Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 PM

67 posts, read 639,450 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently in the processes of accepting a Full Time Job at Tinker, and never been to OKC. I am not sure of the area. I have no clue where I should be looking to live. I recently graduated college and have no family in OKC so I have no direction as to what areas to look at when considering an apartment. I would like a fairly easy commute to work. I am okay with up to a 30 minute commute.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Midwest City is a part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area and is in close proximity to Tinker. It would be handy for you to live in Midwest City and many people do live there. The only drawback is the noise of airplanes flying in and out of the base. If that isn't a bother, then it's a good place to live. Here's a link to apartments: https://www.apartmentlist.com/ok/midwest-city Usually people from the east or west coast are pleasantly surprised at the cost for renting an apartment in this part of the country.

Congratulations on graduating college and welcome to Oklahoma! If you think the airplane noise would be too much, there are many apartments in Oklahoma City proper. It's been several years since I've been in OKC, but there used to be many nice apartments south of Southwest 74th, which would be an easy commute to Tinker.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 PM

67 posts, read 639,450 times
Thank you for the recommendation Rubi3. I have looked a little bit at apartments and have noticed the rent isn't like what I am use to seeing. It gives me a good starting point, I appreciate your input.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:21 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
OKC is a small city so you could live almost anywhere and the commute wouldn't be too bad. I would recommend living downtown if you can especially if you are single. It's a little bit more expensive but its worth it especially if you want to have an active social life. Commuting from downtown to Tinker should take you somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC is a small city so you could live almost anywhere and the commute wouldn't be too bad. I would recommend living downtown if you can especially if you are single. It's a little bit more expensive but its worth it especially if you want to have an active social life. Commuting from downtown to Tinker should take you somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes.
Would you mind to give more details about what goes on downtown for an active social life? It would be very helpful, I think.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Would you mind to give more details about what goes on downtown for an active social life? It would be very helpful, I think.
In the suburbs of OKC the streets pretty much roll up at 8PM. There is little in the way of nightlife or social life that doesn't involve PTA meetings or church. Now downtown OKC is still pretty sleepy by big city standards but its where you will find most people with more active lifestyles. Suburbs here are for raising families. I am just making sure the OP knows that.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM

Thanks, perhaps it's different now, but there were plenty of people living in OKC who didn't go to church or PTA meeting. Some did, but plenty didn't. The only thing I was going by is when I lived in OKC the active hot spots weren't downtown. Downtown was dead. One was in the basement of a tall building at Penn Square... (can't think of its name). Then farther down May off to the right, but not too far. Then there was one in the basement of Penn Square, which could be accessed by stairs or a slide. These places and others were hot for a few months, then another place would open and the crowds would move there. Only once was there a place downtown and it didn't last long. All this was before liquor by the drink became legal, so I'm behind the times... lol The club at Holiday Inn on the road to the airport was also hot back then and a couple of country music places down south. The Red Carpet Inn if it's still there. On Wednesday afternoons the band would start at 2pm and play until 2 am, except for breaks. On the day my divorce was granted I danced for eleven hours.

Most of the places mentioned were frequented by professional people who liked to go to clubs. The country/western clubs were a bit different, but some white collar were there mixed with blue collar.

I'm sure there are still many who don't have reason to attend PTA and don't go to church. It's hard to believe there is no evening activity anywhere but downtown OKC. I realize I would have to live there to know for sure.

The places mentioned were all in OKC proper, not suburbs. It may be dead in Midwest City, I don't know. Young people who live there will know.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Rubi3, that was the case in the 1980s and even into the 1990s but is no longer reality in OKC today. Many of the places you mention that are still there have become somewhat seedy establishments (like the bar at the Red Carpet Inn).

Today pretty much all of the nightlife geared to the 21-34 crowd is concentrated downtown.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Stay out of downtown OKC. No grocery stores, no nothing. Unless you wanna spend all your spare time in bars and have to worry about gang bangers at night it's not a place you wanna live.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
^
Ignore this old fool. DTOKC is the best area for professionals. I lived in this area and it was quite popular with a lot of younger Tinker airmen and employees. I would not live near the base, it is not the nicest of areas.

What is your price range, rent-wise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City