Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 PM

634 posts, read 897,414 times

Advertisements

Regardless of whether I move to Oklahoma or elsewhere I will be getting a job, housing, and a vehicle, in that order. Even if that means taking taxis to/from work, I've done it before and work the expense into my relocation budget.

But just for ***** and grins, is the bus system doable at times? I checked their website and while it's not the best system around, it was decent.

Does anybody here ever ride the bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Bus system in OK City? What's that?

I think you'd have to pretty much live in the heart of the city to really get it to work. You might look into getting a nice bike or moped.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
The bus systems in OKC and Tulsa are not really reliable. I see busses that have broken down about once a week. I often see people waiting up to an hour to catch a single bus. That may change in both cities as OKC and Tulsa are going to have a light rail vs. rapid bus "playoff". Even these will be just a start in specific areas of the cities so they will have mixed reactions.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 PM

634 posts, read 897,414 times
Ok great, thanks for that info cuse I had wondered about Tulsa too. Streetcars seem to be the trend in every city so I wouldn't be surprised if the idea comes up one day for your cities.

Whatever they choose, I'm game. As a guest or newcomer, it is up to me to adapt, not tell natives what to do.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Streetcars are nothing more then moneysuckers. Gimmicks to make people feel good while taking money away from other needed services. The bus system in Oklahoma City sucks. My daughter tried to rely on it to get to and from work when we lived there. She'd often call me and ask me to come pick her up at the bus stop cause she'd been waiting for hours and it never came. I've seen broke busses down with people on them and come back by an hour later and their still there with the people still on them. And the bus stops are a joke. A sign alongside the road, that's it. I don't think outside of downtown I've ever seen a covered bus stop or a bench. Try that when the rain is coming down sideways or it's 105 degrees out. I'd get a car before I moved there.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 AM

93 posts, read 179,449 times
for people that can't drive (in my case due to visual impairment) or for folks who can't afford a vehicle, transit is vital. I wish oklahoma would put more money into these services.

I've applied for the disability van in norman. That'll do for now if I'm approved. turns out they may not approve you if you are capable of riding buses alone. Well I can, but I'd rather not wait two hours in 105 degrees on a broken bus and still have to to walk 2 miles when a van can come pick me up and take me right where I need to go.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrebel View Post
for people that can't drive (in my case due to visual impairment) or for folks who can't afford a vehicle, transit is vital. I wish oklahoma would put more money into these services.

I've applied for the disability van in norman. That'll do for now if I'm approved. turns out they may not approve you if you are capable of riding buses alone. Well I can, but I'd rather not wait two hours in 105 degrees on a broken bus and still have to to walk 2 miles when a van can come pick me up and take me right where I need to go.

You could always take a taxi. It would probably be quicker and more efficient. As for the government putting more money into it I think that they are stretched pretty thin. I know I sure don't want to see an increase in my taxes. I pay enough as it is.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
If I lived in OKC I would vote for a tax increase to improve the city bus service, especially if one of my children needed to use the bus system.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM

93 posts, read 179,449 times
cab fares get pretty expensive. though kudos to OKC for its share-a-fare program which at least reduces the costs. (though it still ain't cheap)

From what I can tell, norman doesn't have the share-a-fare thing so if I get stuck using the cab, it'll cost me alot more than the van will.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 PM

533 posts, read 1,711,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrebel View Post
cab fares get pretty expensive. though kudos to OKC for its share-a-fare program which at least reduces the costs. (though it still ain't cheap)

From what I can tell, norman doesn't have the share-a-fare thing so if I get stuck using the cab, it'll cost me alot more than the van will.
Public Transportation - CART | City of Norman, Oklahoma

Quote:
Public Transportation - CART
Cleveland Area Rapid Transit (CART) serves as an economic development engine for the City of Norman, carting citizens to work, school, medical appointments, shopping centers and elsewhere. CART is the public transit system of the City of Norman and The University of Oklahoma.

With more than 1 million passengers annually, CART boasts 10 fixed routes in and around Norman and on the OU campus, and a commuter route to Oklahoma City carting 120 people to and from work each day. CARTaccess, an ADA/paratransit system for the elderly and disabled, transports more than 30,000 passengers annually. CARTaccess, by appointment, travels all 188 square miles of Norman.

Public transportation is a vital link for citizens of Norman, and the reason many choose to live and study here. For more information on how to ride CART, when routes run, or the fare structure, visit CART. Get real-time bus information at www.CARTgps.com. For the latest news and information, follow CART on Twitter (@CARTNorman), like CART's Facebook page or phone (405) 325-2278.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City