FYI, this board can get slow at times. If you want to know more nitty gritty details about OKC, try okctalk. I can't post a link but just google it. Hope this helps. Welcome to OKC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City