Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 AM

5 posts, read 16,077 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Edmond in July and I am looking into elementary schools.
Are the deer creek schools the best? How about the schools in Edmond district? Can you recommend some nice schools? nice neighborhoods? The deer creek school district neighborhoods looks a bit countryish... just being developed.. did I see it right?
Also does anyone know about butterflycreek villas in Edmond? This seems to be the only nice duplex I can find in Edmond. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 06:26 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Both Edmond and Deer Creek schools are very good. When we moved here a few years ago, we were looking at high schools and we choose the Edmond district over the Deer Creek district because of its size among other things. Deer Creek did seem to be bit of a rural district at the time we moved, but just in the few years we've been here it has really gorwn. There are many very nice subdivisions that feed into the Deer Creek district, and it seems to be more of a suburban rather than rural district than it did, but it is still relatively small. We just found that Edmond schools just had more to offer. We were moving from a very large, district and our kids just couldn't handle the idea of such a small school. My oldest sons class back home was bigger than the entire Deer Creek high school. We had been told also that Deer Creek High School was not very welcoming of "new kids". We figured it was hard enough to move in high school. We didn't want to make it more difficult than it had to be.

Also, we just liked the eastern side of Edmond better. More hills and trees. Mores established neighborhoods. Closer to what we wanted to be close to. And mostly closer to I-35, making my husbands commute easier.

I'm not familiar with Butterfly Creek. Actually I'm not familiar with any duplexes in Edmond. I know I've seen some duplexes, but I can't think of where any are, other than some near UCO.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:19 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times
Deer Creek School district is "countryish", but as mentioned it is becoming more urban (to my dismay). Deer Creek has grown tremendously over the last couple of years. All 3 school levels (Elem, Middle, and High) were at one point on the same grounds. They are now working on a 5th elem school and a 2nd middle school. With this much growth I would suspect a 2nd High school will be in the future as well. Granted it is not as large as the Edmond school district, but with a lot of the new neighborhood in Edmond being in the Deer Creek school district it will continue to grow.

I have a daughter that goes to school at Prairie Vale. So far we feel it has been a good school and they have worked with us very well.

I am not personally familiar with the Butterfly Creek Villas, but I am familiar with the area of town they are in (Santa Fe between 150th/33rd and 164th/15th). This area is a nice area, with some industrial close by... if the wind is blowing the right direction you will smell the Purina dog food plant. Don't let that bother you though.. you don't always smell it and you will probably get use to it over time. If you move into this area you child would go to Edmond Santa Fe H.S., this is a good HS, but maybe I am a bit partial as I attended SFHS.... 10 yrs ago.

Nice duplexes may be hard to find in Edmond, there are a few older duplexes around, but most people that move to Edmond like their large houses.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 AM

5 posts, read 16,077 times
Default Thank you for the info...

It's not that I haven't thought about a living in the house, but my huspand goes to business trips very often and I don't like to be alone in the house with my kids..also I want the maintenance offered from the duplex and a swimming pool inside the community..
My kids will be in the 3rd and 5th grade(elementary) and all the information I can get is from greatschools.net.
Does anyone know anything about Angie Debbo or Charles Haskell Elementary School? Are the neigborhoods around these schools nice? The Ethincity seems to be much diverce than the other schools in the Edmond District- Centennial, Cross Timbers, Northern Hills etc.....
I heard a lot of good things abour Clergen and Russel Dougherty but I heard you need to go through the lottery to get in.
Are all the schools in the Edmond district neck & neck? am I thinking too much?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I wasn't even aware that there were any duplex communities with pools and such in Edmond. The only duplexes I've ever seen were just in regular neighborhoods. Duplexes are not really very common here. I'm not saying there aren't any, just not very common. After reading prerunners post commenting on where the Butterfly Creek Villas are, I will say I agree with him, they are in a pretty nice area of town. Most anywhere in Edmond will be nice.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM

602 posts, read 1,873,364 times
You really aren't going to go wrong in any of the schools in Edmond or Deer Creek. Edmond as a whole is an upscale suburb of OKC. My friends and I like to call it the "Beverly Hills" of Oklahoma . Most of the duplexes you will find in Edmond are centered around college students. Lower end of the budget, small and older. I've never lived in Butterfly creek, but you could probably rent a decent home and pay a lawn service for the same price you would pay for the duplex. You may find that some subdivisions have HOA's which pay for pools and lawncare as well. I know that Coffee Creek does that and it has two nice pools, the golf course and lawn care (my SO's parents own a home there). As these are nice additions, you may have difficulty actually finding a home to rent and not purchase though

Old 05-14-2010, 06:05 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanyuna View Post
also I want the maintenance offered from the duplex and a swimming pool inside the community..
I think Butterfly Creek may be your best bet in this regard... I am not aware of any other duplex type communities in Edmond that have this.

Most other duplexes as mentioned are older and near the University.

As far as the schools go, not having any kids in the Edmond school district and only attending two of them myself (10-15 years ago) I can't really comment, but I would imagine they would all be pretty similar.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,977 times
Deer Creek Schools routinely have the best testing scores in the state, but Edmond schools are not far behind... you won't go wrong with either when it comes to an education.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM

40 posts, read 121,945 times
Default Charles Haskell or Angie Debo

I too looking for a elementary school in edmond.
Of these two schools which one is better?
Charles Haskell
Angie Debo

I see good ratings about Charles Haskell from great schools website, can anyone here suggest me which one to pick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City