Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:06 PM

34 posts, read 116,298 times

Advertisements

Hi! Due to my husband’s job, he and I will be moving from Central AR to OKC sometime this winter. Due to the way that COVID-19 has changed the work environment, his job may go virtual in a couple of years, so I’m hesitant to buy a home; therefore, we’re looking to rent a home.

Here are my questions:

1) Where are some nice areas around the Will Rogers airport to live? (My husband’s new office is at the airport, and he’d prefer not to spend more than 20-30 minutes driving to work.)

2) I’m a teacher, so any recommendations on good school districts in which to teach?

3) On a rental budget of $1,200-1,400 per month, will we be able to afford a modest-size (1400-1800 sq ft), newer (less than 10 yeas old) home in a safe neighborhood?

4) Other than Zillow, I’m not sure how to look for rent houses in the area. Could anyone recommend some rental companies?

5) What some highlights to see in OKC? I’ve got Bricktown on my list, and it would be cool to see a Thunder’s game.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 02:31 PM

17,816 posts, read 13,724,212 times
1) Mustang/Newcastle/Yukon

2) Anywhere but OKC

3) My guess is the budget is fine but finding a house will be a bit tough in some of the areas.

4) Don't know

5) There are several things downtown. Murrah Memorial, a few Museums and entertainment districts. Boathouse/Midtown/Plaza/Lake Hefner/Norman and OU.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:42 PM

Would Norman or Edmond be too far from the Will Rogers airport?

Old 09-08-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_girl View Post
Would Norman or Edmond be too far from the Will Rogers airport?
They aren't really that far but with traffic it will be more than 30 minutes. Depending on where you live in Edmond and Norman (west side) you could get there in 30 minutes if traffic flows normally.

I forgot to mention that you could live on the west side of Moore and it would be a very short commute to the airport if you could find a rental house in that area as it's fairly expensive through there.

I do think you have some good options and will be able to find something that works for you.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 PM

Thank you so much for the information! Today, my husband had a virtual meeting with his boss, and even though we may be living in OKC, he may be teleworking quite a bit. I say all that to say that we might have the option of including cities that are a bit further than our original 30 minute radius.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for the information! Today, my husband had a virtual meeting with his boss, and even though we may be living in OKC, he may be teleworking quite a bit. I say all that to say that we might have the option of including cities that are a bit further than our original 30 minute radius.
If you want a smaller town further out that's great but that's what you better be looking for if you go much past the suburban towns. It gets "country" pretty fast around here.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:58 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,970,038 times
Quote:
Hi! Due to my husband’s job, he and I will be moving from Central AR to OKC sometime this winter. Due to the way that COVID-19 has changed the work environment, his job may go virtual in a couple of years, so I’m hesitant to buy a home; therefore, we’re looking to rent a home.

Here are my questions:

1) Where are some nice areas around the Will Rogers airport to live? (My husband’s new office is at the airport, and he’d prefer not to spend more than 20-30 minutes driving to work.)

2) I’m a teacher, so any recommendations on good school districts in which to teach?

3) On a rental budget of $1,200-1,400 per month, will we be able to afford a modest-size (1400-1800 sq ft), newer (less than 10 yeas old) home in a safe neighborhood?

4) Other than Zillow, I’m not sure how to look for rent houses in the area. Could anyone recommend some rental companies?

5) What some highlights to see in OKC? I’ve got Bricktown on my list, and it would be cool to see a Thunder’s game.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Mustang is only fifteen minutes from the Airport. It's safe, quiet, and cheap. My two room apartment is only $900 per month, not sure about houses. Anywhere along the turnpike would be a quick commute to the airport, also in a nice area.

Mustang is also not too far from the turnpike, you can get to Costco either by freeway or by turnpike in 30 minutes.

The OKC memorial and Museum is a world class, though sobering, tribute to the victims of the terrorist bombing. They renovated the interior a few years ago. It's been rated one of the top museums in the country.

The Myriad Botanical Gardens is nice, too, with a large indoor conservatory and outdoor gardens with an ice skating rink during winter. Across the street is Scissortail Park, a brand new, urban park with a lake and next to a historic train depot. There's also the Boathouse district along the Oklahoma River. And Edmond is also a neat place to walk around, see some model homes, very ritzy area. OKC even has a downtown streetcar, and the tallest building in OKC, Devon Tower, has a restaurant open to the public on the top floor. OU has the world's largest college football stadium.

On July 4th, I highly recommend stopping by Mustang City Hall. Every independence day, for a couple days leading up to July 4, amateurs will swamp the park and launch huge, artillery shell, fireworks for several hours straight. The fireworks then are far bigger than most professional fireworks displays, even.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 PM

Thank you! I’ll definitely put Mustang on my list of cities to consider! You’re the second person to suggest it.

What about Moore?

Old 09-11-2020, 06:45 AM

7,892 posts, read 11,422,651 times
Moore gets a bad reputation as a result of the history of big tornadoes hitting that area. I think its a mix of bad luck and science in its location on the SE side of the OKC metro. Tornadoes generally move to the NW after developing over open land un interrupted by many structures. Then they charge NW. Mustang has this same geographic situation as Moore but has not had the tornado action and reputation of Moore.

My view on tornado risk is it is manageable if one has as safe place to go at home and work and if one follows the forecasting during high risk of tornado times. That said the risk is not zero but the savage impacts are in small areas generally so this is where luck comes in

Old 09-12-2020, 02:16 PM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Considering that Mustang covers roughly 12 square miles with about 7500 households and average resident age under 40 plus town focused on primary education - rental inventory is very limited while tract homes are cheap. Contact local real estate agents. Some may handle rentals.

As far as safe is concerned - sidewalks go up when the sun goes down, PD is local, firefighters have their lawn services. Beauty shops still outnumber CBD stores, one mediocre WalMart (focused on on-line customers), one rather shabby Cash Saver grocery store.

Medical/dental options depend on your insurance.

City amenities are on the official web site. Library is geared towards kids as is all of Mustang.

Fast food, pizza, a local coffee roaster/shop.

Contact local school districts about openings and requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City