Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
I have to laugh at this thread. From neighborhood information, to labeling people by where they live, and the political sideshow, hilarious.
I agree, techienomad. I have a good friend from Edmond and he is not anything like the generalizations described above.

Generaralizations are partial truths, kind of like stereotypes. And I guess you could say a partial truth is an untruth.

We live in a trailer in rural Oklahoma, so I guess that makes us country bumpkins, right? Whatever. To each his own. Some will love Edmond and some will thumb their nose at it. I am indifferent to it, but definitely not a hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM

11 posts, read 35,225 times
You might also consider looking west toward Yukon. The areas north of Lake Hefner can be very nice; as you move further west, Yukon has some great neighborhoods to choose from.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 35,225 times
jojobee - Each of the major areas of OKC have their own municipal website with great organization links and info on their schools. If schools are your primary reason for selecting an area, there's a lot to be said for any of the school systems, it just depends which actual school your child attends. Moore, Edmond, Choctaw, Yukon, Putnam City, and Western Heights are the highest on most folks' list.
As for the tornadoes, opinions vary. What you can count on, though, is we have what is arguably the best storm warning system in the US. If a tornado is headed toward your area, you'll usually have warning on the radio and TV 30 minutes in advance. Of course, you have to be tuned in to get that much warning. Otherwise, most areas have warning sirens that will give you about 10-15 minutes warning. If you're still nervous about it, a simple shelter can be had for less than $2,000; but you can spend up to $7,000 to get more room or even upgrade to a safe-room.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 AM

19 posts, read 56,591 times
That would be somewhere in the city, along May to Pennsylvania Avenue. They have the densest population there. Everywhere else in the city is niche of suburb and rural. Norman is also nice and have alot of sexy babes. Prostitution is also available. Lol, j/k.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 106,613 times
Thanks for all the replys..........is there any advice on the mosquites there. How to prevent them and are they really bad?? What would be a good location to be close to Quail Springs Pkwy??
Thanks for any advice.........

Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM

259 posts, read 1,073,147 times
No one has really answered your rental home question, so I'll help you out a bit. Sterling Property Management is a good place to search for one, Sterling Property Management. They usually rent out new to a few year old homes that do not sell in Ideal Homes neighborhoods. We built our 1st home with Ideal Homes and love the nieghborhood (Fountain Grass at SW 29th and Morgan). There are many young families as well as retirees since the houses are small (under 1600 sq ft). However in their neighborhood, Valenica (Edmond area), homes range from small to large.

Anyways hopefully the website I gave will give you some good rental options.
Even living down in Yukon/Mustang area, you will have a quick commute via the turnpike to quail springs. Personally we love the area we are at, it has a country feel but is so convenient to I-40 and the turnpike.
If you're looking for big old trees and older homes, then Yukon/Mustang definitely isn't for you. It's all fields and little trees out here.

Oh and finally in regards to Mosquitos, they're only bad after it rains for a period of time, such as late spring. But usually our summers are far too hot and dry to worry about them. I lived in Houston for 10 hrs and mosquitos were SO much worse there.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 52,418 times
There is no humidity in OKC people. I live in Louisiana...have for the past 4 years...I sweat just walking to the mailbox and need a shower just thinking about it. I can't wait to get back to OKC and the dry air and wind that keeps you cool.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM

259 posts, read 1,073,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canscrap4u2 View Post
There is no humidity in OKC people. I live in Louisiana...have for the past 4 years...I sweat just walking to the mailbox and need a shower just thinking about it. I can't wait to get back to OKC and the dry air and wind that keeps you cool.
I agree...after growing up in New Orleans and Houston the humidty here is nothing. Even though summers are brutally hot, the dry air and wind make it bearable, especially in the shade. I'd rather suffer through 100+ degree weather here than 90 degree weather in the south.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 17,587 times
Default What about weather

While I'm concerned about a safe place to live. I'm always worried about weather. I know I may have some misconceptions about Oklahoma. But my biggest fear is tornadoes or floods. Is there any place in OK that tornadoes are not common. All in all, what's the weather in OK like. I'll be moving from FL, and will be on my own most of the time because my husband's work requires him to travel. I'm looking for a safe place, driving distance to the city and university as well as close to fun outdoor attractions, like hiking and swimming. Any ideas???

Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canscrap4u2 View Post
You haven't been here this June I guess.. it's been miserable.. lots of humidity. Typically June is the most humid month, then July into September if it stays dry, humidity levels will drop considerably.. you are right about Louisiana, there you have lots of humidity almost year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City