Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
This is one of the worst ice storms we have ever had in this state. What makes it so bad is that it hit the most populated areas of our state. This is definitely not normal. The people of Tulsa and OKC will be OK.

If you look at our news, you see people working at cleaning everything up and doing the best they can and helping their neighbors, not crying for handouts or looting stores.
Now I know I made the right choice.

As soon as the ice storm hit the news I was deluged with phone calls from (well meaning?) friends and family reminding me of my foolish decision to move to OK. I'm so sorry for the problems all y'all (is that right computer guy?) are having, but I'm glad everyone here thinks OK is not the place to be. Hope things get back to normal for you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
I dont think I would say OK is NOT the place to be...Thats a bit hasty. Many states are having the same problems like Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
I dont think I would say OK is NOT the place to be...Thats a bit hasty. Many states are having the same problems like Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois.
Yea, but I'm not planning on moving to Missouri, Arkansas or Illinois. Family wants me to see the error of my ways and stay near New Jersey. No way!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:08 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
When you move here you just need to keep your emergency kit like we do. Flashlight, jugs of water, battery operated radio, duct tape, canned chili, etc.

Last year I gave all our grown kids emergency kits. My daughter who lost power was certainly happy for her supplies, mainly the flashlight. She also has the knowledge to be resourceful and stay safe during bad weather.

I am really proud of our state today. We are all organized, getting emergency supplies shipped in, and we have really good information on what is going on.

Cell phones really help at times like this. Of course, at times you should not chat on your cell phone so people with emergencies will be able to call.

Last edited by peggydavis; 12-12-2007 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
When you move here you just need to keep your emergency kit like we do. Flashlight, jugs of water, battery operated radio, duct tape, canned chili, etc.

Last year I gave all our grown kids emergency kits. My daughter who lost power was certainly happy for her supplies, mainly the flashlight. She also has the knowledge to be resourceful and stay safe during bad weather.

I am really proud of our state today. We are all organized, getting emergency supplies shipped in, and we have really good information on what is going on.

Cell phones really help at times like this. Of course, at times you should not chat on your cell phone so people with emergencies will be able to call.

That's a good idea, Peggy, thanks. When we lived in Arizona and Nevada we always had our "emergency desert" kit in the car. Lots of water for daytime and lots of blankets for night.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:05 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Now I know I made the right choice.

As soon as the ice storm hit the news I was deluged with phone calls from (well meaning?) friends and family reminding me of my foolish decision to move to OK. I'm so sorry for the problems all y'all (is that right computer guy?) are having, but I'm glad everyone here thinks OK is not the place to be. Hope things get back to normal for you soon.
I'm getting the same treatment from my family..Why is it, they think we're still 3 years old and need to be told what to do?? I was just recently told that if I moved to OK, I'd always want to move back to California...And just what would I be moving back to...ILLEGAL ALIENS? TRAFFIC? OVER PRICE HOMES? My mother still thinks OK has dirt roads and wooden store fronts..LOL

It's getting to where the more they offer their advise, the more I want to run...:>)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
LOL Hazel Eyes. Makes me wonder if my kids think that!

I'm sure they just don't want to lose you.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Not "losing" my kids is what started our search for a better place to live. All the young people that I'm related to, or are friends with, are still living at home! And I'm talking about 25-35 year olds. Nobody can afford to live on their own here. Rents for very small efficiency apartments start at around $900 (our area here is lower cost that the northern part of NJ), and add on student loans, outrageous car insurance, a credit card or two and nobody can move out of mom and dad's house. Now --- in all honestly a lot of that has to do with the style of life mom and dad have provided, too.

But we decided as much as we love our kids, we want them to have a life of their own, but at least not be strapped so they need to account for every penny. The opportunities and cost of living is what attracted us to OK. Meeting all of you online has convinced me this is where we want to be. I hope this move will keep my kids close to us when they do start their adult life, but I know they would never stay around us if we stayed in NJ.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:46 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,504 times
Quote:

Peggy, that's exactly what it is..I just wish they could be more encouraging to us...We might have to move due to unemployment, not because we want to run from them....Although, there are times that is the reason...

Old 12-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Peggy, that's exactly what it is..I just wish they could be more encouraging to us...We might have to move due to unemployment, not because we want to run from them....Although, there are times that is the reason...

Sometimes I think the reason people are negative is because they don't want to face the fact that you're doing the wise thing by searching out a better life. Maybe they feel they should be doing the same thing, but fear is holding them back. If you do it, and it works out for you then they have to examine exactly why it is they're staying where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City