Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 6,626 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Oklahoma City and have found it a vibrant, beautiful city but ma wondering why a city it's size has no teams in any of the major-leagues like MLB, NBA. NFL, NHL??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
It will take a while for OKC. Right now, only the NBA plans to be making inroads here, as the Hornets experiment passed with flying colors. There's a chance for the city to land the Seattle Sonics. As for the other major sports leagues, there is no expansion on the horizon and nobody's really planning any moves that I know of. The potential is there, but it's a real long shot for Oklahoma City. The way it looks now, there are still some larger cities vying for franchises. Where OKC is concerned, they do have a good minor league baseball club and a fine downtown park to play in, and frankly, I'm pretty content with that right now.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,541 times
I'm the farthest thing from content myself. The NBA will be here in one way within 3 years. The facts are there, it's going to happen. As for other leagues, I'd doubt anytime in the near future. Although, if I had to say, the NHL would be the best bet. Forget about baseball and forget about NFL for a long time. Now the Sooners, I'm pretty satisfied there for football. Not to mention I'm a die hard Dallas Cowboys fan and a team here wouldn't even be my favorite.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:02 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohns View Post
I just moved to Oklahoma City and have found it a vibrant, beautiful city but ma wondering why a city it's size has no teams in any of the major-leagues like MLB, NBA. NFL, NHL??
Many cities the size of OKC do not have the major leagues. If you havent heard yet, OKC is about to get the Sonics which is a major league team in the National Basketball Association. The Supersonics headquarters are located in the Oklahoma tower in downtown and is owned by local leaders who desparately want a team in their hometown. Its near the two oldest tallest skyscrapers in Oklahoma. One of the buildings is a Art Deco masterpiece called The First National Building and is by far the most impressive structure in Oklahoma. OKC is a lucky city because a market the size of Dallas/Ft is only 3 hours away which usually hurts a city in its quest to get the Major Leagues. OKC is actually well ahead of the curve compared to other cities of its same size because of this reason. OKC is also in a permanent rotation with KCity and Dallas for the Big 12 tournaments which places it in another tier. You will be able to enjoy this exciting event again in 2008. It was a HUGE success because OKC has two arenas only 60 feet away from each other allowing the Men to function at The Ford Center and the Women to play at the cox arena at the same time. If you were to put both arenas together then it would equal 37,000 seats under one roof...Isnt that amazing. So it has a huge edge over many cities that are close by. OKC beautiful....No. But it is vibrant and has recieved a lot of national recognition for the last few years for massive massive development via public projects. The citizens are also lucky compared to many cities because they vote and pass taxes that increase the quality of life. In Oklahoma that is uncommon.

Welcome to OKC. Im sure you will slowly find many fantastic things to do because it really is an exciting time. I have read and heard many people talk about how OKC is going thru another 'golden age'. So its a great time to settle in and grow some roots!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:55 AM

689 posts, read 2,058,524 times
In the "olden days' we used to say there really is a pro football team in the area. It's called OU.

---------------

Now calm down. Gimme a break. I'm an OSU grad. We gotta have something to joke about.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,617 times
That'd be great if the Sonics transfer to OKC next year. I missed out when the Hornets were playing here.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
If T. Boone Pickens is still making loads of money in energy futures, then he might as will spend it on building a billion dollar mega enclosed football stadium and invite a pro football team to come on in.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaser58 View Post
That'd be great if the Sonics transfer to OKC next year. I missed out when the Hornets were playing here.
Ya- OKC at one point in time was being courted by both the Sonics and the Hornets...Just give us a NBA team already!!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 PM

45 posts, read 164,501 times
I know some people might argue this but im not sure OKC can sustain an NBA for more than 6 or 7 years. sure the initial attendance will be high but once that new team smell fades away it might be hard to get people in the ford center. OKC isnt exactly a happening place for a young black male ( majority of the nba) and although the people are nice i can't picture top players choosing to play in OKC over LA or Dallas. no top players means a lots of loses. loses mean lower attendance. and without a built in fan base, no team can succeed. i hope im wrong because i would to have the sonics here.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:51 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
I think there are enough sports nuts in OK to support an NBA team. OK is filled with sports nuts, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Also, I think the players on the Hornets liked living in OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City