Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2024, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,564 times

Advertisements

If you were to move to Oklahoma City now with a commute to Tinker and children in high school, which areas/schools/cities/neighborhoods/ would you look at? Any that you would avoid? Children are strong academically, involved in jrotc, track, cross country, soccer and football. Looking for strong schools (don't need "the best") and a good community. We are military and have lived all around the world so we are familiar with the uniqueness that each area brings and are looking forward to enjoying OKC, but some guidance on areas to look would be great. Thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 02:42 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
While I would bet that Tinker gets commuters from probably every community in the metro...

I would say that the preferred option of many people in your situation is Choctaw. I would say next would be Moore, then Norman or Edmond. by the time you get to Norman or Edmond the commute becomes a little more bearish.

However, another option is the Carl Albert district of Midwest City which abuts the east gate of the Air Base. I think the school is decent but the area isn't as safe or as nice as the other burbs.

If you'd like something smaller, McCloud, Harrah, Jones and Dale are more rural... have good schools and sports and are not too far from the base.

As I said though, you could live anywhere in the metro and get to the base in an hour or less. And that is worth considering because there are some other nice towns/schools in the metro that are further away. Just stay out of OKC schools and don't go anywhere in Mid-Del schools EXCEPT for Carl Albert.

For a while I lived in NE Norman and commuted to a job just NE of the base. It took me roughly 35-40 minutes. Probably 45-50 minutes these days.

Old 02-22-2024, 04:17 PM

Thank you for your reply. Due to activities that my kids are involved in it looks like our options are: Choctaw, Edmond North, Mustang, Putnam City West and Putnam City. Any insight into the areas that feed these high schools?

Old 02-22-2024, 06:33 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Mustang is easily within commute to Tinker. Very much focused on education. Contact the school about programs you are interested in. Please let me know if you need assistance.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:33 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportygal_22 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Due to activities that my kids are involved in it looks like our options are: Choctaw, Edmond North, Mustang, Putnam City West and Putnam City. Any insight into the areas that feed these high schools?
Out of that group Choctaw, Mustang and Edmond North would be best as far as schools or neighborhoods unless you want to live in OKC itself. Putnam City school district has peaked. Edmond is stabilized. Mustang and Choctaw are hot school districts with a lot of momentum.

The two cities are somewhat similar. Both tiny towns that have exploded in the last thirty or forty years. Choctaw is in the woods so it is a little greener and hillier and it is closer to Tinker. But I'd give both of those places a pretty hard look. If you chose Mustang you will want fairly quick access to I-40 to keep your commute reasonable.

Edmond North is the "snob" public school in Edmond. But... Edmond is a very nice town that has more amenities than the other two... unfortunately, you would need to live as close as you can (in the district) to I-35 your commute is going to be pretty difficult. And if you live close to I-35 it is a kind of a slow commute back over to Edmond North.

Old 02-26-2024, 11:44 AM

Thank you all for the insight. Looking to come out the beginning of next month to get a feel for the area. Your detailed replies and input help to give direction and a place to start. Thank you for offering and sharing your opinions/experiences.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Personally, having lived on the eastside (MWC/Choctaw) and the north side (Edmond), I’d give Mustang a shot.

I found Edmond to be a bit snooty and the traffic is pretty bad in the central and east parts of Edmond. And it’s spread out. Some of the sports you have to shell out a lot of money to have your kids play and compete.

The eastside is very pretty with lots of woods and crisstimbers so that’s a plus. And it will be the closest to Tinker.

Mustang is a a real up and comer. Some good churches over there. The only downside in Mustang is you’re full on in the Southern Plains over there. Not the prettiest area.

Welcome to The Great State of Oklahoma! Hope ya’ll have a wonderful experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City