Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM

774 posts, read 1,858,545 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Tulsa and while I like it ... I plan on moving to a more rural area within the next few years. I've lived in classic cities for far too long and I see no reason to return ... but I want to be within an hour's drive of one.

My question is... what (if anything) is different (for a middle age African American who plans to do some small farming ...) in the Oklahoma City area than Tulsa?

1. Are the people different? (If so, how?)

2. Is there any more small towns or "back woods" where blacks are farming and living in harmony with whites? (I looked at a few places in Arkansas and it looked like 1953 down "thar".)

In short, what do the areas around and outside of Oklahoma City have that Tulsa lacks? (Is one any better than the other?)

Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
I don't think you'll find the people in OkC any different than you've found in Tulsa. People in OkC are very nice, much like the whole state. As far as small towns, there are hundreds of them and you'd just need to get some info from the locals for the specific town. I came from a very small town in SE Oklahoma that had very few African Americans but those that did live there were treated absolutely no different from anyone else. I keep going back to this, but I believe the lack of racism in Oklahoma (when compared to other states) is due to the large Native American population there. Okies are accustomed to being around people that are not of their skin color and heritage. Most of us grew up and were friends with many Native Americans for most of our lives and so color seems to be less of an issue than it is in many other areas (IMO). I hope this helps somewhat. Veganwriter, you have a great attitude and I think that goes A LONG way toward being accepted in any community. I wish you nothing but the best of luck wherever you end up.

Edit: I have to add this. If you do end up in a small town where there are very few AAs, you probably will get a few stares now and then because people might be surprised to see you. I would take that in stride, check out the place, talk to people, and get a good feel for an area. I'm not saying you won't encounter racism, because (sadly) it exists everywhere. Knuckleheads populate all areas of this great country, but in some areas they are fewer and farther between.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:57 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,625,397 times
Hi Vegan

On the east side of Oklahoma City there is a community of black people who live a rural lifestyle. I used to drive through that area on my way to work. I would often see see black guys riding their horses along the roads. That might be too cowboy for you, but it would be interesting to drive through if you happen to be in the area. Spencer and north of Choctaw would be the area I'm talking about. There is a rodeo arena in the area for a black riding club.

Adding to my other post after reflecting on your screen name, Vegan:

I used to vary my commute routes (NE 23, NE 36, NE 50, NE 63) so I could keep my eye out for veggie stands. When I lived in Harrah, I did not have time to raise my own garden, so I had to rely on kindly older black and white gentlemen who set up under a shade tree to sell 'maters when they had an abundance of garden bounty.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-18-2007 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,462,342 times
Vegan, I think we met on the food forum or some place. Glad to know there's a few of us in the world. No animals for this chic either.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
The area north of Spencer was originally called Greenpastures and was the home of Dunjee schools around which the community formed. Dunjee closed when the schools integrated and those students moved over to Star Spencer High School
It is true that it has more of a rural feel.

There are a number of traditionally african american towns throughout Oklahoma. I think at one point there were 20-30 of them however most of them have died out or become part of the area surrounding them. The two most famous towns are Langston (home of Langston University) and Boley (which at one time was so prosperous that Pretty Boy Floyd robbed the local bank).

Most of the other towns are located around the Muskogee and Okmulgee areas although there are a couple that are between Davis and Duncan Oklahoma as well.

Earlsboro which is between Seminole and Shawnee is another one that comes to mind.

Although the towns have dried up there are still a lot of local black people who stay out there.

Another of these towns is Arcadia Oklahoma which is outside of Edmond. Arcadia has given way to suburban developement but there are still a lot of people in that area that farm between there, Luther and Jones.

As far as OKC and Tulsa, one advantage of OKC is that many of OKC's Black Neighboorhoods are include some nice developements (Wildwood, Millwood area, Forest Park) and are right by some of OKC's attractions (Remington Park, the zoo, Tinseltown, two golf courses, the Capitol, the Cowboy Hall of Fame) and access to downtown, Bricktown and the OU Health Science center are excellent.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,625,397 times
Great post, Eddie!

Vegan, here is a link you might enjoy. Think road trip.

Tulsa City-County Library - Collections & Services - African ... (broken link)

Last edited by peggydavis; 08-19-2007 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Added a link

Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
Wow, really interesting website peggy. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:54 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,693 times
Smile Good Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The area north of Spencer was originally called Greenpastures and was the home of Dunjee schools around which the community formed. Dunjee closed when the schools integrated and those students moved over to Star Spencer High School
It is true that it has more of a rural feel.

There are a number of traditionally african american towns throughout Oklahoma. I think at one point there were 20-30 of them however most of them have died out or become part of the area surrounding them. The two most famous towns are Langston (home of Langston University) and Boley (which at one time was so prosperous that Pretty Boy Floyd robbed the local bank).

Most of the other towns are located around the Muskogee and Okmulgee areas although there are a couple that are between Davis and Duncan Oklahoma as well.

Earlsboro which is between Seminole and Shawnee is another one that comes to mind.

Although the towns have dried up there are still a lot of local black people who stay out there.

Another of these towns is Arcadia Oklahoma which is outside of Edmond. Arcadia has given way to suburban developement but there are still a lot of people in that area that farm between there, Luther and Jones.

As far as OKC and Tulsa, one advantage of OKC is that many of OKC's Black Neighboorhoods are include some nice developements (Wildwood, Millwood area, Forest Park) and are right by some of OKC's attractions (Remington Park, the zoo, Tinseltown, two golf courses, the Capitol, the Cowboy Hall of Fame) and access to downtown, Bricktown and the OU Health Science center are excellent.

Good post Eddie. The attractions are not in the middle of any residential properties and has many rolling hills and large trees. The district is called the adventure district...seems like everyone has a district for everything!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:44 PM

66 posts, read 246,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm new to Tulsa and while I like it ... I plan on moving to a more rural area within the next few years. I've lived in classic cities for far too long and I see no reason to return ... but I want to be within an hour's drive of one.
That's too bad; the closest big city is Dallas/Fort Worth, and it's almost 4 hours from Tulsa. Little Rock's farther, but I'd hardly call it a big city, any more than I would Wichita, Kansas.

Quote:
My question is... what (if anything) is different (for a middle age African American who plans to do some small farming ...) in the Oklahoma City area than Tulsa?
I'd say you have nicer scenery, you have Green Country, which means you'll have plenty of lakes, real trees not scrub oaks, and small ponds which could come in handy for agriculture. My cousin works for the Department of Agriculture and could probably answer a lot of that for you.

Quote:
1. Are the people different? (If so, how?)
People are people everywhere, racism is here like it is everywhere, just nowhere near as open as it used to be. Bear in mind it's not just a black/white world in the more populated areas of the state. There's a fairly large brown and yellow contingent as well. Although, I've noticed far more Native people (Indians) in the northeast than I do down here.

Quote:
2. Is there any more small towns or "back woods" where blacks are farming and living in harmony with whites? (I looked at a few places in Arkansas and it looked like 1953 down "thar".)
If "in harmony" means side-by-side, but not necessarily in the same neighborhood, you might consider Luther, Oklahoma. Several generations of my family have lived and died there. Blacks and whites don't live together, but they don't cause each other trouble, either. My great-grandfather had a farm in Lincoln County that some white people are trying to get the mineral rights to, and all up and down 66 highway between Luther and Chandler you'll find black-owned acreage. They just recently formed an NAACP branch in Luther, you might contact them if you need more information.

Might also check out Meridian, in Logan county, west of Guthrie. Plenty of nothing out there that might be ripe for a farm, and it's a black town, if you feel you have to live around "your own kind", so to speak. Although, the population's probably up to about 30 people! My aunt was good friends with the mayor and his wife. All church people, which leads me to my next suggestion. Hook up with a Church of the Living God in the Tulsa County area; the congregants should be able to supply you with PLENTY of truthful information regarding race relations in Oklahoma.

Quote:
In short, what do the areas around and outside of Oklahoma City have that Tulsa lacks? (Is one any better than the other?)
I'd say paved roads.

I wish I could find that article I used to have about the black family in North Tulsa who is raising vegetables and selling them. As an actual business, I mean. I think they even raise lavender, but I could be wrong. They sell on their property and at the Farmer's Market on weekends. Which, by the way, would be another good place to find "kindred spirits". I personally would say that unless you absolutely hated the Tulsa area, stay up by Claremore or wherever you plan to settle.

As the original poster you have yet to respond to your own post, but I ran across a blog on wordpress.com from someone who could just about be you. Someone from California who moved to Tulsa. If this isn't you, you can find some other info there. And if it is, good job!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,693 times
Default How pathetic can one be.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMGOK View Post
That's too bad; the closest big city is Dallas/Fort Worth, and it's almost 4 hours from Tulsa. Little Rock's farther, but I'd hardly call it a big city, any more than I would Wichita, Kansas.

I'd say you have nicer scenery, you have Green Country, which means you'll have plenty of lakes, real trees not scrub oaks, and small ponds which could come in handy for agriculture. My cousin works for the Department of Agriculture and could probably answer a lot of that for you.

People are people everywhere, racism is here like it is everywhere, just nowhere near as open as it used to be. Bear in mind it's not just a black/white world in the more populated areas of the state. There's a fairly large brown and yellow contingent as well. Although, I've noticed far more Native people (Indians) in the northeast than I do down here.

If "in harmony" means side-by-side, but not necessarily in the same neighborhood, you might consider Luther, Oklahoma. Several generations of my family have lived and died there. Blacks and whites don't live together, but they don't cause each other trouble, either. My great-grandfather had a farm in Lincoln County that some white people are trying to get the mineral rights to, and all up and down 66 highway between Luther and Chandler you'll find black-owned acreage. They just recently formed an NAACP branch in Luther, you might contact them if you need more information.

Might also check out Meridian, in Logan county, west of Guthrie. Plenty of nothing out there that might be ripe for a farm, and it's a black town, if you feel you have to live around "your own kind", so to speak. Although, the population's probably up to about 30 people! My aunt was good friends with the mayor and his wife. All church people, which leads me to my next suggestion. Hook up with a Church of the Living God in the Tulsa County area; the congregants should be able to supply you with PLENTY of truthful information regarding race relations in Oklahoma.

I'd say paved roads.

I wish I could find that article I used to have about the black family in North Tulsa who is raising vegetables and selling them. As an actual business, I mean. I think they even raise lavender, but I could be wrong. They sell on their property and at the Farmer's Market on weekends. Which, by the way, would be another good place to find "kindred spirits". I personally would say that unless you absolutely hated the Tulsa area, stay up by Claremore or wherever you plan to settle.

As the original poster you have yet to respond to your own post, but I ran across a blog on wordpress.com from someone who could just about be you. Someone from California who moved to Tulsa. If this isn't you, you can find some other info there. And if it is, good job!
Do I need to type anymore...I think we all KNOW what this so-called poster is trying to get at....BARF. HELLO McFly Knock...knock...I thought OKC was a cattle town. Now we dont even have that anymore. This cracks me up more than how N.Texas played OU tonight. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City