Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM

181 posts, read 305,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Just heard a report on the local radio about the drought....both the announcer and one of the interviewees referred to OK as a "Great Plains" state or "Southern Plains" state. Granted, they were interviewing farmers in Southwestern OK, but still...
There is a difference between a Great Plains state and a Southern Plains state. The Great Plains is a region where the High Plains and Southern Plains are microregions within the Great Plains. If they were interviewing farmers in Southwestern OK, then it is likely that they referred to it as a Southern Plains state, which would be fairly accurate (since most of the state falls within the Plains). The Oklahoma Panhandle is the only area that is considered as the High Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:44 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
The Great Plains - From the University of Nebraska.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:16 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
I I used to visit that place a lot and have rarely heard a "ya'll" from anyone, but then again, I haven't met everyone who lives in Oklahoma.
And then I move from CA where we used to say, "You guys," and now I say "Ya'll." I mean when you think of it, what is this "You guys?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I would say Oklahoma is in that region of the US the says "Worsh" & "Worshington".
I am from CA, and I have always said "worsh" and "Worshington." Got it from my mother who grew up in Texas.

I think of Texas as a Southwestern State, so since we are right above it, why not Central something. Oklahoma doesn't feel southern to me since I have lived in the south, but it doesn't feel southwestern either. It just feels like the center of the world.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 05-30-2014 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM

181 posts, read 305,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

It fits best as the great plains (northern and southern) but if we were going to classify the great plains in the typical model that is argued on C-D, then the northern great plains has to be classified as "midwestern" while the southern great plains has to be classified as "southern" or "southwestern".
I agree. Oklahoma is SouthxSouthwest. I can't take credit for that statement (credit goes to BassCatfish2008) but I agree with it.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:08 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
The Great Plains - From the University of Nebraska.
That is not an accurate map of the plains. The map I posted is based on satellite imagery and is the actual geographical location of the great plains. Oklahoma City nor Tulsa is situated in the Great Plains.

I'm sorry that bothers you. Once again I will show you and the other windmill and wheat field Okies where the actual plains are situated.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:12 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
So here is what this thread has revealed.

1.Oklahoma is a southern state. Geographically, culturally and historically.
2. Most Okies understand that Oklahoma is a southern state
3. Those who think Oklahoma is part of the Midwest are usually
a)from Tulsa
b)from California
c)don't understand where the midwest is (usually transplants from the coastal areas)
d)don't want Oklahoma to be associated with southern culture.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
johnnotspecial, you do not know what most people think.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
That is not an accurate map of the plains. The map I posted is based on satellite imagery and is the actual geographical location of the great plains. Oklahoma City nor Tulsa is situated in the Great Plains.

I'm sorry that bothers you. Once again I will show you and the other windmill and wheat field Okies where the actual plains are situated.
Satellite imagery. Good one, and a lie.
Your map is lifted from a Virginia middle school history teacher's website.
About the Author

Mine is from the University of Nebraska's Center for Great Plains Studies.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:34 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Satellite imagery. Good one, and a lie.
Your map is lifted from a Virginia middle school history teacher's website.
About the Author

Mine is from the University of Nebraska's Center for Great Plains Studies.
I really don't agree with either map. John Spayshalls map doesn't include western Oklahoma which is ridiculous. I'd say that the plains in Oklahoma start along I-35 or HWY 81 depending on what part of Oklahoma you are in as the cross timbers extend to HWY 81 in some regions.

On the U Nebraska map, I don't consider the eastern 1/4 of Kansas, and maybe the eastern 1/8th of Nebraska the great plains. In Oklahoma, they are considering the tall grass prairies as great plains. I really don't think it fits the real model of the great plains, nor does the area around Stillwater and points south. It's too wooded around there to be the plains for the most part.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:04 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
The map that John posted is good for the most part except they took a huge chunk of Oklahoma and a North Texas for whatever reason. That chunk is still parts of the Great Plains. The U of Nebraska map is interesting and I am curious to their logic to include eastern KS, NE, SD, and ND? Maybe elevation slopes down gently from the Rockies and stops sloping down when it reaches the eastern border of their map?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma